• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

I wondering if I have just redownloaded all the contents of the camera. If it ain't broke down mess.

Windows usually keeps track of photos you have already downloaded from your camera and only downloads the "new" ones.

Because you have installed a new version of Windows (10) it has no record of what you have already downloaded so it downloaded everything again.

A quite reasonable thing to do.

guilbert53, thanks for that info I wondered why it said no new pics to import, I overcome that problem by clicking on another menu which gives me the option to 'view files/pics' and dragging them into my pics, where that other menu comes from I do not know (or care). It appears in centre of desk top whilst windows 'import' option appears RH bottom corner Eric

I have been using Windows 10 for a couple of weeks now and found it very much like 8.1, at the moment it seems very quick and I have not encountered any problems with using it.
If like me you are using a desktop not a touch screen p.c then I have found it has made life easy for me by installing as I did in Win 8.1 CLASSIC SHELL, this has made my computer look like Windows 7, you can also select Classic which I think looks like XP, it makes it so easy to use without having to find out where Microsoft has moved everything to. Now to install CLASSIC SHELL download it from here (link Below) now microsoft don't want you to use this so they have put a block on installing it in Windows 10, but we have an answer to this just change the name of the application, (Bobs Classic Shell) or what ever name you want to use. Once installed you will find your p.c just how you loved it and cherished it before, but with the more up to date and speedier Windows 10 operating system, especially if you use it in conjunction with an SSD drive, mine boots up in seconds, applications are ready to use in a flash, and close down is in seconds as well.

https://www.classicshell.net/

Hi, I downloaded W10 two days ago. All seemed ok in till I tried to play music, my sound card was not recognized. Also the DVD I tried did not work. The sound is now working but still no DVD player, I'm sure this will get sorted out. Other wise it seems ok...

Microsoft did not put a DVD player in W10 but if you log on to your computer with a Microsoft account you can download the free VLC app from the Microsoft Store. If you do not have a Microsoft account you can download and install it direct from the VideoLan site.
Google 'Videolan' and use the installer package.

I have used it since the days of XP.
It is easily uninstalled if you find it does not suit you.

Last edited:
Eric,
There is plenty of good FREE CD/DVD burning software on the web. One of my favourites is BurnAware (the free version) and I rarely use anything else.
Maurice
Hi Maurice - I had downloaded and installed 'Burnaware' and all seemed well until ....

A day or two later I looked at Tesco's website and very obtrusive pop-ups were appearing all over the screen, so had a look at the Mark & Spencer site and there were pop-ups for Amazon etc on screen. The very annoying 'Shopping Assistant' malware had got into my W10.

The only software I had installed before it appeared was 'Burnaware' and I had ensured that any 'extras' boxes were unticked.

So, to get rid of the malware I then looked at the list of recently Installed Programs and could see no 'Shopping Assistant' but noticed a program named 'Getgoods.exe' which I had not installed so I uninstalled it after which the Tesco and M&S site were back to normal with no pop ups.

I then ran a Malwarebytes scan and it found 28 items it did not like and I subsequentially removed them, some of them I could positively identify with 'Burnaware'.

A Google search mentions malware attached to 'Burnaware'

Phil

Phil,

I've used BurnAware through several versions over the last few years and never had a problem, but I've got all the pop-up blockers installed. Maybe it has been added to the latest version or possibly the blocker has obscured it. I also scan with Spybot quite regularly as I've found that to trap stuff that Avast, Ad Aware and even Malwarebytes misses. I guess we shouldn't expect to get something for nothing, but these pointless advertisements do annoy me at times and I will do my best to block them whenever I can. I look at them as using bandwidth that I can ill afford to lose!

Maurice

Hi Maurice - I've got pop-up blockers but only run occasional scans with Malwarebytes. I did not notice I had got the malware until I looked at the Tesco site. The strange thing was it had loaded a program which I could see in the 'programs list' and when that was uninstalled the pop-ups went away. The scan with Malwarebytes got rid of everything else.
I'll have to find my old Roxio burner disk amongst the pile of CDs I have in the house.

Phil

ps ... Found my Roxio Creator 2011 disk - it's 4 years out of date but works perfectly.

Phil,

Perhaps the spam prog only affects certain sites and I don't access Tesco or M & S out here. Still nice to know your old Roxio Burner still works OK.

