• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never seems to have been a pub. funeral directors for at least part of the building back to 1932, and before them it was a building society

Thanks Lloyd, it does look like a typical pub architecture but it appears to be an undertakers when the original tram photo was taken and maybe earlier.

What if you went in thinking it was a pub and asked for a Carry out !

That reminds me of a tale I heard, on their first visit to Spain two ladies were saying how cheap the clothes were, they selected a few items and took them to the counter where the bemused Spanish lady told them that they were in a dry cleaners, the clothes belonged to customers and the prices were the cleaning prices.

I lived in Erdington at that tine, it certainly was not a pub, it was an undertakers, the opening on the left was were the hearse came out, can't remember their name though

In the Bull Ring a somewhat unusually dressed trader is selling 'English Fresh Cut Flowers'. Serious looking faces in the crowd. No date but looks mid 1930s to me.
Bull Ring_trader.jpg

Last edited:
I think it might be a later date if the car is considered (depends how old it was when the pic was taken of course). The car seems to belong to the flower vendor who I believe is selling daffodils and looks also to be selling bulbs. It is winter or early spring - no foliage on the trees and everyone is well clothed. The vendors garb suggests a Dutchman or maybe a Belgian. There is a Red Cross poster or banner in the grounds of St, Martins which may suggest an appeal. The little girl (or boy with basin style haircut :eek:) might be still alive but would be well into their nineties now.
A lovely pic however.

With regard to the date I've been looking at the telephone boxes in the 'Bull Ring Pics' thread and they had changed by 1947. I'll put a linked pic in that thread to the pic in this thread, someone might know more about the pic. Looking at shoes in the pic I think it is a little girl.

I think she could be the daughter of another stall holder checking out the prices or she is just intrigued by the strangely dressed vendor.

Three young children at the back of 58-60 St Martins Street with buildings in a very bad state and unusual double guttering on the roof.
Crt58Stmartins.jpg
The girl looks warily at the camera, but the boy hides his face. Their shoes look in much better condition than their surroundings.
kids_Crt58_Stmartins.jpg

Last edited:
I found the upstairs annexe rather curious, I guess it was safe - or was it for pigeons? :D
Most rainwater downpipes fail to reach ground level. Was that a way of catching rainwater? Rainwater was always said to be good for hair and great for those without baths.

The two blokes by the barrow have exactly the same expression as my dad used to have when I was about to do something he'd told me not to do. Perhaps she wanted to buy some flowers and they were en route to the pub? Their expressions say 'spend good money on flowers and go without me pint - you must be joking!'

The court shown in the photo would have been the one in red on the map below. the entrance to the court from St Martins St would be just out of the picture on the left.

map c 1889 showing court behind 58-60 st martins st.jpg

A chauffeur waits in Martineau Street and to me looks like he has spotted something he does not like ... it could be something on the car or maybe whatever that is by his boots.
index.php

(only visible if logged in)
from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-street-pics.38737/page-194#post-535941

Last edited:
Roneo Co, Duplicators, shop by the horse and cart.
Get your state of the art Roneograph duplicator.
There were quite a few interesting shops in Martineau St, I notice one shop is displaying a large flag and perhaps a car expert could tell us what make the car is.

Pedrocut, Post #2181 - it looks rather an elegant stance to me. I was going to say it looks like a 'hello sailor' moment, was we say in this house but I'm not sure I'm allowed to say that.

This is obviously an old
A chauffeur waits in Martineau Street and to me looks like he has spotted something he does not like ... it could be something on the car or maybe whatever that is by his boots.
index.php

from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-street-pics.38737/page-194#post-535941

Presumably this is an old picture postcard and it is superb, full of detail and animation, just look at the two old biddies on the left looking in the shop window, widow's weeds? Although the white feathers in the hats would perhaps cast doubt on that, but really this is one of those postcards that show what artists some of the early photographers were.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back