• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where did you live

Born in Dudley Road Hospital, lived in Burbury Street, Lozells for 25 years. My family lived in Lozells for over 100 years. Sold the house in Burbury Street last year - was a very sad time - end of a very long era!

hi jules..hope you are well....it maybe the end of an era but always remember you still have your memories...

lyn

born paddington st aston in my nans back to back...then villa st hockley...my search continues for paddington st pics....have not got a single one yet....

lyn

Last edited:
Mansel Road Small Heath
then 30 years in Halesowen
now in North Wales. Listening to the sound of the sea breaking on the shore across the road, but I miss the general industrial hum and the roar when a goal was scored at St Andrews. Why?

Sandgroper

I lived at 148 Nansen Road from about 1967 to 1971. Do you remember the outdoor round the corner in Glenpark?

Like a lot of astonites l was born in Loveday street,late 1935, lived in Copeley St ,evacuated 1940-43 to Dorsington,(thats when l knew l always wanted to live in the country), lived in copeley street untill l married in 1956....then it was Arden Road untill l emigrated to Texas in1958...but Brum will always be home, even though England has changed so much in the years l've been gone l still love her.....Brenda

I lived in pershore road selly park .then sherborne rd balsall heath then conybere st .then emily street ..till i got married .then to northfield ..castle bromwich and weoley castle.... Then down to devon .where i am now living ...my dad said i should have been born a gypsy. Love him.xxx

HI ANNE I .NOTICED YOU LIVED IN THE BACK HOUSES BY BOURNBROOK .I HAD A FRIEND WHO LIVED BEHIND THE BANK OPPOSITE THE BROOK PUB .HER NAME WAS BARBARA KNIGHT ...DI YOU KNOW HER SHE WOULD BE IN HER 60s NOW...

Began Life 1956 in Arthur street, 72 Willis street Nechells till 7yr old ... 64 Osbourne Rd SparkBrook till 14 , then Kings Rd Kings Heath and finaly West Heath where I still have family .
I wish I was back home now !

Born at Lordswood Nursing Home,lived at Cotteridge Rd;Kingsley Rd (BVT);Lower Essex St;Oxford St (Stirchley);served 8 years on Pool Farm Estate!;Barn Close,Stirchley;Tenerife;then back to Stirchley.

Born at Lordswood Nursing Home,lived at Cotteridge Rd;Kingsley Rd (BVT);Lower Essex St;Oxford St (Stirchley);served 8 years on Pool Farm Estate!;Barn Close,Stirchley;Tenerife;then back to Stirchley.

Nice to hear that someone actually survived a term on Pool Farm

Born in Shirley Road Cotteridge, lived there until I moved to Yorkshire in 1974. Like Mike's family my Mom was born in the same house, she, my Dad, my younger brother all died there, and as the remaining family I sold it in 2006, spending a few days wandering around my old haunts. My daughter and fiancee are holidaying on the canal this summer and she wants to show him the beauties of Cotteridge.

I went to a meeting in Derbyshire in February, met a woman who lives in the far north of Scotland, but whose family lives in Frances Road, Cotteridge and probably knew my Mom!

I had a lot of pals from Cotteridge school who lived in Shirley,Heathcote and Dell Roads.One of them Gareth Fewings, lived in the first house past the school playground. We were still pals and used to still meet up during the 60's.The meeting point used to be Mrs.Turners shop on the corner of Heathcote and Breedon road where she would sell ciggies in singles or what ever multiple you required.

Born Loveday St 1947, lived Vincent St Balsall Heath until I was 3 then moved to Dundee, Scotland. Came back shortly before I was 5 to Vincent Street, then on to Francis St Nechells, then back to Vincent St and Larches St, Sparkbrook, Then to Inkerman St Nechells for a while. Then until 1971 spent my time between Vincent St, Larches St and Inkerman St. From 1971 onward I have spent my time happily ensconced in Solihull.

Phil

Born 12a Vicarage Road Handsworth, moved to Brasshouse Lane Smethwick at 16 yrs old then to Jayshaw Avenue at 18. Married from there, we had the last wedding reception at the old Scott Arms before it was knocked down to build the new one. Moved to Burntwood in 1967, been here ever since. Love where I live, my heart is here, but my childhood memories are in Handsworth. It is very sad to see the place now. It was such a peaceful place to live in the 40s and 50s. I have been researching my ancestors and found they all come from in and around Aston Manor, so it has been very nostalgic looking back at those places and how they would have been at the end of the 19th century.

Hi Arkrite, I note you went to school at Bishops Castle, I have a nephew who lives near there in a beautiful house in the middle of nowhere overlooking the Clun Valley, Bernard

Born in the Q.E. hospital in the depths of the coldest winter of 1947,i didnt go outside for the first 3 months of my life in Hertford St Sparkbrook. Age 4 moved to Westfield Rd,Kings Heath then to Wash Lane Yardley age 11. Since getting married i have lived in Kingshurst and Marston Green.

Re: Where did you live /

Born 4 Sandy Lane, Aston, bottom of Victoria Rd. till jerry took a disliking to it we moved to Birdbrook Rd. Great Barr in 1942 till I found a lovely girl and got married altogether OOOOO .

Ray

Charles Edward Rd, Yardley, Warwick (N/S), Immingham (N/S), Bordon (N/S), Hull (N/S), Curzon St, Summerhill Terrace, Brays Rd, Sheldon. Len.

Born 1931 253 Farm St Hockley. over my parents fish & chip shop. moved to Burbury st. Married & moved to Burnhsm rd Perry Barr. ,Taylor rd Kings Heath, Blackpool Promenade, Las Palmas. Moved to Riverside California 1982.& love it.!!!

Jean.

Born Dewsbury grove Perry Barr, delivered by Midwife Iveson who lived with us. Left after 25 years to live in Water Orton (briefly), Cheswick Green, Durham, Bramhall, Chester, Cornwall, Devon and finally back to Cornwall.

Last edited:
Born at 150 Grestone Avenue in 1952 lived there till i married in 1972 at Elmwood Church, lived at 54 Windermere Road, we moved to Solihull in the late 70s still here, but my heart will always be in Handsworth Wood, such a lovely area to have spent my childhood growing up in.

Born in 1951 in Sorrento Maternity Hospital. Lived at 3 Stretton Grove, Sydenham Road, Sparkbrook till 1955.
Flat 1/55 Ash Road, Saltley till 1967
148 Nansen Road, Ward End till 1970
120 Wood End Road, Erdington (my first shared flat, I only stayed 6 months!)
27 Markfield Road, Garretts Green (Back to mom's)
1009 Coventry Road, Hay Mills till 1974
7 Frensham Close, Chelmsley Wood till 1976
3 Wroxton Road, Yardley till 1980
Alice Springs and Melbourne, Australia till 1989
Papworth Everard, Cambridgshire till 1991
Yelling, Cambridgehsire till 2005
Now in Caldecote, Cambridgeshire

I was born in 1961 in the post office on the Warwick Road in Greet, we moved to 4 Bridge Road, Greet from there we moved to Chelmsley wood. I,ve lived in Balsall Heath, Erdington, Castle Bromwich, Kingshurst and now South Yorkshire but i would move back to Brum tomorrow if i could. There,s no place like home and i suffer terrible homesickness and i've been left ten years now.

Back