• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What music brings out your emotions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oisin

gone but not forgotten
This has nothing to do with any of the local areas, just a little comment about nostalgia.

Now the last thing anyone can accuse me of is being a sloppy sentimentalist, but (“Aah”, I hear you all sigh, “here comes the contradiction) I was recently given “Kinks – The Ultimate Collection”. Well, to me, Ray Davies is one of the best British songwriters ever (pity he isn’t from Birmingham but we can’t have everything). His works very intuitive and contain some extremely clever wordplays: Apeman, Lola, Dedicated Follower of Fashion, Sunny Afternoon, to name but a few.

(Are you still with me? You at the back – wake up!)

So, I slipped the first disc of this double album on the old Philips and sang along to all the old songs till I got to track 23, Come Dancing. I’ve always found this one amusing, but today, it really took me back to the old days and brought a wonderful warm tingle all over me. Next and last on that disc, came the follow up release, Don’t Forget to Dance. This one… well it actually brought a tear to my eye. I’d quite forgotten how poignant the words are.

(Yes it is ME, paulj writing).

I’m not joking, it hit me that hard; the rush of emotion was so dramatic I don’t think I’ve experienced anything like that before over a simple little song. The only remedy I had was to go out into the garden, coatless in the driving rain, and punch a couple of six inch nails into a railway sleeper with my bare fist, just to prove I’m not going soft.

Anyway, what I’d like to know of you good folks is, have you ever experienced anything as melodramatic as this over something so simple and, if so, what was it?

Paul, You are not alone, old songs do it to me to, they bring back all the old memories of my teenage years and when I was in the RAF. we used to get all the romantic songs over the PA system. Today although I'm in my 70s I still sing those old songs as I go about the days chores. Happy Days.

Wally.

The Dance - Garth Brookes

I keep telling my hubby I need this played at my funeral.....so if he forgets.......please someone remind him.

The words are so apt, but the video that accompanies it is amazing. Its about living life to the full...taking risks......valuing lifes experiences.......and no regrets. The video shows people like JFK, Martin Luther King, the crew of the space shuttle that blew up on take off etc.......... Its a very emotional song, but reminds us to live life to the full...cus we never know when our life will end.

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes. The Platters sang this in the 50's, I only have to hear the opening bars and I wobble like a jelly.

Taint soft to be emotional Paul, shows you've got a lot of heart :D

:lol: Hey, you'll never guess what... I just played that disc again and I caught Mrs paulj going through the wedding album. :p Must have an effect on her as well, but she far less likely to admit it. :roll:

(At least I think it was the wedding album and not that collection of old boyfriends' correspondence she's kept. :( )

Hi all, There are quite a few songs Paul that bring a tear to my eye, Helen Shapiro "Dont treat me like a child" cause us girls at 15 wanted to be her! ANY ballad by Billy Fury as he was and still is my No.1 I know sad! Its mine and my others halfs 40 th wedding anniversary in November and we cant agree on a song for"the dance" at our do! any suggestions, behave Paul! Jackie :wink: :D

God only knows what I’d be without you

I may not always love you
But long as there are stars above you
You never need to doubt it
I’ll make you so sure about it

God only knows what I’d be without you
The Beach Boys

This song, with it's opening music conjours up the beach at Withersea.....
I'm 13/14 years old or thereabouts, it's Sunday the last day of our holidays, all the packing is done and my eldest brother is loading the car while one of my other brothers Alan is also on the beach with me. The music of the Beach Boys is drifiting from a portable radio, I turn around to see me dad, and mom her hair caught by the sea breeze thats blowing. I guess i'm full of aprehension, i'll be back at school tomorrow and starting in a new class. I'm also aware that mom is unhappy, she never ever liked returning home from holiday, dad is doing is best at being a Wally, messing me mom about trying to make her laff, mom usually ended up calling him a "silly bleeder Ernie " and we would all fall about laffing.

Sue
The Dance is surely one of those songs that gives me goose bumps!!

Songs

Just wondering if "The Dance" is the same song sung in the last few years by American singer Leanne Rimes. I sent the words to my daughter Michelle in Tokyo because I thought they were amazing. It was written by Mark T. Sanders and Tia Sillers:

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder.
You get your fill to eat, but always keep that hunger.
May you never take one single breath for granted.
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed.
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean.
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens.
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance.
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance.

