• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he had picked a quiet morning to go up on the roof to find some lead. He didn't realise he was getting caught in one of the old street pics !

really must put my glasses on more often phil...i did not even notice that man on the roof...

lyn

Last edited:
Old Mohawk

As you say I think the chap on the roof was unauthorised, there might have been very little Health & Safety back then but common sense did prevail and you would not have seen one operative working on a roof on his own. Also if working on a house that fronted the street like in the photo the pavement at least would have been closed off.

Old Mohawk

As you say I think the chap on the roof was unauthorised, there might have been very little Health & Safety back then but common sense did prevail and you would not have seen one operative working on a roof on his own. Also if working on a house that fronted the street like in the photo the pavement at least would have been closed off.

phil just reading your post reminds me of when myself and our kid used to take an old pram around the bomb pecks collecting up any old copper wire...dad would burn off the plastic casing in the back garden let it cool wrap it into balls and when we had a fair amount he would cart it off on his window cleaning barrow to be weighed in at a scrap yard near to lodge road hockley...we loved doing this as dad always made sure we had a cut out of it..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi David ;
thats a dead certain they never heard of it in those days especialy on demo sites and in the period of them houses being built
in those golden years whjen built they used lead for the flashing around chimney pots but in later years they resulted into zinc
to put around the bottom of the chimney stacks and when they started to do the aston express way starting at the old six ways there was tons and tons of lead pipes for the picking it was a tatters paradise aston when we was kids we used to tat the old ledsam street and the surrounding streets
with an old push chair in fact most kids of ladywood done it every week end and after school when the demo started on ladywood
go in and whipp out the cast iron window weights we used to call them winsow bombs and run down to old clarkie yard in ledsam street
the prams was laiden high high and there was fights whom was there first at a empty house dashing up stairs and down and back and front
pram loaded high and a quick struggle to clarkies yard and back we got two bob for four bombs ; 6d each to us and allot more to old man clarkie
whom had his yard scales weighted robbing us kids old clarkie made alot of money from the ladywood demo in those days
my mates and myself never done it they used to unleashed a barge from bellis and morgans sideing and float into his yard at week ends and nick his lead and old bike they seen in his yard as the cannal water way had an inlet into his yard but heeventualy cottoned on and got himself a big dog that stopped him
we attered alled the surrounding streets in ladywood from monument rd right back to broad street we came across the old picture house and the shop afew doors away wich was a guy whom made bombs he was arrested and wen to jail if any body can recll him in the early 19oos
but getting back to the man on the roof he could have been one of old chapmans demo worker they was one of the earlist demo firm in brum
and he was getting his perks before the other member of the crew turn up best wishes Astonian;;

It is indeed a lovely shot. I love the little girl's outfit. I used to attend St. Margaret's Church when it was in Somerset Road
and also had some friends in Enstone Road further up where the Pavilion Cinema used to be. That photo on Google must have been taken early in the morning
or after hours in the summer. Strange there isn't any traffic also. I believe there was a Co-op shop in that block at one time. I would like to know more about that building
with the cupola roof.

The building with the cupola roof, in Google street view, was Tower Cycles when I was a kid. I understand it had been a cycle shop for many years, and as far as I know, is still owned by a descendant of the same family.

I the sixty's, a very kind lade called Mrs Richards ran the shop, we used to go there quite regularly to buy bit for our bikes. She knew where all the old bike parts were stored, and would always be able to find something that would do the job.

Can't see anyone on a roof. Where do you look?
Here he is Rupert
roofman.jpg

I'm surprised how large those houses were looking at the cross-section the partial demolition shows.

when the war ended,i was living in buck street,just off coleshill street,there was a bombed mission in our street,they were in the process of knocking it down,so we decided to get some bonfire wood for the v.e.celebration bonfire we were going to have,i was 10 year old,anyway while the workmen where at dinner we took some wood and hid it in the brewhouse in our yard,anyway the foreman called the police,they came round the yard,found the wood and pinched us,i went to court and was fined 2/6 pence.when we came out of court our mom said to the foreman "you ought to fall off that debrie and break your neck",next day he fell off and broke his leg.when I was 16 I applied for a job on the post-office,i never got it because I had a criminal record,a 10 year old boy stopped from getting a job after being fined half a crown,the good old days.

when the war ended,i was living in buck street,just off coleshill street,there was a bombed mission in our street,they were in the process of knocking it down,so we decided to get some bonfire wood for the v.e.celebration bonfire we were going to have,i was 10 year old,anyway while the workmen where at dinner we took some wood and hid it in the brewhouse in our yard,anyway the foreman called the police,they came round the yard,found the wood and pinched us,i went to court and was fined 2/6 pence.when we came out of court our mom said to the foreman "you ought to fall off that debrie and break your neck",next day he fell off and broke his leg.when I was 16 I applied for a job on the post-office,i never got it because I had a criminal record,a 10 year old boy stopped from getting a job after being fined half a crown,the good old days.

