• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What Are Faggots?

• Thread starter Thread starter Beryl M
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some one at the start of this topic mentioned Faggots as being a bundle of wood or firewood.

The term "Faggots" was used in Tudor times to refer to firewood.

I read a book a few months ago about Tudor times and when they burned someone at the stake the book said they put "faggots" round the base of the fire, which confused me at first till I discovered it was firewood.

I think this term for firewood is still used in the USA / Canada but not in England.

Many words and terms used in England during Tudor times went over to the USA during that period (Mayflower etc), and are still used in the USA today but stopped being used over here.

For example in Tudor times here in the UK we called the period after summer "Fall" and of course this went over to the "New World" (USA) and is now used over there.

However here in the UK "Fall" gradually went out of fashion and Autumn became more common.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/autumn-vs-fall

Last edited:
I think enough sensible , and some not sensible, things have been said about faggots. I have therefore closed the thread and would remind members that the forum, unlike facebook, is meant as an intelligent forum and not a place for silliness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back