• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Secondary School Grammar School

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
I have two school magazines for Yardley Secondary School. December 1915 & December 1918. There are match reports regarding Netball games, so I assume it was a mixed school.

Does anyone know where the school was situated?

Thanks

Terry

There was a Yardley Secondary School on Warwick Road by Tyseley Railway Depot, The old school has been knocked down and flats built on the site, the school still exists https://www.yardleys-vle.org/ and must be not far away from the old site as the address is shown as Reddings Lane, it may even be part of the old school, it was a Grammar School for sometime as my Brother-in-law went there in the late 70's early 80's

just looked at the address on Google maps and its across the road from where the old school used to be, the old school was on the corner of Reddings Lane and Warwick Road, the old school wall can be seen from the Warwick Road

HI
The new school was built on the old grammer school playing field. It was made up of the old Yardleys school and the old
Formans rd school.
KEN

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day
Yes, Yardley Secondary/Grammar was at the corner of Readings Lane & Warwick Rd. When I was there in 1950 to 54 it was a mixed Grammar School but when my father was there in 1920 to 24 it was a boys only Seconary School. It had not changed much between these dates except for a few more class rooms at the rear & the loss of one wing at the front due to bombing.
The school was a familly affair with us, my brother being there 1955 to 60 & my sister 1960 to 65. The large playing field entrance was directly across Readings Lane & included the canteen. I think that the new school is on the far end of those grounds but I havnt been to Brum in recent years to check

Yardley Grammar School traced itself back the old school in Yardley, next to St Edburgha's. In my time there they used to have a yearly service at the church, for which we got the day off (or was it a half day?), but then the school was in Tyseley so it was a bit of a journey to go to the service. Our uniform was green with a yellow and black stripe in the tie, jumper, socks etc. The school houses were Greswolde, Folliot, Marsden, and ? . Up the other end of the road was Foremans Rd Sec. Mod. Later, Foremans RD was renamed 'The Leys'....can you see where this is going? Later still, after the change to comprehensive education the schools were cobbled together to become Yardleys School. I pass both regularly. The old grammar school,now Yardleys school retains the old school badge, but the blazer is black, the old Foreman Rd sec.mod. is now a Muslim run school, and their pupils were the green blazer! I would have loved to have been around when they brought the two schools together, as in my time there was no love lost between the inmates of either school.

Hi Terry, I found this...

YARDLEY COUNTY GRAMMAR SCHOOL, Warwick Road, Tyseley. Yardley Council Secondary Sch. (sometimes known as Sparkhill Secondary Sch.) opened 1904 by Worcs. C.C. in Sparkhill Institute. New building in Warwick Rd. opened 1910 (V.C.H. Worcs. iv. 535). War damage repaired 1953.(28) It started as a mixed secondary sch. with a pupilteacher centre attached, although science and other facilities were considered inadequate for the latter, which closed 1913. Until 1910 partly maintained by Yardley Educational Foundation (see also Yardley Charity Estates Sch.). Under a Scheme of 1910 half Foundation's net income was devoted to maintenance of exhibitions at the sch. N.o.b. 1914: 180, 1961: 592.(28) In 1911 81 per cent. and in 1939 99 per cent. pupils came from elementary schs. Fees £3 until 1907, and £12 by 1939. In 1914 58 per cent. pupils paid fees, by 1939 none paid full fees. Average leaving age 1910–13 and 1938: 15–16 (ex inf. M. of Ed.).

EDIT; Sorry, only just noticed the date you originally posted this Terry, so you probably already have the information you requested

Last edited:
That would make sense, as Yardley parish was in Worcestershire originally. The school badge encompassed three pears as part of the badge referring to its 'Worcestershire' connections. When I was at the school we used to go swimming at Sparkhill baths. Next door to that was Sparkhill Library, the upstairs of which was originally the council chamber for Yardley Urban District Council, before it became part of Birmingham.
When I won a place at Yardley Grammar, my parents were sent a load of information about how we could apply for grants from the Yardley Parish trust to help with uniform and books etc. Evidently we were eligible on two counts, 1. because we lived in the old parish boundaries, and 2. because I was attending the successor to the old Yardley school run by the parish.
Co incidentally, I ended up for a time running a Sea Scout Troop at Hall Green Church which was built as a 'chapel of ease' for Yardley Church by the Job Marston family. The scout group were given permission to wear the family crest on their neckerchieves. The same crest can be seen on silverware donated to the Yardley Church by the same family and now in Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.

Yardley Grammar School traced itself back the old school in Yardley, next to St Edburgha's. In my time there they used to have a yearly service at the church, for which we got the day off (or was it a half day?), but then the school was in Tyseley so it was a bit of a journey to go to the service. Our uniform was green with a yellow and black stripe in the tie, jumper, socks etc. The school houses were Greswolde, Folliot, Marsden, and ? . Up the other end of the road was Foremans Rd Sec. Mod. Later, Foremans RD was renamed 'The Leys'....can you see where this is going? Later still, after the change to comprehensive education the schools were cobbled together to become Yardleys School. I pass both regularly. The old grammar school,now Yardleys school retains the old school badge, but the blazer is black, the old Foreman Rd sec.mod. is now a Muslim run school, and their pupils were the green blazer! I would have loved to have been around when they brought the two schools together, as in my time there was no love lost between the inmates of either school.
I attended yardley grammar school between 1958 and 1965
The missing school house was Este

Hi

Well speaking to Dad 98 he mentioned he had a Picture of Yardley Grammer School Cricket Team Circa 1932/3
He was a Senior Batsmen they played all the Grammar Schools of Birmingham.
Sadly he left at 16 many went on to King Edwards Edgbaston.
Dad is still well

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• scan0079.jpg
    scan0079.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 56
Yardley Grammar School that later became Yardley Secondary School at the Junction of Warwick Road and Reddings Lane. It has now been replaced by a brand new modern school "Yardleys" a few hundred yards further up Reddings Lane.

Tyseley Warwick rd Yardley Grammer school .jpg

Slightly off subject but I see this topic was started by Terry Carter. I have always respected his knowledge of World War I especially the Somme. However I havent seen a post from him for some time. Has anything happened?

the last time terry was online was november 2016 but the strange thing is i cant find him on the members list...sorry but i dont know anymore unless other members maybe able to advise

lyn

Back