• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

World War Two Posters

Salute the soldier Poster on a Bomb damaged building

Replacement images differ from original but may be of interest.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Christmas War Savings

image.jpeg

Telegrams .....now messages from the past which became old fashioned and discontinued when new technology took over

Their was no white paint road markings prior to WW2 kerbs were painted white and lines painted in the road to show you were to go during the Blackout

At the start of WW2 the GPO started their Airgraph forms which as seen on this poster were blank and you could draw,write or print anything you liked and it could be sent for one price, cheap and it was light
Availablefrom 1940 to 1945

Example bottom I have erased ID just in case the chap never got through the war

Replacement image may vary from original.

image.jpeg

The right man at the right time an ordinary man with extraordinary determination...... a real leader

Thanks again for the posters Cromwell. The Churchill one is extra special, the words and the man.

Save posters

Replacement images, may vary from originals.

image.jpeg
image.jpg

What Save Britain ........Good old Alex Henshaw ......we will never forget ya

Wings for Victory Posters

Replacement images, may vary from originals.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I wandered down to Coleshill this morning as I knew the Civic Society had opened the Market hall showing in great detail the history of Coleshill from Roman times.
After spending a hour or so in their I wandered upstairs and spotted two great Second World Plaques given to the town
The first one was for the War Savings Campaign 1943 and presented by the Air Ministry
The second one was presented by the War Office for Salute the Soldier week
The Shield was rescued from a skip and it was presented by the Admiralty to Meriden to commemorate the adoption of HMS VICEROY during Warship week

these are great can reproductions of these posters be purchased any where?

I was at a recent auction and there were quite a few WW2 posters on auction, I think they were mainly encouraging people to save.

Virtually all the posters have disappeared here. So here is a few concerning National Savings and other fund raising events.
d6a716470f952a6f9ca9422290bb8178.jpg

fad6fc0bc436886c0b556705641c11a8.jpg

I wonder who recalls having these?
c65425c933ea5ab3c37dfb6cb8bf3819.jpg

or collecting these?
iu

According to an online dictionary it was the rallying symbol of the Ancient Scottish people used in time of war. Later adopted by others including KKK.

It was indeed associated with the KKK, but like most extremist groups do, they hijack existing and well-established symbolism for their own interpretation.

Small burning crosses were quite often used as a rallying cry or a call to action symbol in time of war, as I think this National Savings stamp burning cross is.

This type of advertisement, featuring this horrible character, could be seen on the interiors of Birmingham's buses.
iu

Back