• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Ring O' Bells

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
perhaps the security company employed to look after these premises won't be charging for the so so-called security .along with their patrol dogs.or perhaps the fire service could send the bill to the security company.;):cool:

"Sorry about the fire at your shop last night Joe",: "Shush Fred its not till tonight!".

There is a theory that these buildings are delibretley burnt because they contain asbestos in thier construction wich is exspensive to remove. once the asbestos has been exspoed by fire then the fire brigade have to dispose of it thus making demolition much cheaper.

Cheers Frothblower, great username, I take it that you like a tipple or two? lol

At the rate the pubs are closing there won't be any left, just the big dining pubs.

So true. It's the way they knock them down see quick:redface:
If the buildings kept standing and used for something else, it wouldn't be so bad. At least we could see our history and heritage.

Yes many local pubs are closing and being lost via 'fire'. Many of the residents (me included) had complained to the police about yobs had been messing about, they never once had they followed up.

I think its really sad that so many of our pubs are being lost, no dis-respect but some of the new ones are wine bars and doing really have the personality and atmosphere that the older places had?

You're absolutely right Postie, another convenient fire. Any vacancies at 'Firestarters R Us' do you think? There may be a good living in it!

We get them here in Wolverhampton too,Charlie. Usually they happen to listed buildings where co-incidentally a next-door development is taking place and the extra land would come in useful. Allegedly.:angry2:

Hi do the Ring o Bells still have a football team.
I played for the Rest and Be Thankful in the mid 60's -70's. and i can remember some epic battles with the Ring o Bells.

Mike. Ex Kingstanding, now Sydney Australia.

hi mike2167 did you not read the whole thread?
or are you at a different ring o bells,
this one is in Yardley area of Birmingham
it was all but destroyed by fire not so long ago,
and before that was closed down and up for demolition
me thinks.
Mariew lives not far away, and i believe she passes often,
if it,s the same ring o bells she maybe will be able to update.
i would,nt think they still have a team??
regards dereklcg.

came past the ring o bells today looks a sorry sight boarded up and the roof gone in a fire

HI Ann,we have been getting progress reports on the ring o bells sad really, was a grt pub,
in our youth happy days mariew has been keeping us up too date she lives just down the road. regards Derek

I spent a lot of Friday nights at the "Ringers". Sam and Jean used to run it. It was always packed, both the lounge and the assembly room next door. I remember when they first started serving food - chicken in the basket!

I understand that the owners were trying to get planning permission to demolish so they could build houses, but it was refused. Don't know if that's true.

The Yardley Arms, not far away from the Ring-o-Bells. Len.

Attachments

• Stechford Yardley Fields Rd The Yardley Arms.jpg
    Stechford Yardley Fields Rd The Yardley Arms.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 9
My wedding reception (1964) was held at the RingO'Bells, it makes me sad to see it in flames.

The lounge bar on the right-hand side of the pub was used every Thursday evening during the late '60s as the "clubhouse" of Yardley Church Rugby Football Club. Many a brown 'n mild has broken the tactical talk of the team captain. Sad end to a memorable pub. db84124

Last edited:
Hi db84124. Is that your car covered in snow and is that recent. Just curious, I thought we were the ones freezing our 'you know what's off'

Yes, nishja, it is my car.
But it isn't a recent shot. The photograph was taken on the 2nd January, 2006 at Zakopane, in the extreme south of Poland during a climbing holiday. The climbing was ruined by the quantity of snow which fell making any attempt at summiting suicidal. We ate and drank and drank and drank for 10 days.
Here's a photo of a highly risky (and therefore foolish!), half-hearted approach "walk" on freshly-fallen unstable snow. David:(

Last edited:
Having replied to nishja’s enquiry – but rudely not having welcomed her to the world’s best forum, “Welcome nishja” – could I apologise for my digression and get the thread back on track by adding that, out of loyalty to my old, much-frequented-in-the-past public house, I dropped into the Ring o’ Bells for a beer or three on New Year’s Eve 2008. I was taken aback by the striking decline in the upkeep of the building and the general atmosphere of the place. The landlord had attempted to brighten up the public bar (the only room open!) with shabby streamers and dog-eared decorations but the spontaneity of his thirty-or-so customers was miserably lacking. Although dressed in their party frocks and smart trousers, I'm sorry to say many revellers were as sombre as their drab surroundings.
In a nutshell, two years ago the writing was already very much on the wall. Sadly, db84124:(

Thanks db84124, sorry I hijacked the thread didn't mean to. I just joined and need to get used to the how-to and why-4's

I've just been reading this thread with great interest because I had my wedding reception at the Ring o' Bells in 1968. How sad that it's gone.

Reading that it got its name from the sound of the bells at St Edburghas set me thinking, because I've just discovered that my ancestors were bell founders who cast the bells for many churches in Brum.

Did a bit of googling, and, lo and behold! The 5th bell was cast by my ancestor William Bagley in 1691. Who'd have thought it eh? If only I'd known that in 1968.

It was always so nice around that way, my landlord has a house by there which he offered to me, but i am happy where i am. I guess you may live around that way Dwilly ? What are you hoping will become of the site ? Three story planing outlined so at least it doesn't look like being another drive through " Big Johns " or Mc Donalds . Max

I lived over the road from the Ring & bells in 1973 & 1974 , it wasan`t my local but i did
enjoy my visit when my work allowed me too , my drink was brown & Mild in a handled
glass those brilliant memories back then was mine and only mine .............. whats happened since,
bulldoze it , let the tinkers take over it i dont care anymore .......... u dig ??
ragga :)

I lived over the road from the Ring & bells in 1973 & 1974 , it wasan`t my local but i did
enjoy my visit when my work allowed me too , my drink was brown & Mild in a handled
glass those brilliant memories back then was mine and only mine .............. whats happened since,
bulldoze it , let the tinkers take over it i dont care anymore .......... u dig ??
ragga :)

Thats sad really. But thats your opinion and i respect it. Max

Back