• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where did you live

Born Heathfield Maternity Hospital, lived in Putney Road Handsworth until mid twenties > Great Barr (Dyas Avenue) > Halesowen > Stourbridge > Bampton (Mid Devon) > Cotford St Luke (Somerset) > Kidderminster.
You're right...we ARE a nomadic lot, t'was always thus with Brummies I think.

I was born 3(?)/89 Queens Rd Aston in 1930 the house belonged to Atkinsons Brewery almost next door as did the others, moved to Sheldon 1935, Shirley 1939, back to Queens Rd with my Nan when Mom died 1943 (cancer) until I joined the RAF in 1948,after 8 years in RAF, 5 of them overseas, East/West Africa Hong Kong Singapore , back to Aston (Vicarage Rd) Erdington and finally Chelmsley Wood where I now live Eric

Last edited:
at the bottom of Nansen Road - the Ward End Park Road end...I'll have to look up some street names! - it was 1963 when I left the UK for Australia...

Also wonder if anyone remembers my Dad, Cecil Rhodes (that really was his name and Cecil is also my middle name), we lived at 155 and he was a one legged man on crutches - all our grandkids called him Grandad One-leg...

Welcome Alana,

Born Newtown Row Aston

Lived at Clifton Cresent Folkestone & London Road Deal before I moved to Suffolk

Small world Alf,used to have a girlfriend in Shakespeare Terrace,just off The Leas in Folkestone, and only a few days ago was enjoying fish and chips in Deal.
Never been to Suffolk though.

Started in a hospital in London,then brief stints in Sutton and Northfield.
20 years in Shirley,then stints in town,Moseley and Edgbaston.
5 years in Bradford,2 years in Olton.Couple of years splitting my week between Solihull,Folkestone and Dover.Then 3 years in Damson Wood.
Emigrated to Spain,then ukraine,spells working away in Iraq,turkey and romania.
Exiled to Margate for a year,plan to travel extensively next year when my health is better.

I was born 3(?)/89 Queens Rd Aston in 1930 the house belonged to Atkinsons Brewery almost next door as did the others, moved to Sheldon 1935, Shirley 1939, back to Queens Rd with my Nan when Mom died 1943 (cancer) until I joined the RAF in 1948,after 8 years in RAF, 5 of them overseas, East/West Africa Hong Kong Singapore , back to Aston (Vicarage Rd) Erdington and finally Chelmsley Wood where I now live Eric

Does that make you 20 years old or 120 years old ? (only joking)

Born In Sorrento (Wake Green Rd) lived in Formans Rd, Sparkhill 1945-1962.
Moved to Cheltenham, then Truro on to Crete (Greece) ended up in Dorset.

Hi I to was born in Sorrento in 1947 Lived in Gospel Lane Acocks Green, Park Road Moselsey,Homelea Road Yardley, Then Chelmsley Wood when i got Married. Now living in Folkestone and lovin it. Shame Brums not what it used be. Folkestone reminds me a little of Old Brum. My Wife Tessa worked for Barnardo's Stratford Road 1984_1993 Princess Diana came to open the Shop in 1986. We believe the building was a Woolies before Barnardos.
icon6.gif

Coleman Street, Nechells or was it Duddeston ? 1938.
YES It was Duddeston with Pom's help.
BIRMINGHAM 7 to add a little more.

lived in st marks street ladywood,with mom and dad then moved to rubery and still living here

Welcome Alana,

Born Newtown Row Aston

Lived at Clifton Cresent Folkestone & London Road Deal before I moved to Suffolk

Hi, Alf,

I was browsing through this thread and couldn't help noticing your reference to places you'd lived in...

One of them was Deal, in Kent. That brought back a few memories !

Deal is where I was inducted into the Royal Marines when I was called up for National Service in 1947. The training along that pebbly beach was hard, but I have many happy memories of my six months in Deal.

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Welcome Alana,

Born Newtown Row Aston

Ah Alf. Ive got an Aunt, Born 1935, 322 Newtown Row. was that anywhere near you.? Perahaps you might know them. The Coley family.? Reg.

Small world Alf,used to have a girlfriend in Shakespeare Terrace,just off The Leas in Folkestone, and only a few days ago was enjoying fish and chips in Deal.
Never been to Suffolk though.

Hi, wessex,

I've just seen your reply to Alf regarding your having been eating fish and chips in Deal a few days ago.

I've just sent a post to Alf telling him I knew Deal, and now we have your good self telling us you were there a few days ago!!

Well whaddya know...!

What's the dear old place looking like these days? It's 62 years since I last saw Deal and I still have happy memories of the place...

Does it still have it's pebbly beach? I used to wonder how Caesar's troops felt in their battle sandals when they landed on the beaches at Deal and Walmar all those centuries ago...!!!

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

hi, wessex,

i've just seen your reply to alf regarding your having been eating fish and chips in deal a few days ago.

I've just sent a post to alf telling him i knew deal, and now we have your good self telling us you were there a few days ago!!

Well whaddya know...!

What's the dear old place looking like these days? It's 62 years since i last saw deal and i still have happy memories of the place...

