• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wheeler Street lozells

been a while since anyone posted on this thread so for those who have not seen this thread there are some great old photos to view remember to start reading from post 1 like you do not miss any

lyn

Lyn, I have taken your advice here, much of interest to see - the pools winner for instance - may be he could afford the dentists now. Someone mentioned the lack of trams, but acknowledged they had run there. However the traction poles were still in evidence albeit housing street lights.
As you will recall I wan't a resident of the city but living close enough to find it a vibrant and interesting place. I don't think the city possesses many of the fascinating buildings and the industrial features and buildings that were so widespread in the past. I am, of course, referring to the late 1948 to early 1950's period.
In my early teens I used to wonder what some of the roads and streets depicted on BCT destination blinds actually looked like, so i made it my duty to go and see for myself what they actually looked like. Bus route 69 was one the many places I visited.
The longest journey I made was, of course, the 11 Outer Circle followed by the 29A Baldwins Lane to Pheasey Estate. I had some relations living on the 8 Inner Circle so I made a trip quite often in both directions to gain the Stratford Road.

Back