• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

. After approx 1 hr of windows updating it suddenly comes up unable to install updates. I think I will have to take it to a computer man as there is obviously a problem. I even uninstalled Norton as that was another thing it said could be preventing updates.
I have had the exact same experience. I can see the power and search symbols on the start screen which I am assured means I have 8.1. However I followed "Radiorails" advice #76 and the reservation was made without a hitch.

I couldnt do it..... So I went online to Microsoft and who I allowed to take control of my PC and although it took them over 2 hours they did eventually get me back to Windows 8.1 So I have to say thanks Microsoft.

Well done Carolina, and well done Microsoft ...
encouragement.png

I couldnt do it..... So I went online to Microsoft and who I allowed to take control of my PC and although it took them over 2 hours they did eventually get me back to Windows 8.1 So I have to say thanks Microsoft.

hi carol i take it you are ok now logging on then ??...i ask as ive just messaged postie to say you were having probs..

lyn

My 10 year old desktop computer is eligible for the Windows 10 upgrade but lately I've noticed it can't remember what day or time it is.

I have to keep resetting it's calendar and clock so need to replace the small cmos battery on the motherboard. The pic below shows all the cables I need to unplug to get at the computer because I hid it away in a box so it was unobtrusive in my lounge. All those cables go to stereo speakers, a printer, the screen, a joy stick for my flight sim, and some other usb things.

So a major back-up to be done, a CR2032 battery to be bought, and some Voltarol I might need to rub on aches and pains with all the kneeling and crouching ... and then Windows 10 ....
cables.JPG

For those of you that does'nt know, if you click on the win 10 icon on the taskbar then you get this window up.1st picture. Click on the 3 little lines in top left corner and you will get a list of options, one of which is to check if your machine is compatible. 2nd picture

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
My 10 year old desktop computer is eligible for the Windows 10 upgrade but lately I've noticed it can't remember what day or time it is.

I have to keep resetting it's calendar and clock so need to replace the small cmos battery on the motherboard. The pic below shows all the cables I need to unplug to get at the computer because I hid it away in a box so it was unobtrusive in my lounge. All those cables go to stereo speakers, a printer, the screen, a joy stick for my flight sim, and some other usb things.

So a major back-up to be done, a CR2032 battery to be bought, and some Voltarol I might need to rub on aches and pains with all the kneeling and crouching ... and then Windows 10 ....
View attachment 99369

Looks very much like the back,and sometimes front of my computer,what with driving sims,and Elite Dangerous,i have a flight stick,and a steering wheel,the latter on a stand,keeps me out of trouble though,so all is good.

Just had an email from Microsoft
We want to give every customer a great upgrade experience, so we’re rolling it out in an organized way to manage high demand and to make sure that the upgrade is right for your device. After July 29, when Windows 10 is ready for your device, it will download in the background. You’ll then get a notification to schedule your upgrade right away or at another time that’s convenient for you.
Maybe it will all go smoothly ...
untroubled.png

New battery installed (round silver thing bottom right) and the computer now does not forget what day and time it is. It is amazing how they can get the equivalent of that lot into laptops and tablets.
new_cmos.JPG

I noticed a lot of disk activity on my laptop this morning and can see Microsoft have downloaded 4.3Gb of Windows 10 into it.

I have'nt yet received anything, but having said that I switch my router off every night. Perhaps I had better start leaving it on 24/7. Can you delay installing it till you are ready? My intention is to install it on my Laptop straight away and delay putting on my main desktop for a couple of weeks or so, if I can.

Last edited:
It is in my Windows 8.1 laptop where I will leave it without starting it for a while. It has just taken about 25 mins to download into my old Windows 7 laptop where I will give it a try sometime today. Try running windows update looking for updates that jogs it into action.

Just looked in control panel / windows update and it seems that W10 started to download but I have a fail notice. But it does say 'start installing the latest version of windows now...2,712.6MB. It does'nt seem big enough if yours is over 4Gb.

A word of caution re W10 downloads.

I have a SONY VAIO laptop. The 'care' system on that laptop advised me to hold back from installing W10 just yet as it was not compatible with drivers and some other part of my laptop. I did get a SONY update so it may be OK now, but as I am not sure I will not install W10 until told it is safe to do so.
I am sure the 'techy' guys here will warn about real problems if drivers etc are not compatible.

Sheldontony, go to control panel / windows update and it should tell you. Like I previously mentioned it seems like mine failed.

Even though it is released today, you won't get it until they are ready to release it,I have also started download, get the message- we will let you know when you can upgrade.

I have had an email to say Windows10 is now in The Store. I clicked on for info and got this. Doesnt exactly give you confidence.
Windows10.JPG

I presume if you do not wish to upgrade, (I am happy with my Windows 7) you simply ignore these icons. Incidently if you have upgraded to W10 and later decide to do a full recovery and restore it to 'factory' condition (which I occasionally do) does the PC then return to its original OS ???? probably a naïve question but I am not very high tech. Eric

Eric,

I'm sure that once you convert to Windows10 you will not be ably to get back to Windows 7 - that's how it has worked with previous versions.

Maurice

Mike,

That's a different animal! Here you are going to overwrite the Windows directory, the registry and the program files as well all your settings, so that should work.

Maurice

In C:\$Windows.~BT there is a setup.exe and I've just clicked it and a Window appeared which said install Windows Now so here goes - I may be gone for some time !

I had intended to update my laptop (Sony VAIO) to W10 before I did my desktop. However, there are many features in VAIO which check disks and other things. I decided to run the diagnostics programmes before I think about W10 to make sure the laptop is in prime state. Hopefully, when those tasks are finished I might look into a W10 installation.

I do have a W8.1 CD which I can run on the desktop if problems were to arise on that equipment.

Although I chose to reserve I have not yet seen any notification about W10 downloads as yet. But, as someone posted in an earlier post, they did advise to wait and see.

In C:\$Windows.~BT there is a setup.exe and I've just clicked it and a Window appeared which said install Windows Now so here goes - I may be gone for some time !
Well that did not go well, in fact it collapsed in a heap 15 mins in, luckily it is an old laptop so I will make disk images before I upgrade my important computers.

Back