• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wheeler Street lozells

Wheeler_St-Gerrard_StLozells_The_Belle_Vue_.jpghi insearch...looking at mikes map showing where no 294 is this photo must show that house.. the belle vue pub is on the corner of gerrard st and wheeler st as marked on mikes map..at a guess i would say that no 294 would be near the bus stop you can see on the right but maybe mike could be more precise...if you click on the photo twice it will enlarge

lyn

Last edited:
The map shows only the top bit of the street. Below, the red line shows the portion covered by that map. Wheeler st went down to New John St West at the bottom of the map below.The house was next door to a wholesale and retail milliner, and close to a pub, gents outfitter and tobacconist. On the opposite side of the road between Gower St & Gerrard St was a grocer and upholsterer. Were they at that address in 1945 or after, as ,if so, they should be on the electoral roll which is online for some years.

map_c_1938_wheeler_st_showing_where_earlier_map_covered.jpg

Thanks Lyn, i am new to this and not used to scrutinising maps! i cant seem to identify a bus stop!

hi insearch and dont worry as we were all new at one time...if you look at the photo i have posted just past the cars are a line of house and a bus stop i think that no 294 would be within that line of houses but like i said mike maybe able to confirm this for you...

Thanks both, no, Mike, i don't think they were, all i know is that they lived together for the first year of my dad's life and tried to manage, so that was 1943-44. I think i see it, by the bushes!

Below I have marked some of the numbers, and an arrow to where no 294 is. It is the last of the shop-type buildings, before the plain terraced houses (though they may have all been houses originally , apart from the pub, but converted).

Wheeler_St-Gerrard_StLozells_The_Belle_Vue_showing_numbers_and_no_294.jpg

Thanks both, no, Mike, i don't think they were, all i know is that they lived together for the first year of my dad's life and tried to manage, so that was 1943-44. I think i see it, by the bushes!

thats it insearch you have got it now and one of those houses with the bushes outside i think is no 294..ahh mike has just confirmed it so i was not far out..

lyn

Incidently Lyn, I'm not sure if the date on the photo is correct. The 1969 Kellys shows no businesses, or nthe pub in that part of the road, and on th ephot the pub and the car business seem to be still there . so possibly it is slightly earlier than 1969

thanks mike always possible dates on photos are wrong..

insearch pretty sure wheeler had not been demolished prior to 69 as i well remember our mom dragging me the length of it to get our shopping in when i was in my teens...could have been middle 70s before demolision started there but by they i would guess a lot of businesses had moved out..

lyn

lol insearch and it was all uphill as well..there was quite a few pubs along the way.there was another one just up from the belle vue called the rose and crown corner of wheeler st and gower st..somewhere on this thread there should be photo of my dad taken in the acorn pub wheeler st in 1958..must check that actually

lyn

Last edited:
lol insearch and it was all uphill as well..there was quite a few pubs along the way.there was another one just up from the belle vue called the rose and crown corner of wheeler st and gower st..somewhere on this thread there should be photo of my dad taken in the acorn pub wheeler st in 1958..must check that actually

lyn

https://www.mirrorpix.com/webgate/preview.php?UURL=d105ac378045190342202d64aabfe218&IMGID=00326750

I nearly got this one by mistake, Lyn

https://www.mirrorpix.com/webgate/preview.php?UURL=8716466f2cfde416d67fdc25f3c5dd0a&IMGID=00027070

PHILLIP..THE RETREAT AND WHEELER ST 001.JPGPHILLIP..THE RETREAT AND WHEELER ST 004.JPGPHILLIP..THE RETREAT AND WHEELER ST 006.JPGPHILLIP..THE RETREAT AND WHEELER ST 007.JPG4 new pics of wheeler st folks..pics 3 and 4 show lozells congregational church part demolished

lyn

Last edited:
Wheelers St.jpg I have just acquired this interesting advertising flyer, date unknown

hi folks i have about 20 cracking new pics of wheeler st..will post them asap

lyn

Last edited:
Wheeler Street - Gerrand Street towards Cliford Street Lozells 11-3-1968.jpgs Television & Radio 6.3.68.jpgWheeler Street back yard Newtown 23-10-1962.jpgWheeler Street Congregation Church Newtown 5-12-1956.jpgwell folks we have waited a long time for some decent pics of wheeler st..hope these bring back memories for some of you..if you click on them 3 times they will enlarge and if you hover over the photos some of them give the numbers of wheeler st and also the dates taken

lyn

Last edited:
Wheeler Street No 230-274 from Gerrand Street Newtown 11-3-1968.jpgWheeler Street No 287 Newtown 17-6-1958.jpg

Attachments

• Wheeler Street - 1967 - Back.jpg
    Wheeler Street - 1967 - Back.jpg
    998.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Wheeler Street - 1967 - Front.jpg
    Wheeler Street - 1967 - Front.jpg
    944.3 KB · Views: 131
Nice pictures Lyn. I remember my dad cleaning the windows just like that chap in post 202...2nd pic. Any idea of the name of the pub in the 2nd picture post 203?

morning terry..the pub is the lord byron a favourite with lucas workers...bit annoyed actually because if that car park was not in the way we would have had the best shot of the pub i have seen..the block of flats central to wheeler st is geach tower where i lived for 5 years...this was after the demo of wheeler st..the maisonettes to the right are in mosborough crescent which is where i moved to after escaping the dreaded tower block..oh and the 2 century boxes was our dads office when he worked on security at the lucas factory..

lyn

Last edited:
Fantastic, bring back many memories. My gran lived in one of the houses in the second #202 picture. The one with somebodies' hand shaking something out of the attic window. She died in the mid fifties before this photo was taken. I would spend every Saturday afternoon sat silently on a chair in the dark by the door in the dark living room. All the family would visit her then. My mom, dad (the eldest son), his three brothers and two sisters. In the couple of years before she died she had a telly but it wasn't on when we were there as she thought the telly people could see and hear us. For one year in the early fifties, uncle Albert, a postman who never married and lived with gran, was lying in bed by the downstairs window dying of cancer. Apart from my mom none of the other husbands or wives came and I was the only grandchild there. As I sat there in the dim light for what seemed hours, I was not seen, never mind not heard

Back