• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bull Ring 1930s - 1950s

Bull ring

Mike thats a super picture thank you and look at all of those wonderful street sellers, what a pity we don't have more of them. Catkin
Does any-one remember pimms the pet shop?
yes they sold me. a loverly dog.pup. he had to be put to sleep a week later he had distemper

Enlarged aerial views of the Bull Ring from 'britainfromabove'
1931 EPW037057
No market stalls out although the shops appear to be open. Public speakers with audiences standing around them. A white coated policeman on traffic duty, and trams turning out of Moor Street.
BullRing1931.jpg

1949 EAW026254
It looks busy with market stalls out. Buses have replaced trams. WW2 bomb damage visible. As a youngster I would have seen this at ground level.
BullRing1949.jpg

Post 321# from Vivienne looks more like late 20's, early 30's. Doubt 40's, clothes wrong, little motor traffic and the Market Hall still has a roof! :D
Post 324# for Old Mohawk: trams might still be running as the 84 to Stechford did not cease until October 1948 being replaced by bus route 54. There would be trolley buses around as well at that time.

I remember seeing Prince Monolulu, the horse racing tipster in the Bull Ring. It was probably the 1950s. He had on his coloured, plumed head dress. No doubt he would have been shouting his catch phrase "I gotta horse !". He was possibly only the second black man I had ever encountered.

Not sure of the date for this. It shows part of the frontage to the Market Hall at the corner of Bell Street. The part accommodating Normansells was built as part of the Market Hall but with shop space below and accommodation above. There was a similar section to the right of the Hall entrance.

Perhaps someone could date it by the vehicles please. I would guess this was pre-WW2 bombing. Thanks. Viv.

07CA0E38-B082-435E-A7B6-DAB026B0DB0F.jpeg

Last edited:
I love looking at these photo's to see if i know anybody, do you?

Image6_The_Bull_Ring_1953.jpg

Regards Stars
I WAS 4 YEARS OLD WHEN THIS PICTURE WAS TAKEN AND I REMEMBER WALKING UP THE HILL PAST WOOLWORTHS AND INTO THE OPEN-AIR MARKET. PAST THE LADY CARRIER BAG SELLER. WE LIVED IN RAVENHURST STREET A COUPLE OF MILES FROM ST MARTINS BULL RING. WE MOVED OUT TO YARDLEY WOOD WHEN THEY STARTED REHOUSING PEOPLE IN ORDER TO KNOCK DOWN THE OLD BACK-TO-BACK HOUSES. REMEMBER IT LIKE IT WAS YESTERDAY.

I think St Martin’s church is to the left in this photo so the tram is probably travelling down Digbeth. The date may be c1950s, but hopefully someone will be able to confirm. The building behind the first lamppost on the right looks damaged Viv.

View attachment 173530
Certainly not later than 1956. The occasional tram came up Camp Hill to the depot (Kyotts Lake) until that date. There's a bus coming out of Moor Street behind the tram. As you say St Martin's to the left.

The tram is going to Kyotts Lake Road depot and judging by the fleet number maybe (645?) would be on the day of Birmingham's trams 4/7/1953.
The building referred to as damaged was supported by timber baulks after war damage. I remember it well at it was near the bus stop serving the Hall Green routes an those Midland Red services serving the south of the city and beyond.

Last edited:
In this old post, the building is propped up and this tram could be on a similar final journey to the depot.
That little lad looks very young to be a pillion passenger and his dad isn't even looking where he is going. A large buttress prop holds up one building. No date for the pic but Campbells shop has some decorations up which look like those used for celebrating some royal event. Difficult to make out whether it is 'GR' or 'ER' or it could have been 'GB' for the Festival of Britain.
index.php

This photograph is 1953, for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
The Coventry Road trolleybuses ran until 30/6/1951 the trams until 4/7/53. There is only one overhead wire for the trams, the second wire, for the trolleybuses, has been removed.

Back