• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bull Ring 1930s - 1950s

They were the top of lifts in the Moor St rail yard , that lifted wagons from the lower warehouse levels.
waggon hoist moor st.jpg

This photo has been posted before but I think it is one of the lost images from this thread. Not sure which post it belongs to. Viv.

image.jpeg

It's in #237 Viv.
I remember when they used to run a nailfile inside to show how tough the nylons were!!! That lady doesn't look convinced either.
rosie.

The spiv with the hose, I remember getting a pair from him for my Mom once. Had the seam down the back that was the fashion then. She was real chuffed to say the least

It's in #237 Viv.
I remember when they used to run a nailfile inside to show how tough the nylons were!!! That lady doesn't look convinced either.
rosie.
Thanks Rosie. Feel utterly ashamed - it was me who posted it there and I should've remembered. Been tidying up my files as running out of space.

Oh Viv! I didn't mean to shame you! There are so many lovely photos on this Forum we are so lucky to have you and all the other members who post them. Keep it up! I can't post photos anymore as my PC is playing up so I do appreciate people taking the trouble to do it.
rosie.

Thanks Rosie. Feel utterly ashamed - it was me who posted it there and I should've remembered. Been tidying up my files as running out of space.

sorry viv that made me laff...ive done the same thing myself many times:D

lyn

Looks about 1940s/50s Stitcher. Think it's the Fish Market to the right. Anyone know/remember what the logo was on the top of the building ? Viv.

And the view before the Blitz and demolition ........ Oops a daisy. Viv.

image.jpeg
From Evening Despatch January 1939.

A crowded Bull Ring in 1948. It is hard to spot a happy face in the crowd and that little girl clinging to her dad definitely looks unhappy.
City Bull Ring_1948 .jpg

re bullring

hello,phil.i loved to go down the bullring with mom in the 50s.we would
watch the man in chains,and the one ones who stood on boxes shouting.
the barrows all in a row selling things,when it was dark the paraffin lamps come out.what a fantasic sight.on the way back to the bus,we would go in peacocks and mom would buy me a hand puppet,made of some kind of clay with a piece of cloth held on with a elastic band.Or a wagon and horses.depending on how much she had.a slow walk looking in shops and
then home on the 43 bus.what a great day out.we had together bless her.:cry:

Just looked through this thread and it brings back happy childhood memories of what town was really like, old and full of character. I don't go there much these days. So much has changed and many old familiar landmarks have gone or are hidden by new development. Funny how I took things for granted, like Nelson's statue. It's always been there, though everything around it has changed, and I've never given it much thought, until today. So I looked it up on Wikipedia. As I expected it isn't located in its original spot but was moved close by. It was a shame to learn that when it was removed for redevelopment in 1961 the original carved stone stone plinth and lamp posts, made from old naval cannons were lost. Looking at the photo from 1898 it is now quite clear that cannons were used to form the base of each lamp post! The railings are the original but reinstating them in 2005 was a struggle due to objections on health and safety grounds! More modern day bureaucracy!

upload_2018-7-8_8-58-25.png

We have a similar statue in Melbourne for Mathew Flinders and I always wonder how they managed to do all those things with only half of a very small boat, or am I missing something.
Cheers Tim

I worked in Market Street Melbourne and must have walked past the Flinders statue many times! Agree its only half a ship like the one at home!

From memory, based on photos, probably on BHF, that location where the scaffolding is, is where the damage was. I wonder if there was a temporary repair after the Bull Ring bombing and this was a permanent fix being done at a later date? The dress code suggests late 1940's, early 50's as do the buses with side adverts.

Yes, I have seen those photos and it appears to be blast damage (I actually had that word in my previous post but deleted it). Easily made good on a temporary basis. What I suggest is happening, shown in the photo by Vivienne, is more repair/replacement work being done on the stonework which during the war was not essential and most likely not approved.
The church was quite fortunate when the destruction of the nearby buildings and Market Hall damage is taken into account.

Last edited:
Loved the "Spivs" flogging nylons with the seam, remember those? in suitcases, got a pair for me mom, one day

The man in the Bull Ring I remember to this day,and I still tell people about him,used to do a fire-eating act,this would be in the mid to late 50's.I remember he used to take a swig of some liquid,I don't know what it was, but probably methylated spirits,and blow a huge flame out of his mouth.It was so impressive I tried to do it myself when I got home, but all I did was feel sick from the taste of the meths.Probably just as well it didn't work, I would probably have burnt the house down ! The way things always look easy when you're young, I was still at school then. Does anybody else remember this man ? Mal.
parafine. blowed from between pursed lips... meths would soak in and set your face and mouth on fire. causing bad burns

Back