• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Ring O' Bells

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
well at least the housing plan will tidy it up, I live in Acocks Green but used to live by the Yew Tree so have used it in the past, has many memories, its a shame so many pubs are going the way the Ringers has but its a sign of the times I guess

Is that the same application that got turned down last year? Looks identical from what i remember....

Due to the Government relaxing planning laws to help the building industry, they may feel it's got a better chance now.
...or..... It's been an eyesore so long, it's better to have this than nothing.... ;)

I used to work at the Ring 'o bells. Finished there in 1990 and moved away. Didin't work there long but i liked it there, nice customers.
It's sad to see it in such a mess.

Tina

I dont know the pub but it looks like it used to be a really nice place. Feel sorry for the residents close to it. I would have thought it was a safety or health issue and a magnet for kids - the fence surrounding it is not that secure. I guess the council cannot do anything about it for some reason, (maybe cost ?) You could build 2-3 nice houses there, or maybe even a local shop.

Be great to hear some old-time stories from the locals.

I had a mate who lived in Queens Rd in the 70's and we would occasionally have a drink in the Ring o Bells, I always found it to be a very quiet and depressing place. I don't know what it was like prior the the fire, but I don't suppose the locals miss it much.

Attachments

• Yardley Ring O Bells after Fire.jpg
    Yardley Ring O Bells after Fire.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Yardley Ring O Bells.JPG
    Yardley Ring O Bells.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 45
Does anyone remember Sam and Jean Landlord and Landlady of the Ringers. Not sure when they retired but they went to live in one of the flats in Sheldon Heath Road near the Radleys.

Dranks some pints in that one in the 50s,Just up the street from my home on Moat Lane, Happy days, John Crump OldBrit, Parker,Co USA

I never got to this particular pub, but from the original photo, to to-days wreck, makes me very sad, thinking of all the laughter and fun in days gone bye, I feel about old deserted barracks in the same way!!
paul

Maybe a Tesco like up Church Road. Over in the states they build a Walmart where ever they can. John Crump Oldbrit.Parker, Co USA

In the mid 70s I worked in Waterloo Road, and quite often Ray would pick me up at lunch times and we would have lunch there, it was always very busy and good value, however in later years we popped in for a drink and we were the only customers, so sad.

I spent a lot of Friday nights at the "Ringers". Sam and Jean used to run it. It was always packed, both the lounge and the assembly room next door. I remember when they first started serving food - chicken in the basket!

I understand that the owners were trying to get planning permission to demolish so they could build houses, but it was refused. Don't know if that's true.

Hi mate could you tell us more about sam and jean. I'm sorry to tell you that my great nan jean passed away on 2006 and my great grandad sam who I am named after has just passed away anyways I'm looking for any stories about them running the pub

Would be much appreciated if you would would make a lovely send off for my family to see thanks sam

Last edited:
My wedding reception (1964) was held at the RingO'Bells, it makes me sad to see it in flames.
Hi was my great nan and grandad running the pub at the time of your wedding

My greatnan passed away in 2006 and my great grandad has just passed away this month I'm looking for stories about the ring o bells for his send off thanks sam

Last edited:
Hi guys looking for pictures or stories of the ring of bells pub when sam and jean was running it?

So the reason I need these is that jean (my greatnan) she passed away in 2006

And my great granddad sam has passed away this month I'm looking for stories good times you guys had at the pub they use to run as it would be a lovely send off for them both

Thanks for the replies from his great grandson Sam For the passed 18 years I've allways gone and seen both me nan and grandad and would love to give them both the send of they deserve IMG_1220.JPG

Last edited:
Played many gigs at ROB in the mid-1950s Upstairs. Great fun packed them in for dancing those days HUH EDDIE MATE!!

Attachments

• Ted Haynes me and the band 001.jpg
    Ted Haynes me and the band 001.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 11
Remember Sam and Jean well fine as long as you behaved. Anyone rememer the Wednesday night Disco when you could not get up and dance . Music supplied by George McGill 1970s happy days.

Back