I hope you dance-hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance.
Never settle for the path of least resistance.
Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin'.
Lovin'might be a mistake but it's worth makin'.
Don't let some hell bent heart leave you bitter.
When you come close to sellin'out, reconsider.
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance.

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean.
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens.
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance.

Dance
I hope you dance.

Music has accompanied me throughout my life as a very important
companion. I spent all my young years in church choirs, etc. and still love
the sound of children's voices. I remember the warm afternoons in summer walking down the school corridors and hearing lovely British melodies being sung and sometimes slaughtered at school. I remember them still and through the Internet I can find and play them whenever I feel like hearing them. Raising two children enabled me to attend concerts at their schools and have a sniff in the dark when certain songs came along bringing back memories of song sung so many years ago.

My father brought home a small Perdio transistor radio when I was l5
and I had to fight to keep my older brother Peter from hogging it.
Very late at night, volume turned down low and hidden under the covers, I would tune into the AFN network and also Radio Luxembourg. It was so great and I remember well the advertising for Tetley Tea, Williams Lectric Shave and others. The site for Radio Luxembourg that has some great songs from the l960's is https://www.offringa.nl/radioluxembourg.htm
which reminds of The Shadows "Wonderful Land"...now that does give me
a great "memory" blast.

I can look back through the music charts through the l950's, l960's and l970's and find so many songs that will be "watermarks" on my life through those years. Doris Day, Johnny Ray, Cliff Richard, Connie Francis, Buddy Holly. Tommy Steele, Adam Faith, Marty Wilde, Tommy Roe, Elvis, The Beatles, etc, etc. so many songs and memories. I have a list of l50 song titles that I copied down years ago from my "Dancing Years" at the Locarno and also at Madame Amies in Chain Walk. It was all ballroom dancing at Amies until about l958 when during the interval the owner used to allow some Rock n Roll to be played... Wake Up Little Susie by Buddy Holly definitely comes to mind. The Manager knew that this music was the future for popular music and dance but it took a while to get him to give in to it. There were some great dancers back then.

When I came to London a couple of years ago to see the celebrations for the Queen's Jubilee and especially" Party at the Palace"...my daughter and I walked into the hugely crowded Mall that evening to hear Cliff Richard singing....Living Doll...... I've got myself a cryin', talkin', sleepin' walkin' living doll....... Wonderful memories rushed back of a fellow I met at Mablethorpe in Linc. on holiday. He used to sing this song and substitute the word Brummie for the word "living" in the song......Ha Ha Ha.
Brian Wilson singing "California Girls" bought back great memories of a late l960's trip down the California coast to San Francisco when we had an eight track tape in the car.

GARTH BROOKS LYRICS

"The Dance"

Looking back on the memory of
The dance we shared 'neath the stars above
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known that you'd ever say goodbye

And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance........................................................

Frank Sinatra does it for me :!: Especially him singing "You and me (we had it all) from his Trilogy album ........ mmmmmmmm 8)

The memories come flooding back don't they. All those names Jennie Ann. Robot, I still think Sinatra is, in Michael Parkinsons words, 'The Govenor.'
I would like to give Mamma Cass a mention, she whips me back to the 70's when our children were teenagers and having a wonderful time.
'Dream a Little Dream With Me.'

:D

What music brings out your emotions

Dean Martin and Nat King Cole are my favorite male singers. Vera Lynne and Gracie Fields did it for me dureing the war years when I was overseas in the RAF , all the sentimental songs they had dureing the war really helped me forget I was thousands of miles away from home. Vera used to sing,
" We'll meet again don't know where don't know when, but I know we'll meet again some sunny day".
Happy memories, Wally 8) 8) 8)

My mother used to write to Gracie Fields when she was living on the ilse of Capri and I have a postcard that Gracie sent her also an LP. My Best Friend (hubby :wink: ) loves theatre organ music and is an avid collector of records, tapes and cd's, so here we are, him playing Phil Kelsall and me playing Old Blue Eyes :p We do like New Age music also (Native American music.....oh the drums!! 8) a hug aday keeps the divorce lawyers away(and you richer in more ways than :!: ) :wink:

Frank Sinatra+Chairman of the Board

Yes, I also think Frank Sinatra is the tops in so many ways. There are radio stations in the States that only play his music 24/7!!!!!! There used to be singer that fronted the band at the Locarno on Hurst Street in the early l960's who sang so many of his songs and sounded a lot like him as well. The dance band in those years was led by an award winning Band Leader called Colin Jones. It was often a band with over 20 musicians. Did anyone else go at that time to the Locarno? There was also a great girl singer with the band but I heard that she died in a car accident some years later.