Very interesting, my family were from the same area. If you're interested there's an aerial shot of the area on the Britain from above site and i'm sure you can make out Buck Street in 1947...if you register with the site it allows you to zoom in..
https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw013567?search=birmingham&ref=29

another one here with the Gaiety Coleshill Street bottom left..
https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw041473

It obviously wasn't a good career move to cross your Mom John !

Strikes me the copper could've done with a slap too.

Not the first time I have heard of little boys being outcasts for the rest of their lives john, for some "childish mistake" , I had a lad in the army with me who had been sent to borstal for stealing a bottle of milk first offence, the army or labouring were all that was open to him and thousands like him. paul

Sad, wasn't it? My uncle Fred Dobbins was sent to Borstal for a trivial offence, at a very young age. Later became a prisoner of war, but he was never bitter, bless him.

It's Six ways Erdington c1914 and cyclists had to know how to keep their front wheels out of tram lines.
A front wheel at the wrong angle in a tramline could lead to a nasty fall !
1914c-SixWaysErdington-600-50.jpg

In some areas of the city cyclists had still to be wary of tram lines even up to the 1950's particularly in the districts where trams still ran. Most lines were filled with tar after the trams ceased but there were areas with no regular tram service but lines were still there for movement of trams from one depot to another. Over time I saw many people fall off cycles due to their inability to keep out of the track: sometimes it was not their fault, motor vehicles forced them into the track. Bystanders, those on buses or walking reacted in various ways. To some it was hilarious, to others a cause for concern. Suffice to say for most youngsters, in general, it was always an occasion for hilarity. :biggrin:

My sister Joan sent me a book 'Birmingham back to the fifties'. I am sure many of you have read all the books by Alton and Jo Douglas, lots of good photos and the adds well worth looking at.www.altondouglas.co.uk Maybe someone has mentioned this before or is there a reason for NOT. I wonder? John Crump OldBrit. Parker, Colorado USA

cant see any reason not to mention altons books john...think a lot of us have got them and they are great...ive got over 20 at the last count including back to the 50s and back to the 50s volume 2...wonderful photos and as you say the ads are always worth looking at plus they make great christmas pressies..

lyn

In some areas of the city cyclists had still to be wary of tram lines even up to the 1950's particularly in the districts where trams still ran.
I remember when I was about 10 years old, riding my bike in Perry Barr and the No 6 tram lines got me. I wonder what will be done with the new tram extension in Birmingham city centre ? I suppose they will ban cycles in those streets or maybe no one cycles in central Brum anymore.

cant see any reason not to mention altons books john...think a lot of us have got them and they are great...ive got over 20 at the last count including back to the 50s and back to the 50s volume 2...wonderful photos and as you say the ads are always worth looking at plus they make great christmas pressies..

lyn
I am in agreement Lyn and cannot see any reason for it to be a problem. As you say many of us have the books - I started with the very first though fear it got lost in one of the moves.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister Joan sent me a book 'Birmingham back to the fifties'. I am sure many of you have read all the books by Alton and Jo Douglas, lots of good photos and the adds well worth looking at.www.altondouglas.co.uk Maybe someone has mentioned this before or is there a reason for NOT. I wonder? John Crump OldBrit. Parker, Colorado USA
As Lyn said the Alton books do make nice christmas presents, I was always pleased to receive them over the years. In these days of iPads and laptops it is still nice to hold a book in your hands and I have seen my nephews and nieces looking through them wondering about the funny old black and white world we used to live in !

It's Six ways Erdington c1914 and cyclists had to know how to keep their front wheels out of tram lines.
A front wheel at the wrong angle in a tramline could lead to a nasty fall !
Not just cyclists OM my Dad used to talk about the times he had to go with the tram lines when his motorbike [with the old narrow tyres] got into one.

Alton's Books are very good even if they are not always very well researched, also the Images of England series are very good as well. Though I find that when you have a certain number of books you begin to find a lot of repeated images often with different explanations to precisely what and where they are.

Luckily I have seven grandchildren and six great grandchildren at the last count, and they all buy me books for birthdays and Christmas. So now that I have stopped lending them out (and not getting them returned) I am gathering quite a collection.

In reply to this post by Old Mohawk and I'm sorry but I did laugh -now thinking of the late Frankie Howard who used to say "Oh! no, missus, don't mock the afflicted". :friendly_wink:
I now remember reading that tram lines are in Birmingham again: I wonder if there are many cyclist up there? There has always been a lot of traffic in cities but since the last BCT trams of the 1950's road traffic and the size and speeds encountered have increased tremendously. I do not think that I would cycle there today.

In Edinburgh, cyclists are learning all about trams lines - mention of rubber plugs in the grooves etc - accidents waiting to happen !
Here is a link to watch someone fall off - don't laugh ! https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/cyclists-condemn-dangerous-edinburgh-tram-lines-1-3147144

The cyclists are allowed on the pavements now Alan.
Mom got stuck in tramlines, Dad used to love telling us the tale!! They used to cycle together a great deal.
rosie.

hi brumgum,I have seen a couple of photos of buck st,half way down on the right hand side was an Italian family called,the i'ommies.I went to school with joey who I believe is either dad or granddad of the i'ommie from black sabbeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back