• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting "Topsy", the last Christmas I had in Brum, 1963, thought it was great. Have a "good un", and best wishs for 2014. Paul

In this forum pic it seems that fur coats, leather coats, and fur collars were required dress when shopping in Moseley. It's a grocery store so why have those brushes hanging from the front of the counter ?

Looks like a classy shop. I bet the smell was wonderful in there. The hand brushes are a mystery, maybe a passing nod to diversification. Love the brown paper carrier bags (with string handles?). I always thought it was special if you were given a carrier bag. But the fur coat, well that seems a bit excessive, just to pick up a quarter of tea. Viv.

Maybe they were from those houses on Park Hill Rd., Actually it looks like the male clerks were writing down the purchase in order books for delivery later.

Looking at the photo, someone in that shop liked stacking tins and jars, but I would be worried about that jar in the top right corner - an amazing shop, wonder if it survived WW2 ?

In this forum pic it seems that fur coats, leather coats, and fur collars were required dress when shopping in Moseley. It's a grocery store so why have those brushes hanging from the front of the counter ?
They are probably one's relations don't ye know! Maybe she is asking for fork 'andles? Grandad would say fur coat and no knickers!

Or maybe she is sitting quite close to those brushes and feather dusters, just to see what might tickle her fancy?

What a sophisticated way to shop, sit on stool, and dictate shopping list for the men to run round and service. Oh happy days. Saves all that trudging round Tesco's. paul

That's why I use Tesco internet shopping. Would cost me more in petrol and the driver brings it in to my kitchen and puts it on the table. Go Tesco!!!!

I would rather touch it feel it and smell it before I buy it. And then I often put it back on the shelf. But I can understand why some people do,. I liked watching the woman in the Co-Op ad the bill up with her pencil and the supervior with a huge bunch of keys hung rounf her waist like the jailor of Pentonville.

That's why I use Tesco internet shopping. Would cost me more in petrol and the driver brings it in to my kitchen and puts it on the table. Go Tesco!!!!
Hi Anne - Looking at the photo of their delivery vehicles in this link https://sarah-gathernomoss.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/shufflebothams-stores.html
they made home deliveries but perhaps you had to order by telephone or by postcard !
They had a slightly less grand shop in Erdington, its on the forum in post #876 I wondered whether they had survived WW2 but the notice below shows that they may not have got further than 1933 and maybe they were more interested in style rather than business.
Notice.jpg

Last edited:
The photo of Shufflebotham's Erdington store shows it to be an agent for W & A Gilbey who started out as gin distillers in the 1850s. Gilbey's was also a major importer of South African wines. Half the shop window display in the Erdington store seems to be for wines and spirits. So Shufflebotham's - obviously very successful and innovative stores in their time - might have handled many imported goods and provisions. But I expect their goods were generally more expensive too. I wonder if the closure in 1933 was perhaps due to more challenging overseas trading and the 1930s recession. Viv.

Shufflebotham must have carried on then (alone or with a new partner) when the partnership was dissolved between him and Hands in 1933. Thanks Nick. Viv.

Three ladies outside the Market Hall ruins. You do wonder what they were discussing. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1388399451.817440.jpg

Yes Nick. And because of that, they're feeling gutted that the stall that sold them the identical coats has gone and they now won't be able to deliver their promise to get their other friends one!

I like the sweep of the steps up to the Market Hall entrance. It also looks like the stalls are still inside the Hall. But their days were obviously numbered by this time as it looks like there are keep out type barriers being erected. Viv.

Zooming in on the photo it looks like there are a couple of people inside the Hall. Maybe this entrance was blocked off and you entered via Worcester Street? I went to the Hall when I was very young mid-1950s, but don't remember climbing any steps up to it. But that might just be because we used the other entrance. Viv.

I couldn't resist joining in the Sufflebotham thread. The date of 1930 is probably quite close for the interior and the exterior shot with the vans & the "dolls house" trailer, especially as they seem to have got into trouble by 1933. The next photo is taken some time after 1995 as the estate agent's board has got an 01 phone number. So Shufflebothams premises had become an off licence. I used to go there during the 1970s to get a bottle of wine on my way to The Jade Chinese restaurant on St Marys Row which wasn't licenced (anyone remember The Jade?). In the 70s the shop still had the magnificent curved window on the corner left over from Shufflebotham's days. The off licence changed hands and had closed down by 2012 (next photo). This year it became a coffee shop - HURRAH said the temperance movement!!!!!

Shufflebothams Moseley 1j.jpgShufflebothams Moseley 2j.jpgShufflebothams Moseley 3j.jpgShufflebothams Moseley 4j.jpg

It's post WW1 1920s in Arthur Street, maybe they have no toys but they find an old chair to play with !
img604.jpg

Last edited:
A well remembered contributor once said 'worst conditions anywhere' about this photo and it could have been taken later....sad to say. Imagine having to let your kids or grandchildren play in such god awful conditions now. WW1 was one thing but this situation was quite another.

I remember many of my cousins living and playing in similar conditions 40-50 years later but they have all made a success of their lives. Anne

I think the one in the middle is holding the other two apart because the one on the left looks rather annoyed. I like the 'Norah Batty' hats.
Never mind the women, what a wonderful picture. I have not seen it before. My Grandfather ran the fish stall at the Worcester Street end of the Market hall. It is shown here to the left of the steps. He worked for E. MARSHALL & Sons of Jamaica Row. Ted Marshall was succeeded by his Son Robert (Bob). I remember him, my Grand Dad, taking me to work and weighing me on the big fish scales. Great picture, brought back lots of memories. J.

Hi John -Interesting to read your personal memories about that stall on the left of the steps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back