• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What did you wear?

• Thread starter Thread starter oldgoose
  • Start date Start date
1945 Ray, I can't believe it. However I was just a babby then. They must have revived that dance then for the late 50's.

Beamish, I still have pink and blue rollers. I remember Margot hair lacquer.

Judy it came to me about those nylons with patterns around the ankle, very stylish and not too cheap either. If I remember rightly the patterns were either side of the seam, it's a wonder the lads aren't getting excited about this. We used to buy nylons in our size in those days too. non of this one size fit's all lark.

I remember the 'creep' very well and the sack dress - I had a black jersey one which became a maternity dress as it was strechy - the pale coloured nylons came in - I had pale grey ones which I used to get in Lewis's for half a crown a pair - loved them but they didn't last very long - also had a duffel coat and I think they were ski trousers louped under the foot - lots of memories.
Sheri

Oh Sheri I loved my duffle coat, it was white with a red lining. I used to go off the Springhill Ice rink in that, with my skates over my shoulder and I felt like a queen. Yes those nylons laddered so easily. Then out came micro mesh and they were a little stronger. Do you remember we used to put nail varnish on the ladder to stop it running?

I do remember putting nail varnish on ladders - clear I thi nk - ended up with dry spots on our legs trying to get those nylons to last a bit longer and micro mesh did help. my duffel was black - loved it.
Sheri

Maggs,
1945 suprised me as well,I thought early 50s.It began in the U.S.A,It seems to have taken a long time to reach us.

It certainly did take a long time Ray. I had never heard of those singer's either, did a British group re-do it?

Ken Mackintosh's band did the creep,
this isn't a very good version but you might remember the music.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe3hJ9vl-mE"]YouTube - The Creep: Ken Mackintosh[/ame]

Brummie Nick that brought back some memories, also your leaflet showing the footwork Ray. I just remember shuffling around the dance floor, and one hand would be on the boy's shoulder, and the other would be holding his held low by your knees. I remember doing the creep around 1954ish.

Sheri - I remember putting nail varnish on my stockings. Kept some clear varnish just for that purpose.

Judy

Maggs, the hair laquer I remember was Rosedale. It came in a little pink plastic tube and you used to transfer it to a squeezy spray bottle. It was lethal stuff and to get it out, when I washed my hair, I used to have to use Borax.

Judy

Judy, its funny you should mention washing your hair in Borax, because I always wanted to be blonde instead of brunette, so my step mum always said wash your hair with Borax to lighten it. I wonder why that's why I went grey so soon then, never went blonde. I do remember that hair spray too, like you say it must have been lethal.

Pulling the stockings off after putting nail varnish on a ladder, was painful to say the least.

Hello Maggs. Every Saturday night was Borax night for me too - also I had a rinse that mom used to make from Calamine flowers bought from the Chemist. - No wonder I am a Cauliflower head.

Incidental what did you think of my short hair cut? Miriam.

Oh another one then Miriam, didn't realize that Borax was so popular for hair washing. Your mum was a modernist then wasn't she? Using Camomile flowers for hair. These day's that is put into shampoo for anyone with fair hair. The shampoo I loved in the 1950's was Drene, the perfume was heavenly.

Hi All
Mum used to cut her frocks down for us and make our clothes . She had a struggle to make ends meet and that was in the late 50s early 60s . She had 5 kids and dad worked at the Morris Commercial in Adderley Rd.
1st Piccy are my dads Brothers and Sisters . This was taken in Floodgate Street .
2nd Picture is me as a 5 year old . Im the little cheeky one on the left .. 2 other sisters Julie and Susie . Dad Harry Payton and Mum in the background . Our clothes were hand made by mum ohh and the car belonged to a mate of dads who took us all out for the day to Drayton manor :)
Jean

Yea Mags
Thing is we all know this but the younger generation dont . You can be poor in material things and yet rich with love . We learnt as kids that the world didnt OWE us anything and we had to work for what we needed . Sadly some of today youngsters expect it all given to them straight away without having to work and if it isnt .. well they will go and take some one elses stuff . I might add Not all young people are like that .
A lot of us growing up in brum were poor but we have happy memories .
Me and my hubby were victims of a passing car vandal who torched our car :( We are now very broke . But we turned to each other and had a big hug and said well . We have each other .
Jeanxx

I think most of us growing up in Brum in the old day's were pretty poor, but what we didn't have we didn't miss did we?

Glad you have the strength the overcome the problems that have beset you and realise what really matter's in life... and that's one another, be it family or friends, you can't buy them can you?

Maggsx

Maggs
I tell you what also we older brummies have a heart of gold especially those from Aston/Nechells/Sparkbrook/Bordesley Green Balsall Heath . its people that matter not money .
TBH We are very broke after this car business as the car cost us 800 quid to buy 2 months ago and the insurance is only offering us 50 quid back . But hey you pick yourself up and you dust yourself down and you begin again :) It wont take us long . hmhmh I just found a piccy of me and my sisters 10 years later in Hotpants eeekkk !!!! Looks like I was always the chubby sister .
However mum used to try to kit us out fow weddings etc . This is a Phot of me as a little one at my Aunty Cathy's Wedding with my dad . I think there used to be a childs party dress in the market in brum where you could get childress frilly dresses cheap ?
Jean xx

Lovely pics Catclaws, I forgot all about hot pants, I had some in pink candy stripe. Wish I had a photo to show you. I think in my day they were called shorts, but goodness me were they short!

Hope you soon get yourselves sorted, not nice what has happened.

Chin up gel, you have got the right attitude.

I loved to dress up as a child and perform operations on my teddy bear and wore just an old pair of jeans and t shirt when I worked at the holiday camp with horses. The pony was Tango. Baron love the photo of you and your lads. Jean.

Last edited:
Best and most comfortable way Baron. Just gone back to the sand dune photo and had a laugh. I thought it was of your wife. Bye. Jean.

One item I had to wear was a hand knitted swimming costume made by my gran (bless her),once it was wet it hung below my knees...how cool is that ?.
had one of those, went swimming in small heath park and off it came

Did you have mittens on a cord so hat you wouldn't lose them? Nan made woolly hats from old unravelled jumpers. My other Nan could make lovely little skirts from old trousers, and my "undies" from her old ones!!

My mom used to make most of my clothes and I have two school photo's taken over two years and I have the same dress on. Guess it was shortened then the hem let down the next year. She always knitted my cardi's and jumpers. Jean.

Last edited:
Hi Jean, what did I wear for school, pumps with a bit of cardboard inside to cover the holes, you were very luckly to have such a privileged upbringing, I always think
of that old saying "You can choose your friends, but not your relations Bernard

Bernard most of my clothes were second hand from the Aston Curch Post Office lady whose daughter was a little older than myself or a bit taller. Lucky mom could knit and alter clothes I guess. Jean.

Back