• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What did you wear?

Alf Maggs on reading Alfs reply I can't stop laughing either. Told Pete and he said us women have a way with words. Jean.

I noticed this photo of my mom and her friends on holiday in Wales were wearing pini's. I suppose they still had the cooking to do while us kids enjoyed ourselves. Jean.

Alf, I mean't what I said MARBLES, am I ever rude!!!!! It's what you read into it.

Maggs

I noticed this photo of my mom and her friends on holiday in Wales were wearing pini's. I suppose they still had the cooking to do while us kids enjoyed ourselves. Jean.

Oh aint they lovely Jean? Pinnies were the order of the day. Not enough money to keep spoiling dresses and skirts in those day's. Bless em!

yes in the fifties. our cossys were one size fits all a sort of ruffled material with elastic running straight through them they were very stretchy also , nearly all the girls wore ribbans or hair bands ,in there hair .boys greasy slicked back hair,tank tops and shorts, sunday best and partys cotton frocks with big sash belts tied in bow at the back, and puff sleaves,and oh the dreaded libery bodice, rubber buttons almost impossible to undo,can anyone remember the plastic pixie boots for girls, with that little bit of fur round the top . i think from woolworths .in red ,brown, black ,or white, was the colours. the white ones went yellow in the snow . but i loved them.also the dreaded plastic sandles in the summer.all coulors, then the leather sandles they were nice. brown, red ,or white ,navy, for boys or black,wellies were always black , then you had the brown ring round yer leg ,from prolonged use ha ha ,even summertime,for down the cut.

Hello Jean. At that Headington School, we had a Miss Pugh and she used to fill the baths with water for us girls. Where you taken to see the boat race [not sure if it was the Oxford and Cambridge one]/ Al we visited the University's - remember Christ Church and Brasenose - the later smelt of stale food. Remember it even now. Miriam,

Maggs did you notice the little blond girl at the back of the ladies in their pinies?. Hi Alf and welcome. I thought Maggs comment was funny though and so did Pete. Back in a mo gotta go kiss Alex goodnight. Jean.

Almost all my ' old photo folder' comes up with the title of Aunt Florie - does any one know why? Miriam.
it may be that when you put the pictures in your folder then added to the they will all come up with The title of the last file / folder heading click on each photo and rename them (I Think )

I remember wearing some sort of leather helmet when i went to school.

That would be in the mid 1950's.

The sort of thing you would probably find in an adults only store today.

I remember those leather helmet things too. Not that I wore one because I was a gel. Harley, I also remember all the things you mentioned, funny how you forget until someone mentions it isn't it? Those swimming costumes with the elastic thread (I have a pic of me in one at Blackpool) they made me scratch, and when they came off the body was covered in lines where the elastic had dug in.

I remember wearing some sort of leather helmet when i went to school.

That would be in the mid 1950's.

The sort of thing you would probably find in an adults only store today.

Some lads a my school wore these, but as they weren't 'uniform' they were not approved of.

Pete's still got one now and he pulls the ear part up when it's warmer and press studs it on top of his head. Don't tell him I let on though. Jean.

Army surplus,was one place where I remember being rigged out,we all seemed to have army jackets,one of my cousins had a R.A.F jacket,(the proper name for them was blouse,never could call them that)

The helmets had a peak and under chin strap, but did not look like a

flying helmet, there was no fur trim or anything like that.

I had a green example, kept your ears warm anyway...

Thanks other half, but I have tried that and it doesn't work - it seems to be with this folder only. My aunt Florie is being sent all over - even when the picture is of an entirely different item. I'm being got at, I think!!!!
Miriam.

A photo of my brother who would have been ten with chubby cheeks on his lap. Imagine lads of his age today dressing like that. I don't think so. Jean.

Oh the memories of school camp at headington, our school went in oct nov 1950, we had the same teachers you mentioned...if you remember those huts we slept in had no heat also the windows had to remain open,and being it was late in the year it was really cold lots of frosts...so you can imagine how cold it was when it was bath time...remember we had no privacy...and we all had a brisk walk up shotover hill...l'm sure we did all the things you did visiting colleges churches etc l did.nt wear my liberty bodice then thought 14 was far to old for them, I remember miss Pigott, we called her the walrus if you remember she had hairs growing out just like a walrus....l still have my camp diary have to get it out and read it maybe it will rattle the gray matter and bring back some more memories...Brenda

I was there in 1958 59 ish Brenda and Miss Piggot had left the camp to become our Deputy Head at Manor Park then she went back to Headington. Have you a photo of her as I havn't?. Our parents visited for a day and I'm sure Patty will remember they showed us up and went scrumping. It was lovely to be able to wear your casual clothes though. When we visited the university we were all checked over to make sure our uniforms were perfectly ironed. TTFN. Jean.

Think I went earlier than you as am a 'little' older - but you are so right about those cold, cold nights and lack of privacy. Can't remember the food and where we ate. Miriam.

When I went to Senior School 1n 1947, I saw a photo on Friends Re of our school Prefects 1950 and I knew them all and 2 were wearing pumps and three in Cut down Wellington's. I think Mom got Daily Mail boots for me.

Don't remember wearing underskirts (joking)
i remember getting a pair of daily mail boots, did you get yours from a building ii saltley, near alum rock rd?

Hi all - I had to wear my sister's castoffs including her old shoes. The only trouble was I was 3 inches taller than her and two sizes bigger in the footwear department!.

I liked it when we got to the 50's. When I finally got to work (at 15) I bought this pair of shoes - hardly any front back or sides - just a few straps and a slim slim heel. They lasted about 3 days before I broke the heel running down New Street!. Then came the black slim skirt and cardigan worn back to front. I used to go out with a chap who had a big motorbike - the skirt used to have to come almost round my neck when I got on the bike!

Who remembers the foam underskirts to make your skirt stick out - the only trouble was it kept ripping every time you didnt sit right in it!
Good old days. Best wishes Jan

jardend1. How I remember those back to front cardi's. Mine had to be black. Was it Brigitte Bardot who started that craze. Also does anyone remember 'Poppit beads' and waspy belts, Gondoleir baskets, and those little box type handbags, (can't remember what they were called) They had a mirror inside the lid, and carried so many goodies.

I went to school in the 50/60's wearing 'designer trainers'........... Here they are.......... Mabz

Back