• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer Security.

Yesterday Google (Gmail) suggested that I review my security so I did with a password change etc and had a think about security.

My Gmail log-in on computers needs my iPhone available to separately confirm that it is actually me logging-in so I usually stay continually logged-in to Gmail. I also let Chrome and Edge remember a few log-ins and passwords and this is really convenient. A problem with continual log-ins is anyone with access to my computers could see my Gmail and other items if I leave my computers unattended.

So I've started to use WinKey+L to lock my computers if I leave them unattended. My desktop computer quickly unlocks with a pin number and my laptop unlocks with my finger print.

I think I may be a bit more secure today than I was yesterday ... ;)
oldMohawk, I recently had an event with a new note computer. Fortunately I have very good tech support, the schooled me that I should be very careful of what I auto remember on the computer. Apparently if you allow too many things to be remembered your protection will let it’s guard down (my words). And anything goes. I am in touch daily/weekly with people in China, India, Germany, Sweden etc., and that creates opportunities, let alone the US.

gmail password. i do mine regularly. once i forgot the password, what a game. i had NO chance using a pc. i had to use a andriod phone that was reg to me to get a new password

oldMohawk, I recently had an event with a new note computer. Fortunately I have very good tech support, the schooled me that I should be very careful of what I auto remember on the computer. Apparently if you allow too many things to be remembered your protection will let it’s guard down (my words). And anything goes. I am in touch daily/weekly with people in China, India, Germany, Sweden etc., and that creates opportunities, let alone the US.
Richard, I suppose it is the old story of convenience vs. security. I never allow auto remember on important websites I use. I do however stay continually logged into the BHF .... maybe most do not.

i use ddgo for looking for movies.they dont keep asking for cookie acceptance every time you look at something. i find them ok.while using firefox.....I never allow auto remember on anything

Yesterday Google (Gmail) suggested that I review my security so I did with a password change etc and had a think about security.

My Gmail log-in on computers needs my iPhone available to separately confirm that it is actually me logging-in so I usually stay continually logged-in to Gmail. I also let Chrome and Edge remember a few log-ins and passwords and this is really convenient. A problem with continual log-ins is anyone with access to my computers could see my Gmail and other items if I leave my computers unattended.

So I've started to use WinKey+L to lock my computers if I leave them unattended. My desktop computer quickly unlocks with a pin number and my laptop unlocks with my finger print.

I think I may be a bit more secure today than I was yesterday ... ;)
I use my army number to unlock my pc. I also have Norton 360, Malwarebytes premium & Nord vpn. I still don`t feel entirely safe.

I use my army number to unlock my pc. I also have Norton 360, Malwarebytes premium & Nord vpn. I still don`t feel entirely safe.
The problem as it was made very clear to me is if you let something/someone in your protection assumes that it is OK!

I invariably accept cookies on websites so now use a Chrome extension which automatically accepts cookies ... it's name is 'I don't care about cookies' ... it saves me a lot of mouse clicks!
The Edge browser uses the same Chrome extensions .... :)

i was a firm believer in norton, and was always having probs with malware. now all i use is windows defender, and up to now no probs. touch wood

me too Richard, the last straw was when they phoned me and said my location was being used the otherside of the country,and for x amount of dosh they could block it. my isp does roam so no one can lock on my location, i never renewed it again.

me too Richard, the last straw was when they phoned me and said my location was being used the otherside of the country,and for x amount of dosh they could block it. my isp does roam so no one can lock on my location, i never renewed it again.
Pete, they told me they could take care of it for$$$$$! I told them I had already paid for that. Even now after a number of years they still send me a bill, trying to get me to pay.

Pete, they told me they could take care of it for$$$$$! I told them I had already paid for that. Even now after a number of years they still send me a bill, trying to get me to pay.
i bought a 3 pc norton coverage off ebay,and had heck of a job validating it it,becouse it was not sold by them.
when we used win 3 and 3.11 for workgroups it had some good tools.:grinning:

I have been using Firefox for ages, and earlier this year switched to DuckDuckG, I cannot say I’ve had ANY speed concerns. It runs fine no pauses, just gets on with what I’ve asked of it. For my e-mails I have been using Thunderbird also for years regular updates. Cannot understand why everyone is not using Firefox and Thunderbird.
AC chunky.

I have been using Firefox for ages, and earlier this year switched to DuckDuckG, I cannot say I’ve had ANY speed concerns. It runs fine no pauses, just gets on with what I’ve asked of it. For my e-mails I have been using Thunderbird also for years regular updates. Cannot understand why everyone is not using Firefox and Thunderbird.
AC chunky.
I too use Firefox and DuckDuckGo, again no speed concerns

Having purchased a new desktop - all-in-one - I have had to resort to W11. I soon got used to it but to be honest I will turn it into a Linux operation, when Cinnamon 21 is released later this month, as I had it before on previous W10 desktop. It seems far more secure to me.
I ran a recovery disk on my existing pc and deleted Linux and substituted W10, which it originally was. I needed Windows as the programme, WIRES-X, (a Ham radio programme) is not supported by Linux.
I use Vivaldi browser, but it doesn't like G-MAIL and You Tube. So my alternate browser is Firefox for use of signing in to You Tube. My e-mail is Protonmail which is based in Switzerland. I used Thunderbird but it was a pain in the proverbial when doing a fresh install. I do nor care for M/soft Edge. Duck and go is preferred search.

