• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Temporary churches, prefabricated churches, tin tabernacles, iron churches, iron chapels

Agree Lyn and I am not sure but I don't think it is the one listed as on Victoria Road as a "tin tabernacle" although that firm did build both iron and wooden structures.

bit of a mystery to solve then jan the road or street on the right of vivs photo looks short as you can see facing houses...could be anywhere in handsworth

lyn

I'm not sure it is the right chapel. 1912 map. Isn't it the "wrong" way on at the corner of the road? comparing photo with map that is.
View attachment 193474

view from victoria road looking down louise road...it definately fits your map jan and clearly a newish build so i think vivs church is still one to solve

could this be a rebuild of vivs church corner of chapel and watt st...think the foot print is the same now called soho community hall..chapel st now redeveloped

Last edited:
maybe not ..i thought we had a thread for chapel and watt st so grabbed this 1956 map off it...looking at the corner i dont think so but maybe we could do with an older map just to make certain but also noticed on the map there is a church in chapel st already

map  1956 Watt st, showing no 50.jpg

i was just wondering if the handsworth historical society could help us locate the church so i have emailed them the photo..you never know they may have it but giving its location

lyn

Last edited:
had this reply from pauletter from handsworth historical society..i did send her the 1950s map and said that the 1913 map had the same foot print so the church cant have been there...fingers crossed paulette or her members can help us solve this one
Hello Linda,

Well this is a new one on me, but I'll circulate it to our members in case anyone can recognise where it is/was, and will also check the 1913 OS map for churches on corners! It's a pity the definition isn't good enough to read the posters and get a possible clue.

Best wishes
Paulette

had this reply from paulette from handsworth historical society..i did send her the 1950s map and said that the 1913 map had the same foot print so the church cant have been there...fingers crossed paulette or her members can help us solve this one

Hello Linda,

Well this is a new one on me, but I'll circulate it to our members in case anyone can recognise where it is/was, and will also check the 1913 OS map for churches on corners! It's a pity the definition isn't good enough to read the posters and get a possible clue.

Best wishes
Paulette

Last edited:
thanks john but i would say not on that one... think the foot print all wrong... if you look at the photo just a few yards up on the right are facing houses with what looks like large houses next to our church ...just my thoughts at the min...need to research a bit more..not even sure if that is a road or st to the right as it looks very short so maybe a terrace/cul de sac

image (18).jpg

This one appears to show a larger house to the right of the church but footprint is not a good match.

EDIT: Appears on both Kelly's of 1908 and 1912 so doubtful if this is the one.

Attachments

• possibly-the-handsworth-church-from-1910a.jpg
    possibly-the-handsworth-church-from-1910a.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back