• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

That last one looks upmarket Bernie, with its trees and little square!
Looking at these has made me realise that mom and dads families were quite comfortable, moms parents lived in Sutton and although in a terrace, it was quite big and backed onto fields, whilst dads aunts, who raised him lived in Station Road Stechford, in one of the big houses opposite the police station, never really thought about how everyone else lived, so thanks for all these pics, must look at the census returns and see if any of the families lived in any of these courts and terraces.
Sue

It was Sherbourne Rd Balsall Heath. I don't think there was ever any back courts in Sherbourne Rd Acocks Green.

Just a nice shot of Woodcock Street looking up the alley to the other shot I posted yesterday...from Carl's 'Homes for the People' book again...

Woodcock Street 1930s .jpg

Sue

With regard to Orchard Rd, roads were often named after what they were built upon or even some local feature. If we look at the 1889 map of Orchard rd we can see what looks like the remains of an Orchard where they were later to build Sherbourne Rd School.

Attachments

• Orchard Rd.JPG
    Orchard Rd.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 56
I remember that lovely photo being on the Forum before Aston Lad (#201). My Mom was born in Gothic Terrace, Clifton Road, in 1913 but my family had lived in Court 25 (which was Gothic Terrace) since at least 1881. Although my Mom and grandparents moved from there to Billesley in 1923, there were still members of my family living in Gothic Terrace until 1940. I wonder if any of my family is in that picture - stands a good chance that there might be. Names of my family living in Gothic Terrace were Hanson, Martin and Bellamy.

Judy

Judy....I think that between us we thought that one of the babies may have been related to you, its been such a long time ago when I first posted it.....I think that someone (probably you) was asking about Gothic Terrace, and I knew I had a photo on my computer, and I did have the date at one time, but many years , and a few computers later, I have lost the date somewhere, I have backed them up that many times, I have forgotten where the originals ones have gone

Would've been nice to have the date of that photo Aston Lad. Looks like early 1900's would you say? I do remember us talking about it quite a long time ago. I think your family lived next door to mine if I remember right - were yours the Jenneys?

Judy

No Judy.....I lived about half a mile away ...I think I was doing some family research for some at the time......

hi sylv...its a pleasure and just look how its getting folk talking about their memories from the old days and also posting photos...i love it when we all muck in together...been so taken up with decorating for over a week but hope to add some more pics soon...keep it going folks..

lyn

Back