Having purchased a new desktop - all-in-one - I have had to resort to W11. I soon got used to it but to be honest I will turn it into a Linux operation, when Cinnamon 21 is released later this month, as I had it before on previous W10 desktop. It seems far more secure to me.
I ran a recovery disk on my existing pc and deleted Linux and substituted W10, which it originally was. I needed Windows as the programme, WIRES-X, (a Ham radio programme) is not supported by Linux.
I use Vivaldi browser, but it doesn't like G-MAIL and You Tube. So my alternate browser is Firefox for use of signing in to You Tube. My e-mail is Protonmail which is based in Switzerland. I used Thunderbird but it was a pain in the proverbial when doing a fresh install. I do nor care for M/soft Edge. Duck and go is preferred search.
wich i could del this edge and bing altogether Alan i do NOT like it on my pc. we should have a option to be able to del what we want.not what they say

Edge is built-in to Windows 10 and 11 so can't be uninstalled but background apps it might be running can be stopped by switching them off in Edge settings.
Untitled.jpg

Alan, I’m not sure what is going on with Gmail which is my email. Everything was fine on my old Lenovo with Office and W10. My new Lenovo with a new version of Office and W11 did not cooperate with Gmail. My support group who are quite good had to take it back 7 times over a three week period. I have been using it successfully for a week now and like it. Still getting used to W11 and the new version of Office, but it was a struggle and VERY frustrating. Thank good ness for my iPad and smart phone!

I've often wondered why young folk walk along streets looking at their smartphones but recently visiting a restaurant in a 'student' area of Manchester I needed a smartphone to pay at a parking meter. I had no idea exactly where the restaurant was but Google knew so I walked along looking at my phone, following directions, until I stood at the restaurant doorway.
In the restaurant we had to log in to their wifi and use an app which showed their menu on our phones. If you tapped an item it auto-ordered so old folk in our party were busy deleting items inadvertently ordered. Young folk on our table had no problems so I asked my 11 year old grandson to order for me on his smartphone.
The bill was paid with Apple Pay ... all afternoon I saw no paper, no cards ...and the toilets were gender neutral ...:rolleyes:

I'm not sure I'm ready for modern life ... and if I use more wifi restaurants I may need to up security with a vpn app.

We shop at a store that uses Scan & Go. You pick your item and scan into your phone and walk past the checkout lines where they scan your phone. There is a card on the phone, they send you a detailed receipt on your email and process 5% cash back. Wish we had used earlier, and yes it is a discount store. No cards,no waiting no lines!

Never watch MSN as it is a load of American rubbish (though I would prefer a stronger word than rubbish), but thanks for the warning

I have been getting several phone calls from named people at BT Open Reach about my internet connection and the fact that they had noticed faults lately. I just put the phone down. Now the calls could be genuine but I think it safer to not respond to them. BT know my email address so they can always contact me that way.

We shop at a store that uses Scan & Go. You pick your item and scan into your phone and walk past the checkout lines where they scan your phone. There is a card on the phone, they send you a detailed receipt on your email and process 5% cash back. Wish we had used earlier, and yes it is a discount store. No cards,no waiting no lines!
If you're doing that, pay attention to the codes you're getting. If you scan from an app that's already on your phone, you should be OK but if it's an individual code that doesn't require the app to be running then it's liable to all kinds of tricks.

I have been getting several phone calls from named people at BT Open Reach about my internet connection and the fact that they had noticed faults lately. I just put the phone down. Now the calls could be genuine but I think it safer to not respond to them. BT know my email address so they can always contact me that way.
This could be a scam - usually the call is from your "internet provider" as the scammers do not know who you use. Easy way to check - go to bt.com and you can run an online check in seconds to see if there are any known faults in phones or broadband services in your area. You do not have to log in to do this if I remember correctly - just enter your postcode

If you're doing that, pay attention to the codes you're getting. If you scan from an app that's already on your phone, you should be OK but if it's an individual code that doesn't require the app to be running then it's liable to all kinds of tricks.
We are scanning from an app on our phone. We have been doing this for over a year and check our emailed receipt with what we purchased. So far it’s been exactly right.
Thank you for your thoughts/comments.

My e-mail account has recently been hacked by someone in Lagos, Nigeria. My contacts received an e-mail inviting them to buy me a gift voucher. For a couple of days I received no incoming e-mails I guess they were being diverted to my new friend in Lagos, but on the plus side I have had lots of phone calls from relatives and friends around the World. With enormous help from MS I now have an extra security check on my email account and we appear to be back to normal. Not that I begin to understand how it works, but I still have my old email i/d.

Back