• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Trams

froth..i am no expert on erdington but the tree on the right..would that be where the church is...

Lyn:):)

Well Spotted Lyn, but I've just noticed the buildings farther up, they are still there. The trees are where Owen Owen was, maybe the church that use to be there?

Tram 227 was new in 1907, and with the rest of its class had a top cover fitted between 1919 and 1923. Quite a wide range of dates, but can someone with a Kellys check on numbers and dates for J.E. Reeves and son, plumbers and R. Slaney, boot and shoe suppliers?

Hi Astoness, you should recognise attached pic of the good old 3x before being replaced about 1951 by the 39 bus at junction of Park Rd and Sycamore Rd by Sycamore pub, or was it before your time Eric

hi alf..thanks for that...

eric great pic that...yes the trams were a tad before my time...

lyn:):)

Meanwhile, seen here in Cotteridge Depot in 1952 is Birmingham's last but one newest tram again, No. 842. Hard to believe this car would be scrapped soon after the photo was taken.

Alf and Astoness, bought that print (framed) with another one of Aston Cross from Four Seasons Galleries in Erdington at least 20 years ago, painted by Davron in 1980
They had a wonderful collection of tram prints, the 3x was my local tram when I lived in Aston in the 40s so I was pleased to get it, especially as the Sycamore pub was the stop I normally used. Eric

That's an interesting one Templer, taken soon after the trams had finished as the overhead is gone and the track ashphalted over. Here is the same spot a bit earlier with the trams still running.

This gem has just gone in to my collection. Posted in 1905, we have Small Heath Park as the terminus of the new fangled electric trams. Note the track junction, this was to the original Steam Tram Depot which also had a passeger waiting room at the entrance. The waiting room survived well up to the 1970's for other uses. My last recall of it was having a nameboard over it with a RAF type roundel logo. I seem to think it was a stock clearance shop or similar. Does anyone know of it or if and when the old waiting room was pulled down?

I don't now if this as seen before but I thought it might be of interest.

I also have 3 more picture of trams but from other cities is it all right to post it here or on another thread.

That's an interesting one Templer, taken soon after the trams had finished as the overhead is gone and the track ashphalted over. Here is the same spot a bit earlier with the trams still running.

Nice one, I was told that at about this time they ceased running the tram down the high st and routed it down new sutton rd instead, I don't know if this is correct.

Brian

Peter would it be possible to provide the title & publisher for C.A.Mayou's book? I am unable to locate it on FindBook or Amazon.

Sorry I have taken so long to reply. The book I mentioned was published by the Birmingham Transport Historical Group in October 1974. It contains 49 of the duplicated old double-sided foolscap-size pages of text, which were constantly being updated. There no pictures, and all the text was cut by an old-fashioned typewriter on Gestetner or similar wax stencils with the ink ribbon removed. I very much doubt if there are any copies on offer for sale, as its presentation has nothing to commend it to hopeful vendors. But the information contained in it is fantastic. It confirms or disproves the various childhood memories I have
I have had my copy for 35 years now, and have re-read it from cover to cover it at least five times. It's also a very useful reference work to answer individual enquiries.
If you to ever see a copy, I seriously advise you to snap it up.
Peter Walker

Thank you very much for the information, Peter. How unfortunate Me Mayou's solid research lacks the good presentation that would have made take up by a publisher an attractive proposition. I searched 2 2nd hand book sites & Amazon without finding a copy.

Nice one, I was told that at about this time they ceased running the tram down the high st and routed it down new sutton rd instead, I don't know if this is correct.

Brian

Brian take a look back at post #100 on this thread to see the diverted tramway bypassing Erdington along the Sutton New Road.
Mike

Something a little different, shown at Stechford in war time grey, my uncle had a shop in the parade behind the tram at this time.

Here is another one out at Stechford for you John. Car 344, by the Temple of Convenience just short of the shops, seen with wartime white fender before receiving an allover grey repaint after 1942.

All I know about this one is that its about the turn of the century. It is a steam tram but you can see the wires have been installed ready for the electic trams. Perhaps one of the others can be more specific with a date.
I found this one, looks like the same one.

motorman-mike, I am pretty sure the waiting room just inside Small Heath Park has been given a makeover as a shelter for users of the park when it is raining. Len.

Archie's book was very informative but some of the information wasn't quite accurate especially about the trams at Hockley after the abandonment.

motorman-mike, I am pretty sure the waiting room just inside Small Heath Park has been given a makeover as a shelter for users of the park when it is raining. Len.

Thanks Len but the waiting room I meant was opposite the park at the entrance to the depot.
Mike

hope these have not been posted before..apologies if they have..

highgate road depot

fatal derailment at warstone lane...1907

Back