• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Trams

Mal it's an old scrubber if you'll pardon the expession. Car PW (Permanent Way) 8 was a cut down double decker (Car 505) that BCT had gained from the takeover of the City of Birmingham Tramways Company. Converted in 1920 it was used to tour the system with grinding stones underneath to keep the track smooth for service cars. Seen here in Camp Hill it was possibly returning to Kyotts Lake works off Stratford Road.
Mike

I should have known better than to try and fool you.......Mal

View attachment 85553View attachment 85538Thanks Mal
icon14.gif

Over on the 90, dwarfed by advertisement hoardings, open balcony car 354 enjoys a bit of downhill running in Great Barr Street in back around the postwar 1940's.

View attachment 85553

Last edited:
View attachment 85539I'd go with that Terry.
Mike

Meanwhile over on the Coventry Road, a busy scene outside Arthur Street Depot with car 373 on the 84 and 522 working a Special as a trolleybus glides into sight. Both trams really shine and just look at all that 'knitting' in the sky which was a credit to the overhead linesmen who put it there and looked after it.

Last edited:
I will confirm that 150% Astonite.

Where that Lady and Man are just across the road was a Pub and every Friday my dear Mom would meet Grandad there after he had finished work and my Sister and myself would go with her.

It was one of those days we always looked forward to, because it meant a packet of Crisps & a bottle of pop.
He would then come home with us and have a Bath and get changed and out with Dad. After that he would go back to Fazley Street where he lived giving us a couple of Coppers before he left.

I've spoken about this before a couple of times on the forum and hoped that a photo would come up, well Its taken over 4 years and was well worth the wait. Its made my day.:)
Well done Astonite.

Where the van is 20 yds down was where Grandad worked.

Last edited:
Alf, I am so pleased for you, I know how good it feels when a photograph turns up that you have been waiting for, I get quite chuffed when any turn up of Lichfield Rd, I have quite a few now.

Thanks again, can't wait to show it to my lads.

I believe that is the place that got me interested in Steam Trains it was none stop with Train going in and out of New Street. Further down the line my Mom's bother lived and they lived next to an embankment and I watched the trains from their back yard all about the same time Happy days:)

Alf, am at work at the moment ,but when I get home around 10, have got some other pics of the area you may be interested in, Astonite.

Thanks for those depot shots Astonite, I've got what is obviously a tweeked up one here of your Hockley Depot view. Yours is the better one though.
Mike

Astonite The one that you posted this morning any idea what the Pub was called.:)

It was on the corner of Bartholomew St & New Canal St where they meet Fazley St don't remember a Horse trough :)

Fantastic pictures every one,
Aston manor still there, i went along washwood heath and that,s now gone.
regards dereklcg.

The Handsworth depot still exists - as a tram depot!
It was dismantled and moved from its original position next to the West Bromwich Albion football ground to the Black Country Museum.

Looking a treat in original livery, well loaded car 617 on the 74 passes Atkinsons' Waggon & Horses pub somewhere between Birmingham and Dudley. (Anyone know the location please?). The young lad seems to be taking a great interest in the front wheels, perhaps he has put a penny on the track for the tram to flatten as kids often did back then.

Mike get over to that new post on Barton Arms/ Aston Hippodrome post there is a very interesting post card right up your Street:)

I am not sure if I am in the correct thread but need an answer to a tram question and I know how many experts there are on this Forum.

I lived in Reginald Road, Alum Rock, when young and used to get on the tram on my own to go and visit my Nan in Vauxhall. It used to stop in Ashted Row by a pub - I think called The Clock. Then I would walk down to St. James Street. I really want to know how old I was when I was doing this journey on my own. In other words, when did the trams stop running down Alum Rock.
Thank you in anticipation!
WendyP

Back