• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What Are Faggots?

• Thread starter Thread starter Beryl M
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am Cook by name but not but not by nature, so I have to by my faggots usually Brains frozen. I add mashed potatoes and mushy peas and a bit of ketchup about once a week. Eric

In the late seventies , the good lady and I went on a Black Country Night Out with the firm I was working for in Henrietta St, a thoroughly enjoyable evening what with all the black country comedians and last but not least the faggots and pays the star attraction
this is the problem when we move away from our native country...my daughter married an american lad and has lived in grand forks north dakota for 9 years now...still got a perfect brummie accent:) but she does miss certain products and food....she can however order certain things online which is what she does where permitted...ps i now fancy a bowl of brains faggots with mushy peas and gravy:grinning:the home made ones at the black country living museum are nice as well

lyn

Lyn while at school at St Peter's off Broad St in the 50's , I'd seen fresh faggots in our house , I couldn't stand the sight of them . Anyway as I used to come home for dinners I was merrily chomping away on what I'd been told was minced sausage meat thoroughly enjoyable , after clearing the plate of veg plus the meat . I was informed that if I could eat mashed faggots I could eat them in their original form . From that day to this I've loved them , I've also had pig's trotters in Ireland without any trickery being employed , sticky but very yummy

oh gosh john pig trotters was always another of dads favourites and mine too...i can still see and smell them now slowly simmering away in a large saucepan..as you say very sticky but so tasty...never did us any harm in fact there was probably very little food back then that did:)

lyn

Has anyone heard of a ‘bony pie’?

An old lady I knew, who made amazing homemade faggots told me about bony pie. She said it was just pork bones and a pig’s tail on a tin plate with salt pepper, a spot of water and covered with pastry then baked in an oven.

Brains faggots, one of the most popular brands are made by Kerrys Foods in BIRMINGHAM.

Not the same as they were; they were a good meal but are now cheap and nasty with only an 11% meat content :( A local butcher makes his own and they are fantastic :)

Lovely grub Thompsons on Lichfield used to sell them it minced offal and bread crumbs covered with a layer of fry a fatty membrane .

I remember The Black Country night out Faggots and Pays the comedian was Dollie Allen and elderly lady used to wear a large hat with a big feather she never cracked her face through out her performance.

A lot of the people in the audience didn't understand what she was saying and waited for sections laughing.

I remember a friend didn't know what a whale was of cause it was a wheel, Dollie was a class act will always be remember.
her
Some of the others act end up on Radio Birmingham at lunch Tommy Mundy was one.

oh gosh john pig trotters was always another of dads favourites and mine too...i can still see and smell them now slowly simmering away in a large saucepan..as you say very sticky but so tasty...never did us any harm in fact there was probably very little food back then that did:)

lyn
Yes, I ate them when i was a kid too , I loved them even though they were pigs feet , they were a sticky delight haha

In the late seventies , the good lady and I went on a Black Country Night Out with the firm I was working for in Henrietta St, a thoroughly enjoyable evening what with all the black country comedians and last but not least the faggots and pays the star attraction

Lyn while at school at St Peter's off Broad St in the 50's , I'd seen fresh faggots in our house , I couldn't stand the sight of them . Anyway as I used to come home for dinners I was merrily chomping away on what I'd been told was minced sausage meat thoroughly enjoyable , after clearing the plate of veg plus the meat . I was informed that if I could eat mashed faggots I could eat them in their original form . From that day to this I've loved them , I've also had pig's trotters in Ireland without any trickery being employed , sticky but very yummy

Oh I love faggots chips and mushy peas. I cant get faggots here but my sister sent a recipe for them years ago and I did make them, they didnt quite taste the same but tasted good. I must have a look online for another recipe , I have mislaid mine.

Oh I love faggots chips and mushy peas. I cant get faggots here but my sister sent a recipe for them years ago and I did make them, they didnt quite taste the same but tasted good. I must have a look online for another recipe , I have mislaid mine.

What godforsaken place are you living Wendylee where there are no faggots ?