Hmmmmmmmmm!?

:D There are so many songs and pieces of music that I could put into this post that Rod, John, Sue and the rest of you would ban me from ever posting again - As the space and time that you would need to read it would be too great… :roll:
There are songs from childhood that remind me of Mom ‘Don’t Fence Me In ‘ Gracie Fields, of Dad ‘Diana ‘ Paul Anka and ‘Save The Last Dance For Me’ The Drifters, my Sister who sat on ‘Cindy’ and broke it before it was even played on ‘The Dancette’. :cry:
Also ‘Bobby’s Girl’ and all Billy Fury’s and Cliff’s are her's too, my Brother on breaking up with a girl ’Boys Cry’ Eden Kane and ‘Little Children’ Billy J Kramer, Mario Lanza and even Hayley Mills. :roll:
Radio songs from the 50’s, also the tunes from the T.V. And Movies that were popular at that time (most of you will know them!). :)
I liked just about all 60’s songs and Music except,’ Little Red Rooster’ The Stones. I hated that one (not sure why) :( .
Some of my main ones though, just to name a few are: All Elvis! ‘Kelly’ Dal Shannon, ‘The Carnival Is Over’ The Seekers, ‘Single Girl’ Sandy Posey ‘If You’ve Gotta Make a Fool of Somebody’ Freddy and The Dreamers, 'Blanket On The Ground' Billy Joe Spires, 'Everyones Gone To The Moon' Jonathan King, ‘Eve Of Destruction’ Barry McGuire (so true even today) :cry: . ‘Try and Catch The Wind’ Donovan. 8)
The song that was playing when Colin and I first danced was ‘Then He Kissed Me’ and he always called me ‘A Whiter Shade of Pale’. :oops:
As I said I could go on – I find even the more modern music brings feelings and memories flooding back of friends and as the kids and Grandkids grow up.
I’m just sloppy I guess and music, words and songs when put together are a good way of having your emotions shaken and stirred. :wink:
(Pleasr excuse any name, or spelling errs). :lol:

I love music and lots bring out emotions.

Two particularly Nimrod Elgar enigma variations
Duet from the Pearl Fishers

Soul music from the 60,s thro to present, as they mostly relate to various girlfriends and lost loves etc .

Enduring singers that move me are Nat King Cole , Sinatra, Stevie Wonder ,Ella Fitzgerald , Sarah Vaughan,

Modern singers Al Jarreau , Ian Shaw, Norah Jones,

The pearl fishers

Here here Colin. I was just about to post about The pearl Fishers duet. I have got the Andrea Bocceli and Bryn Terfel version and every time I play it, it makes the hairs on my arms stand up on end. The same with Bocceli's 'Nissun Dorma'. I love Rock'n roll and feel priveliged to have lived through the metamorphis that music underwent in the sixties , I was there on my 'Bonneville' during the 'mods & rocker' wars but it is nearly always one of the classics that makes me go 'goosie'. 'Jesu joy of mans desiring', 'Canon' by Pachelbel.(played at Princess Di's funeral) I also have a special place for 'Whiter shade of pale' which to this day still reminds me of my 'First Love' :cry:

Music,Music,Music

Frantic and Colin: Your favourite Pearl Fishers Duet makes the top of the list for the programme "Your 100 Best Tunes", the BBC Radio 2 programme I listen to often when I am at my computer in the evenings whilst you in the UK are sleeping. Here is the site to see what the other 99 best tunes are. https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/100best/100bestpoll.shtml

Pearl Fishers is also one of my favourites in the classical genre.
My parents were great classical music lovers,( Mom played the piano but also liked all kinds of music. She bought the first Bill Haley "Rock Around the Clock" LP) and so I came by my liking of this music honestly.