Maurice

Completely confused by Windows 10 (although I downloaded it on my new PC ( an high spec Acer) easy enough, all sorts of glitch's thought I would try a recovery and start again, that went half way then 'froze' gave up and took it back to local PC World at Shirley this AM for them to sort out. Back on to my repaired Windows 7 PC, simple, logical and straight forward, BLISS !!! Regret buying this new PC, we live and learn Eric

Eric,

Since I reinstalled W7 on my main desktop machine, it's run very sweetly and I'm very reluctant to change it now, despite all the reminders I keep getting from Microsoft. I have a new motherboard on the way to fix a socket fault on the back and then I can replace my Maya44 soundcard, which I use for my music. Then, when I can find the time - and it's not likely to be very soon, I will have a go at sticking W10 on my W8 laptop. If that fails, I'll put it back to XP. At this age life's too short to be fixing Microsoft's problems for them! And I certainly have no intention of spending any more money on M/S software.

Maurice

I updated my young grandaughter's Asus Notebook from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and all went well with all programs running correctly. In addition to it's keyboard, it also has a 'touch screen' which is also working.

sospiri, are you saying I can change my new PC (when I get it back from workshop) from W8.1 (or W10 as it will be upgraded) to W7, which I like and fully understand ?? Just noticed a glitch on my W7 PC, since yesterday all my pics now have 'JPG' or 'jpg' after the pic title and all my Doc files have the inscription wdb after the file title, thought it might be an update but have had no automatic up dates in last few days, any one any ideas ????? Eric

Last edited:
Not easily, Eric. If you're not worried about any of the data on there and have a legal W7 disk available, then just format the C: drive of the machine and then boot from the W7 disk. Othwise it means removing the Windows folder and then booting from the W7 disk and then trying to recover your data. If Windows senses a version later than the one you're trying to install, it will refuse to play ball. So the object of the game is to remove the evidence of later versions.

My W8.0 laptop contains nothing of value that isn't backed up elsewhere, so if W!0 is not satisfactory or hits problems, I'll just format the C: drive and install from the original XP disk that came with the machine.

Maurice

hi eric i am still going to stick by the old saying....if it aint broke dont fix it lol

see you on sat x

I think that is very sensible Lyn. In my case I am now using my 8.1 laptop, the other one which I had updated to W10, gave problems , which I gather are only with SOME HP
laptops, and if you leave them , they go to sleep, then go into hibernation, and after W10 installed will not comeback unless you force close the machine by holding down the on/off button. Seems I may have had to do that too many times, as it eventually would not start. Is with John Lewis at the moment , and hopefully HP will have solved the problem by the time I get it back.

Hi Eric - If your new computer had Windows 8.1 in it when you bought it and you upgraded it to Windows 10, it is only possible to downgrade it back to Windows 8.1. You could ask whoever is repairing your computer to obtain a legal copy of Windows 7 (you would have to pay for it) and install it.

One thing you could try with W10 is 'Classic Shell' mentioned by Chris B in post#213.
A pic of what it looks like can be seen here https://winaero.com/blog/microsoft-to-block-classic-shell-in-windows-10-here-is-why/
Notice how you have to get round Microsoft's block as mentioned by Chris B.

With regard to your file names being different on your W7 computer, it seems like you are seeing the file extensions and they can be hidden or made visible as outlined below.

To show or hide file name extensions

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do one of the following:

To show file name extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

To hide file name extensions, select the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

I personally like to see the file extensions so that I know what type of files they are.

Phil

Eric, i`m no expert but i believe you can partition the drive on your w10 machine & install w7 which will give you a choice of which version to use. As sospiri said, you will need a legal copy of w7. Ask at wherever your new machine is being repaired.

Eric, i`m no expert but i believe you can partition the drive on your w10 machine & install w7 which will give you a choice of which version to use. As sospiri said, you will need a legal copy of w7. Ask at wherever your new machine is being repaired.
I dual booted one of my laptops although the second operating system was not Windows.
It is not difficult but you need to know what you are doing - things could go very wrong ...
P1030321 (Medium).JPG

If anyone is using W10 and does not like the new 'Edge' browser, Internet Explorer is still there, they have slightly hidden it, probably hoping you will use 'Edge'.

To get Internet Explorer.

Press the Windows Key to show the 'Start'.

Click on 'All Apps' to show all the apps in the list.

Scroll down the list until you find 'Windows Accessories' and click on it.

You will see a sub list which includes Internet Explorer

Right click on Internet Explorer and some choices will show

Click on 'Pin to Start' and IE will show in the 'Start'.

or better still

Click on 'Pin to Task bar' and it will show in the task bar from which IE will instantly start if the IE icon is clicked.