Does it still have it's pebbly beach? I used to wonder how caesar's troops felt in their battle sandals when they landed on the beaches at deal and walmar all those centuries ago...!!!

Cheers,

jim pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif
deal still looks as good as ever we often go there for a walk and some chips
we live about 30mins there the beach is nice place to sit on a warm summer day

Born Heathfield Road Maternity Home in 1946. Lived on The Broadway, Perry Barr, until 1971. Married, lived in Woodridge, Trinity Road, until 1977. Business took me to Cleveland, Ohio, USA, until 1980. Live in dear old, run-down, 24/7 parking-charge, grubby Sutton Coldfield and honestly can't be bothered to move at my age.

Big Gee

Born Dudley Road Hospital, lived 421 Hagley Road until I was 18 (it's a hotel now, see pic). Moved to Kings Norton Green, then Maypole Lane (opp where Sainsburys is now). Now just off Maypole lane, a bit further down.

deal still looks as good as ever we often go there for a walk and some chips
we live about 30mins there the beach is nice place to sit on a warm summer day

Alana 124,

Hello, Alana,

I feel a certain sentimentality towards Deal.

This is where I first learned that the world was a much bigger, and a surprisingly much better-looking place, than Adams Street, Duddeston... !!

I was born in Dudley Road Hospital in 1928 and grew up in Adams Street, living at 5 back 31 until I was called up for National Service in 1947.

Although I had appreciated some nice areas around Warwickshire, it wasn't until I was sent to Deal that I realised that Kent really was the "Garden of England"

I spent six months doing basic training at Depot RM and loved every minute of it. I understand that the Depot has now been turned into a music school for the Royal Marine band?

Later, when I was sent to other parts of the south of England to continue my training as a sea-going soldier, I realised even further how different the country was to my world in Adams Street.

During my service I tasted Lympstone, and Bickleigh, and Dartmoor, and Plymouth, in Devon. I was posted to Portsmouth, in Hampshire, after which I finished up back in Kent, in Chatham, to await demob.

When I arrived home to Adams Street, I'm afraid I grew a bit restless
and, after a while, took a job - guess where! - down south again in Havant, Hampshire.

I was married by now and we found we couldn't settle in Havant. So back we came, to Wolverhampton for three years, after which we returned to dear old Brum, to Northfield, then Woodgate Valley, where we appeared to have found our little niche...!

But we have a son, who lives and works in Germany, and he is busy carrying on his old man's habits... He's a research manager working for a large American computer company, but gets to travel all over the world - to such places as America, Maylasia, and China...

So the Pedley genes haven't done too badly, considering they originated in Adams Street, Duddeston, have they...?

All the Best,

Jim Pedley
icon14.gif

Re: Where did you live

I lived in Hillyfields Road, Erdington, then Slade Road. We moved a long time ago but I still have fond memories of living there. My grandparents lived next door.

Names I am researching: Adey, Smith, Davies, Davis, Jarrett, Tennant, Moore, Panter

hi cazxx1
just noticed you lived in st marks st
which one ? . big or small .
if it was the small do you remember the dunkleys family
or the jones,s
and if it was the large one the hardimans
or patty chapman next to the wrights ny the horse troth
or am i going to far back for you
have a nice day every-body best wishes astonion ;;

Born at Sorrento Maternity Hosp. Moseley 1946.
As a baby Albert Rd, Stechford.
1947 - 1967 William Cook Road Ward End
Coleshill
Aldridge
Coleshill (second time)
Redditch
Kings Norton
Harborne

2003 - to date, Somerset. Phew I think that's it now.

Although Somerset is a beautiful place to live I miss Birmingham (my roots) every day - WHY?

There are a lot of Brummies down here, and I find myself levitating towards the accent.

I was born Linwood cottages St Lukes Road
Reservior avenue Clark street Ladywood
Dudley road opposite the hospital
Then Telford for twenty years and now Hallgreen.

Born at the Sorrento in1946,lived in Billesley for 21 years then Aston for 22 years then back to Billesley to my parents old house, still there!

Born 2/15 Bartons Bank, Aston (long since gone)
215 Knowle Road, Sparkhill - 1941 until 1950
26 Albert Road, Kings Heath - 1950 until 1961
Mostly Dorset - 1961 - 2005
Moved to north east Crete in February 2005

Maurice

Born at Marston Green Hospital. Lived in Sydenham Buildings Phillip St Aston, the Tysley, then High Tower Nechells, then Barry Jackson Tower Aston, then Home Tower Nechells, then The Ridgeway whew........ then at last Shropshire.
All my Birmingham has changed so much but I have very happy memories of growing up in Nechells and with family in Aston.
Amanda

Hi Lynda, I have lived in Wales for the last 52 years, and yes I still miss Brum, keep your chin up you will get used to it. Geff

born back of 622 bristol road,selly oak (near to bournbrook) till i was 16 moved to flat 3 , 26 caynham road bartley green, not far off hasbury road paul, married in 1962 , moved in 1964, to get accomadation, no chance in brum at that time, even on the overspill, as hubby was an electrician he was classed as a key worker, so got a house with his job in scarborough, north yorkshire where weve been eversince. visit family in brum once a year if possible,still miss the old place, nostalgia i suppose, anne

Back