• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Ridgeway Erdington

Hi Alf: Lovely at the Capilano Suspension Bridge this Spring. I have only crossed it twice. Well, four times counting coming back across.
Weird feeling.

Hi Miriam:My friend named Pat who lived in Capilano Road, Erdington wasn't Pat Gross unfortunately. I can't remember her last name off hand but thanks for asking. Great that you meet up with your friend Pat every year.

I have some photos of Capilano Rd / Dovedale Rd showing the new buildings if anyone is interested.

I lived in Capilano Rd, Dovedale Rd of old has being rebuilt and still rebuilding. The junction of Capilano Rd and Dovedale Rd is beyond recognition now.
when did you used to live there?
we lived at 251 Dovedale, which was quite near the Capilano road, from 1969, till mom was moved out in about 1998 [before they knocked them down]

I can't say I've ever been in that shop, though I passed it twice a day for 16 years, often looking at it from upstairs on the bus while at the stop there. Nor do I remember anything about an accident to the proprietors, but if it happened in 1960 rather than 1950, I wouldn't, because I left in March 1959.
I've done a bit of searching for you - the address is not Ridgeway but 270 Brookvale Road, and I found out the following in the directories to which I have access at home.
1933 - no number, but the Birmingham Co-operative Society ran a confectioner's shop. I guess this might have been a temporary place while the whole area was being built.
1936 - Mrs Catherine Trueman, confectioner
1939, 1943, 1943, 1950 and 1956 - William Nelson, confectioner
1963 - H A Bennett, confectioner

Peter

I lived in Brookvale Road from 1948 until a few years ago. My mother always referred to the shop as Trueman's, and it must have been known as that in at least the 50's, and maybe most of the 60's.

All the best Peter

does anyone remember a family called heath.....
cos im sure my uncle whos name was roy lived there,or around that area...his wife was called paula or pauline..there kids were roy and paula..
altho my uncle had grown up kids to.x

My Uncle and Aunt lived on The Ridgeway opposite Witton Cemetery, their name was Timmins and their daughter Jackie worked at R M Douglas. Another aunt and uncle lived just off Gypsy Lane, their surname was Allen.

My friend Margaret Stroud lived in Yerbury Grove. We went to Marsh Hill Juniors from reception class up. I spent so many hours around the Ridgeway and later on always caught the bus at the Brookvale-Marsh Hill end. Do you remember the sweet shop on the corner along from the 5a bus stop. In the late l950s the family who ran the shop were all killed in a dreadful accident in their car when they were going away on holiday. Very sad.
When I worked at R.M. Douglas in George Road one of the girls in the office lived in Capilano Road. We never knew the origin of that name but here in Vancouver there is a scary rope and plank bridge which is a tourist attraction
as it crosses Capilano Canyon.
A couple of the lads at our school came from Capilano Road.

I wonder who on the Birmingham Council Housing Committee got the name and knew the meaning.

This is all I can find

https://srmwww.gov.bc.ca/bcgn-bin/bcg10?name=11149

:)
Hello new to the forum but fascinated by reading all this.
As to Capilano Road and the origins of the name I was raised in Abingdon Road just around the corner and the have been curious as to the names (Abingdon: Buxton: Wendover: Hastings)> at first I thought Battles maybe? But couldn't find any correlation but the one thing that does tie the names together is ships.
Capilano - Capilano was a steamship built in 1920 in British Columbia.
Abingdon- HMS Abingdon was a Hunt-class minesweeper 1917
Wendover - Sunk 16 Jul 1940 British cargo Wendover
Hastings - HMS Hastings was a 74-gun third rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy 1819
I'm not saying I'm correct on this but it's the only link I can find, hope someone can elaborate.

Good morning Abingdon and welcome to Birmingham History forum. Birmingham Road names fascinate me too, I often wonder what the origins of the names are.

Growing up in Short Heath I am quite familiar with these local street names. It seems that a lot of them, in particular those on the large social house’s estates built between the wars were names after places in the UK.

I enjoy travelling in the UK and often come across small villages with these familiar road names.

Pretty well all the roads in Kingstanding are named after London boroughs.

My grandparents lived in Perry Common, Farley Road off the Ridgeway.

Good morning Abingdon and welcome to Birmingham History forum. Birmingham Road names fascinate me too, I often wonder what the origins of the names are.

Growing up in Short Heath I am quite familiar with these local street names. It seems that a lot of them, in particular those on the large social house’s estates built between the wars were names after places in the UK.

I enjoy travelling in the UK and often come across small villages with these familiar road names.
Thanks Morturn.
With regards to street names after places, I had thought that was a possibility (Dovedale - Peak District; Wendover - Chilterns etc) but Capilano road appeared to be the square peg so to speak hence the ship thread.
Many thanks for the reply.

The Ridgeway

I lived in the Ridgeway but cannot think of anyone by that name and i can remember quite a few.:cool: Maybe Alf will.

You should have come to our house my brother would have taught you how to light a fire with matches:D:D:D...Cat
Do you remember the Worthingtons John and Doris, they had two daughters Freda and Joyce. Freda was my mum. I used to visit my Nan and grandad John and Doris every Sunday ....they lived at the top end of Ridgeway just next to the bus stop before the island before it became Warren road.

Re. Capilano. Chief Joe Capilano was from British Columbia. Spoke in the Chinook language of Indians (“red indians” quoted in the Birmingham Mail newspaper of 14/8/1906) of British Columbia when he visited the Queen. Any connection ? Viv.

Back