• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Ring O' Bells

O

O.C.

The Ring O' Bells Yardley which was rebuilt in 1939 photo taken about 1950

Attachments

• Yardley Ring O Bells.JPG
    Yardley Ring O Bells.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 40
Well Mariew it aint yet 70 years old.....here is the original Ring O' Bells

Attachments

• Yardley Ring o Bells Original.jpg
    Yardley Ring o Bells Original.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 20
What a lot of memories that old picture would hold for my family. My grandmother bless her, lived in Garrison Lane. She told me years ago, how she used to walk to the Ring a Bells and how it was all countryside. Ofcourse that would have been at the turn of the 1900's
Lynda

I used to live not far from here. The name comes from the ring of bells inside St Edburghas Church up the road.

Mr Roberts who was the Landlord in the late 40's -50's use to be a trained church minister who had preached for 7 years before he decided to run a pub and get closer to real spirits and it became quite a tradition for the vicar of Yardley to arrange carol singing with a church service on Christmas Eve, in the lounge of the pub. The old Yardley church bells were replaced in the 50's and the Lord Mayor of Brum rang the first peal on the new bells, the churchwarden always held their annual dinner at the pub and like a lot of traditional pub dinners had their photo's taken with the 18 inch long white clay pipes

The ringo bells is all boarded up now and I think they are planing to build flats or apartment there, another pub bites the dust.

I found another photo of the original Ring O Bells.

Attachments

• Yardley Church Rd Ring o Bells 1937.JPG
    Yardley Church Rd Ring o Bells 1937.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 28
another public house bites the dust.pity it cannot be put to good use.like a working mens club.probably end up vanderlised .burnt down and becoming a supermarket or something else.which is not needed.
it would make an ideal care home.if they still build them.:cry:

ring o' bells

i did,nt live a million miles from there, did a lot of courting in the Church yard at Yardley old church and queens park,
and had a few brown and milds in ring o' bells.
surely there,s a preservation order on a place like that
or don,t pubs count?
i know theres a few in a state whats this world coming to? :(

Capturing the past

It's good of you to capture the past Marie:)but is'nt it a shame and the building still looks in good shape..:)Cat

Derek I don't think there is a preservation order on it, and catkin it is a lovely big building, I cannot understand why they are building so many appartments everywhere?

anyone else hear about the fire at the ring o bells last night? (29th April 2008) I'll see if i can get some pics so you can see the damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well lads and lasses this pub is likely to be no more!

Last night Tuesday 29th April, some delightful individuals started a fire in the cellar.

The pubs been closed for a month due to the managers failing to make a go of it.

There have been rumours too of a development company being interested in the 'space' prior to the closure.

Landmark pub hit by arsonists

S_V

I just read it too, and your right postie everytime a pub is boarded up a mystery fire follows. I also heard something about appartments.

You're absolutely right Postie, another convenient fire. Any vacancies at 'Firestarters R Us' do you think? There may be a good living in it!

The Ring of Bells, circa 1937, next door neighbours the Carmelite Convent, now private appartments
2008, The Talbot pub circa 1910, now a private house 2008.

Attachments

• Carmelite Convent.jpg
    Carmelite Convent.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 16
  • The Talbot.jpg
    The Talbot.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Great photo's Lencops, I like the one of the Talbot Inn, I drove past there yesterday, it's such a shame all of the pubs are closing, but everything has to change I suppose, it's like all of the cinemas closed, but now they are popular again they have had to build more, but it is a shame about the ring o bells it was such a grand looking pub, my parents used there when I was a child.

My mate and i went in there one Christmas Eve in the 1950`s, it was about as bright and cheerful as Dracula`s Castle, we did`nt ask for a drink in case they wanted to drink our blood :shocked::rolleyes::stressed: He,He,He, Arrggee!.

Nice pub, very disappointing to see it go.

Still, we need more flats round here. :redface:

I won a quiz in there one time I remember, it went to tiebraker . If you're interested, the shell of on egg is about 13 per cent. :cool:

They have just built flats at the yew tree next to the post office, so why do they need more?

Rung its last Bell :( its now been set Fire too ,,,,
no further comment,,just try to remember when it was a lovely place,:)JY

Thank you for posting the photo's steifmeister, it is such a shame a lovely big building gone.

What a coincidence another fire on premises that the developers have their eye on to build yet more flats or housing. I have lost count of the number of pubs, shops and factories that have had "mysterious" fires. I reckon they are deliberately left insecure so that vandals have easy access, and the owners can't be blamed for any arson attacks.

Back