When my kids were in school I volunteered for several years at the Orpheum Theatre in Vancouver where the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra played and still play Afternoon Tea Concerts over the Autumn and Winter months. I could go there and listen to all my favourites and help serve tea and biscuits to the audience which was well over 2,000 on these occasions.... then I would hide up in the Upper Balcony and in the darkened theatre would listen to the Orchestra play wonderful music such as Fingals Caves, Finlandia, Grieg, Strauss Walzes, etc,etc.
Lovely memories

Nice to give the classics an airing. I love the aria from Lachme, can't remember what is called at this minute. It goes Daaaa Da Da Da, Daaaa Da Da Da - know the one I mean. :D

Lakme Aria

Hi Diana I think this is the Da Da you mean :lol: Have a look at Amazon.com an type Lakme in the search area. The first CD that comes up is Richard Bongye conducting. Scroll down to the sample tune area and the No. 5 is the one. Hope so anyway. By the way, if I have a query about a song that goes through my head, I always go to Amazon.com to see if I can find it. The other day Tommy Steele songs came to mind (Happy Guitar) and I found snippets on this site. If not Barnes & Noble is another site. The best site though is Naxos. com. https://www.amazon.com is a start.

It's called the Flower Song, came to me later. But I will go and have a look at Amazon, Jenny Ann. Thanks for the link. :D

I've looked, they call it the Flower duet, I have only heard it sung as a solo. I think I'll buy a copy.

classics

D For all my rambling on about Elvis and Rock & Roll 8) I must also admit to having a full collection of Elgar, Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Gershwin and many others (and it all gets played at some time) 8) . Colin also has a very large collection of 'Blues' music by all the Blue's classic artists. I have (must wisper this) some very good 'Country' stuff also (that is classed as a swear word when around Dean & Colin :oops: )...
As I said in my first post if I listed all the music that stirs me for one reason or another we would be here forever.

Hey Pom, if you really want something that stirs you, try 'Let's twist again" or maybe 'Shakin' all over". :lol:

Any think by John Denver his music and songs just about covers any life story as below just a sample of is lyrics

This song appears on two albums, and was first released on the Back Home Again Album, and has also been released as a live version on the An Evening With John Denver Album.

Music makes pictures and often tells stories
All of it magic and all of it true
And all of the pictures and all of the stories
All of the magic, the music is you

Music makes pictures and often tells stories
All of it magic and all of it true
And all of the pictures and all of the stories
And all of the magic, the music is you

Words and music by John Denver

Hi Rod can we have music on the forum just a thought

John I aint sure we can? BUT if we could I know for a fact "Sunshine" would be in the tope 5 of my songs!!

just for you Rod

SUNSHINE ON MY SHOULDERS
John Denver
Words by John Denver; Music by John Denver, Mike Taylor and Dick Kniss

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
Sunshine almost always makes me high

If I had a day that I could give you
I'd give to you the day just like today
If I had a song that I could sing for you
I'd sing a song to make you feel this way

Sunshine almost always makes me high

If I had a tale that I could tell you
I'd tell a tale sure to make you smile
If I had a wish that I could wish for you
I'd make a wish for sunshine for all the while

Sunshine almost all the time makes me high

This has to be one of my all time favourite songs....... Fantastic words don't you think John?

Dont cry for me.

Now I might write as though I weep buckets every two seconds or that I melt when I hold a certain chocolate in my hand but the truth is, I rarely do..
Oh sure, I can shed a tear over something sad or a death etc but I usually do it in private or after the emergency is over or when the need to keep strong has gone..
But there was a time I was left as a complete wreck and it was at the Cinema with Roz..
I was watching 'Evita' (the Madonna version)
Evita is dying of Cancer and she sings the lines.
'What's the use of the strongest heart,
In a body that's falling apart'
In that instant I stopped watching Evita and I was with my Mom...
You see, she used exactly those same words......and a few months later she just faded away..
I still cant play it and I always either skip the track or go 'Fast forward' pretty silly huh?

With the Sunday Mail was a free CD, and on it would you believe was the Flower Duet by Lakme. It's almost worn out already. :D

Beautiful Posting above,,,Well done you barmy pommy Christine you :-*

Well i just kinda nipped on to here because,,my Birthday Posting reminded me of another JOHN

Well as its Music on here it just seems to Fit better :) John Lennon,,, Birthday today,,

Miss YOU John,,the World misses your Music,,, Imagine,,, if only You were still here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back