My mum used to send me to the shops oposite the Heathway Pub with a basin and a plate for the lid to buy faggots for tea, carnt remember the shop though but a great treat

The post by Jeannie reminds me that many years ago, when there were lots of small bakeries and bakers shops that baked their own bread, lots of women used to take their roast (meat and potatoes I guess) to the baker and have them put into his oven. The oven would be very hot from baking the bread so the new items would cook nicely. I believe the baker made a small charge for this service. We are talking WW2 and before so memory is sometimes hazy.

What godforsaken place are you living Wendylee where there are no faggots ?

Hi, Williamstreeter, I am living in the back of beyond in Australia, haha, they would never eat something like faggots here , most aussies dont even like offal , who doesnt like offal??
I can buy a whole lambs liver for around one pound sterling, they are just not popular!
Anyway when the weather gets cooler I will have a look again for my recipe for faggots...yummmm

Hi, Williamstreeter, I am living in the back of beyond in Australia, haha, they would never eat something like faggots here , most aussies dont even like offal , who doesnt like offal??
I can buy a whole lambs liver for around one pound sterling, they are just not popular!
Anyway when the weather gets cooler I will have a look again for my recipe for faggots...yummmm

Wendylee thanks for your reply my o'h my I cannot explain that night on The Black Country Night Out talk about mouthwatering unbelievable is an understatement . I have Brains faggots ocassionally , they still taste good but not didn;t capture my taste buds the same . I would have thought what with Crocodile Dundee etc , the Bruce's and Sheila's would have eaten everything down to the last skink

Wendylee thanks for your reply my o'h my I cannot explain that night on The Black Country Night Out talk about mouthwatering unbelievable is an understatement . I have Brains faggots ocassionally , they still taste good but not didn;t capture my taste buds the same . I would have thought what with Crocodile Dundee etc , the Bruce's and Sheila's would have eaten everything down to the last skink

Ha ha, well you can buy kangaroo meat in some supermarkets so obviously someone eats it, but we dont eat it... I rather like them hopping around in the bush and the paddocks.
We went to a festival some years ago where you could try crocodile, my husband tasted it and he said it tasted ok....and I havn't barbecued a skink haha. However most Australians dont eat liver and kidney or other offal. They dont know what they are missing.

My mum used to send me to the shops oposite the Heathway Pub with a basin and a plate for the lid to buy faggots for tea, carnt remember the shop though but a great treat
I asked my husband - he remembers the Heathway Pub but was unsure where you went for the faggots. He seemed more familiar with the shops at the other end of the Heathway as he worked (as a schoolboy) in the Co-op.

My aunt used to tell me she was sent to her Grans to collect the faggots and gravy for tea. It was a short cycle ride away and she used to stop every so often on the way back and have a drink of the lovely gravy. So much so that her Mom used to say - your Gran hasn't sent much gravy today. Not sure if she realised what was happening.

It looks like what was the Heathway pub is now called the kingfisher and the shops were oposite now called “shopping Center, “ on Heath way ,I remember the Co-op shops in Bucklands End Lane , now “ Cost cutter “ not sure if this is the same Co-op as you mentioned ,wow how times change

brxxns fagotts yer,2 for me and 2 for me dog harry. at least once a week.. chips with mine,and gravy on them.

It looks like what was the Heathway pub is now called the kingfisher and the shops were oposite now called “shopping Center, “ on Heath way ,I remember the Co-op shops in Bucklands End Lane , now “ Cost cutter “ not sure if this is the same Co-op as you mentioned ,wow how times change
He was on about the Co-Ops on Shard End Crescent the opposite end of the Heathway from Bucklands End.

As a child I used to enjoy working the mincer as we made faggots. However as she got older my mother worked out a cheat as she no longer wanted to bother with the mincer even if we had progressed to an electric one. She used to mix liver with a packet of sage and onion stuffing just adding extra onions. Not quite the same thing but a trick I have used myself. I had faggots recently in the Red Lion in Warstone Lane in the Jewellery Quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back