• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

School badges

I like your cap badge David.

Very sorry, Jean, just seen your post.
When new, the badge was a perfect example of one of Birmingham's best known industries: enamelling. When I was a stupid schoolboy - I'm now a stupid 63½-year-old - it was the done thing to deliberately smash the cap badge against a convenient wall to destroy the perfect, brilliant finish that Birmingham enamel had and hence not appear to be a "fag", or first-year pupil with a brand new uniform.
Then, when I left school, there was the ceremony of completing the task and removing as much of the enamel as one could ..... hence the sad state of my badge. David

Alberta
You are correct, our colours were navy and light blue.

Do you remember the straw boaters with the ribbon round and the beret?

Surprised we haven't seen this one. Handsworth Grammar, two versions. The Staffordshird knot at the top and below, the Perry Barr zig-zag bridge. The school was set up in 1862 as the Bridge Trust School. The money came from excess money from the Bridge Trust. A fund set up to maintain eight bridges crossing the river Tame: Church Bridge, Grove Lane Footbridge, Oscott Bridge, Paper Mill Footbridge, Rector’s Meadow Bridge, Barr Brook Bridge, Perry Barr and Hamstead Hill Bridge.
The school moto was 'Haec olim meminesse iuvabit', this is Latin, meaning roughly 'these things will one day be pleasing to remember'. When I was there I had no idea what it meant, let alone pronounce it.
Here is the school song if you can stomach it written by the Head Rev Holy Joe Walton and the music teacher Mr
Page:

To the old Bridge Trust we sing this song
To the Staffordshire knot as we pass along
The Black and Gold in an endless throng
The sons of the School go forward
It's a goal to the School
Hurrah it's a goal to the School
Scored by each man, fulfilling God's plan
Three cheers for the School Hurrah

Well, you can see why I'm not keen on football.

Last edited:
Michael Ingram, I well recognise the badge having worn it on my blazer throughout my school years during the '40's and '50's. It is still a potent image that brings memories flooding back. Regards. willey

That's really interesting Mike - most grammar schools had a masonic lodge associated to them which was made-up of old boys. I believe Handsworth's masonic lodge was called the Bridge Trust and met in Hockley? Mabz

Surprised we haven't seen this one. Handsworth Grammar, two versions. The Staffordshird knot at the top and below, the Perry Barr zig-zag bridge. The school was set up in 1862 as the Bridge Trust School. The money came from excess money from the Bridge Trust. A fund set up to maintain eight bridges crossing the river Tame: Church Bridge, Grove Lane Footbridge, Oscott Bridge, Paper Mill Footbridge, Rector’s Meadow Bridge, Barr Brook Bridge, Perry Barr and Hamstead Hill Bridge.
The school moto was 'Haec olim meminesse iuvabit', this is Latin, meaning roughly 'these things will one day be pleasing to remember'. When I was there I had no idea what it meant, let alone pronounce it.
Here is the school song if you can stomach it written by the Head Rev Holy Joe Walton and the music teacher Mr
Page:

To the old Bridge Trust we sing this song
To the Staffordshire knot as we pass along
The Black and Gold in an endless throng
The sons of the School go forward
It's a goal to the School
Hurrah it's a goal to the School
Scored by each man, fulfilling God's plan
Three cheers for the School Hurrah

Well, you can see why I'm not keen on football.

I've been carrying out research into the history of Bordesley Green Technical School since January. Only recently did I realise that there were two versions of the school blazer badge :

BGTS_School_Badge_28clean2C_square29.JPG
......... this was sent to me by Brian Mann;

and the second example belongs to Derek Rowe :

Reconstruction_of__Derek_Rowe_s_blazer_badge.JPG

I was at Moseley Grammar School from 1947-1953 and this is the badge in use then.

Maurice
MGS.jpg

Janice,

It quite possibly is. The Moseleians website About Us page shows that only as the badge from 1974 to present and the MGS badge as 1939-73, but I believe they have got it mixed up. The MGS badge was the blazer badge and the above badge was the cap badge. I'll confirm this when I've checked some of the old photographs.

Maurice

I usually see Moseley pupils when I walk for my morning paper so I will have a close look. I can just about see the school tower from my bedroom window - trees not distance blocking the view.

Back