Little message from Microsoft tonight .....
uc

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we will restart for you.
If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Had a 'blue screen' on my laptop which I had upgraded from W8 and run W10 for nearly 3 weeks ... I grabbed my camera but the flash was on.
P1030348 (Medium).jpg

Phil,

According to M/S it was a Registry error resulting from from any number of causes. M/S's way of saying "We haven't a clue!". They're hoping it will happen to enough people to enable them to find out why. :-)

Maurice

Little message from Microsoft tonight .....
uc

Had a 'blue screen' on my laptop which I had upgraded from W8 and run W10 for nearly 3 weeks ... I grabbed my camera but the flash was on.
View attachment 100272

Like you I have had the same BSOD 3 or 4 times. I looked on google but its all double dutch to me. My computer has crashed a few times in the last couple of weeks. W10 is obviously very buggy still and I have till Aug 28th to decide whether to go back to W7. I just dont know yet. Attached is a list of the times it has crashed on me.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 11
Hi Terry, I think it is mostly to do with drivers which will take time to sort out. M/S did restart my laptop fo me so there was very little fuss.
Slightly off topic, I'm using my iPad at the moment and a forum advert (below) showed which Maurice might be interested in. I hope the forum got paid when I clicked (touched) on it !
image.jpg

Good morning Phil,

Totally OT, so I'll answer briefly. I guess there are too many taxis and they're having a hard time at the moment. Owners of villas and private residents like us tend to do their own transfers. The package companies use the coach companies, which take forever by the time they have visited all the small resorts. Recently the taxi companies complained to the police that private people were doing transfers without declaring the income for tax purposes, so the police have attempted to do a few spot checks, though there is no way that they prove that your passengers are not friends or relatives and that you are getting paid for it. If four of you are travelling, it's as cheap to use the taxis as the coaches and a lot quicker. This advertisement is just trying to drum up trade.

Meanwhile, back on topic, Terry's repeated BSODs are a bit disconcerting and you're probably right about the drivers, Phil. I'm guessing that the speed at which these problems get fixed is roughly in proportion to the estimated number of users of the devices. As I mentioned a few days ago, Notation Composer 3 has a small number of users and is still waiting for a fix before they can OK their product for use with W10, although a problem was reported 8 months ago.

Maurice

I upgraded to W10 and used it for almost a fortnight. It worked fine except for the error, which lots of folks got, that it was not activated. Some four different approaches to M/Soft, over a few days, found no answer.
I did not like the many areas of W10 which "phoned home". I spent a while switching most of these items off, but knowing how computers can be I sensed that they could get switched on again without my approval.
I decided to revert to W8.1 which was the initial installation on the pc a year ago. It was not a simple process and it has taken me a couple of days to get the desktop back to how it was.

I will upgrade to W10 eventually but reading the fora I note that some have had serious issues. Sony still advise me to not upgrade my W7 laptop yet. That will wait as I like W7.

Addendum: Returning home this morning finds M/Soft now suggesting, again, that I upgrade to W10. Hopefully, to keep them quiet, I have reserved W10 again. The fact I already reserved and upgraded to W10 does not seem to be acknowledged.:biggrin: My pc must just say W8.1.

W10 is obviously very buggy still and I have till Aug 28th to decide whether to go back to W7.

I used to work in Software development for a large IT company.

I used to love the saying "software is never ready, it just ships every now and again".

ALL software ships with bugs, but in the last few months before a product ships companies don't like to fix the bugs (unless they a major bugs) as it may destabilise the product and cause other bugs.

So what they do is "freeze" the software code a few months before it ships, then if bugs are found they fix them but DONT put them in the frozen code.

Then AFTER they product ships they then start to ship out the fixes to bugs they have known about for months.

Which is why I NEVER install any software product just as it comes out (and why I have not gone to Windows 10 yet).

Windows 10 is a HUGE product, millions and millions of lines of code, and it probably has hundreds of bugs in (some small, some large).

Let the bugs get fixed and THEN install it. There is no rush, there is nothing so wonderful in Windows 10 that you cant wait for it.

After all if you buy a new Ford car, and then Ford come out with a new engine, you don't rip the old engine out and put a new one in do you?

So why do the same with a computer?

After reverting to W8.1 I reserved W10 once more. I got lots of M/soft pop-ups and eventually I clicked the pop up, by mistake, rather than the X exit sign. W10 started to download! I noticed, however, that the Windows Update screen was showing for the download. This was different to my previous attempt. I did feel in my water that this time - as M/soft servers were now far less overwhelmed - that success would be achieved.
It took far less time to download - just over an hour and less than an hour to install.
I have noticed, now that W10 is up and running, some differences in this second upgrade. So, for me anyway, W10 is now installed and running fine. It took less than an hour to make sure all the on/off choices were made as I wanted them and those apps I did not want (that could be uninstalled) were. The new Mail feature seems OK and has replaced Thunderbird on my desktop. T/Bird is still on my laptop.

It would appear, providing that ones pc is compatible, W10 should be obtained with less, if any issues now.

Followed the USB stick route, W10 downloads, installs, updates but when it reaches about 30% of upgrade it fails and reverts back to W8.1, perhaps not yet suitable for my Toshiba Satellite laptop.

Back