• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Temporary churches, prefabricated churches, tin tabernacles, iron churches, iron chapels

It is the one I posted in posts 82, 83 and 84. The tin one from the newspaper article only lasted a few years. Then it was replaced on the land fronting the High Street by the building in Viv's post.
Newspaper article refers to "a site, in front, in High Street ...... for a permanent structure"

I am confused.
The tin hut was in Newman Street and the Methodist Church was built next to it fronting the High Street. According to the newspaper article.

New Street is further up towards The Green, and on the other side of High Street. I wondered if this was Primitive Methodist replacement church for the temporary structure on Newman Road. I'm guessing, but it does seem odd that a Primitive Methodist Chapel should aappear just a matter of yards up the road.

Also wondered if Newman Road is sometimes confused with New Street. Doing a lot of 'wondering' here !

Last edited:
The map I posted clearly says Newman as does the newspaper article. The map shows the Methodist Chapel on the corner of Newman Street.

Last edited:
Just gathering a few more snippets of information.

The New Street (Erdington) premises were used by the Brethren according to British History Online. Not the clearest of descriptions. Not sure if it means they occupied the New Street premises from when built in 1897 or 1957. If the Brethren occupied it since 1897, it conflicts with the My Primitive Methodists description in post #88

New Street, Erdington gospel hall was registered for public worship in 1897, and was open in 1957. A Brethren's meeting existed at Erdington in 1892, for which a Sunday evening congregation of 91 was claime

Last edited:
Again for reference.

Views posted by other nembers of the Methodist Church on High Street/Newman Road. This must be before they moved to Westley Road, corner with Station Road.

Pity this photo didn't pan a little more to the left to show more of Newman Road.

Screenshot_20240801_100515_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240801_100555_Samsung Internet.jpg

A modern day view of the site from Streetview.
Screenshot_20240801_100709_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to compare maps.
1902 New Street shows a chapel already in existence.

In 1902 Newman Street did not exist and the site appears to just be a field - so no houses likely to be visible in the picture. I assume the area marked in yellow is the land purchased for the chapel.
1902 map newman street.JPG
according to the newspaper article in post #
clip from paper 1910.JPG
That seems to tie in with the 1913 map - I wondered if the building ringed in blue was our photo? Shows the New Church on the High Street.
1913 25 inch Newman street erdington.JPG

New Street in 1887 shows a building possibly the New Street Chapel
1887 map new street.JPG

A 1902 map of New Street shows that chapel still there.
1902 map new street.JPG

Why there were 2 chapels is hard to say but there seem to have been. The New Street one being the original (marked on 1887 map) and the Newman Street being later.

Last edited:
In Kelly's of 1913 the High street Church is listed under Methodist Churches (no reference to Primitive).
1913 Kelly's.JPG

By then New street only seems to have this entry
1913 Kelly's new st.JPG

So it seems the High Street/Newman Street buildings replaced the New Street one. Or from Viv's post #98 did they just become the Christian Brethren and the Primitive Methodists needed somewhere new?

Last edited:
The High Street Church built to replace the temporary one definitely opened as a Primitive Methodist Church.
The ad from 1912
Erdington News - Saturday 30 November 1912.JPG

I am wondering if they wanted a larger building than the New Street one. So purchased the land and put the temporary building up in Newman Street so they could sell off the other building to raise funds towards building the High Street Church on the same piece of land.
Not sure about this in view of the Christina Brethren link.

Last edited:
Confirmation, the Brethren were using the New Street (Erd) Gospel Hall in 1886. (New Street at the time was regarded as a cul-de-sac of High Street).

To confirm Janice's suggestion in post #100, the satellite view iooks to fit the footprint of the 1887 map, possibly with later extension(s).

Screenshot_20240801_142134_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240801_141347_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Found this on My Primitive Methodists. Looks very much like the 'Erdington' building in our image from post #7
And it looks abandoned. If so, could that be the wall of the Methodist Church (High Street/Newman Road Erdington) to the right ?

Screenshot_20240801_190900_Chrome.jpg

Image for comparison
Screenshot_20240801_191230_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
The comment suggests it is the Erdington one in Newman Road.
Pity we can't read the church sign on the right.

Yes Janice.

Some questions that have cropped up during this discussion.

The (Plymouth) Brethren New Street Erdington
An unresolved aspect about this is whether the Primitive Methodists used the chapel/'Gospel Hall' in New Street (Erd) - raised as a possibility by Janice. The My Primituve Methodists site suggests it was a Primitive Methodist building, but:

The newspaper report in 1886 tells us the Brethren opened their 'own' Gospel Hall at New Street (Erd).
Brethren marriages were still taking place there in the 1950s according to newspaper reports.
So, returning to Janice's point, was the building shared at one time ?
If so when was it shared ?
Or is the My Primitive Methodists information incorrect ?

Primitive Methodists/Methodists
The Primitive Methodists had a presence in Erdington prior to the early 1900s. But there are no exact details, but what we do know is that a church was established in 1910 in a corrugated iron structure, now confirmed as on Newman Road. Fundraising was active from this date until 1913 for a new permanent church (the site being next to the Newman Road chapel, and fronting onto High Street). Church services were still being carried out at the new, permanent Methodist Church until at least 1950.

In 1913 the title 'Primitive' was dropped from the name. Was this due to the union of various Methodist branches of the faith ?

Did the Methodists move out of the church soon after the 1950s ? The buildings on the site today look around the 1960s/70s.

When was the Newman Road iron church removed ?

Last edited:
As we've now found the Erdington PM chapel/tin tabernacle, another outstanding question is the road/location of the Handsworth one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240802_070358_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240802_070358_Samsung Internet.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Given the short life of the Erdington one if this is the same it may not appear on maps.
Also are we sure this one is tin? As Viv said earlier it looks, possibly, to be made of wood.

Given the short life of the Erdington one if this is the same it may not appear on maps.
Also are we sure this one is tin? As Viv said earlier it looks, possibly, to be made of wood.

must say i also thought it looked wooden jan..

lyn

Re the Handsworth 'Church'. A couple of questions that I can't quite get my head around:

The postcard annotation gives "Church Handsworth." Wondered why it didn't state which church/denomination as per the Erdington Primitive Methodists photo.

If this is a new church building, it seems odd that the 'Concert' posters are dominant rather than a board prominantly announcing the church name.

Was it a hall for a church in Handsworth ? Could it have been a temporary hall while work went on at the main church (this had happened in the past - see example attached below ? There was a temporary iron church erected opposite St Mary's, Handsworth in 1876 while the main church underwent restoration).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240803_131006_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240803_131006_Chrome.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1
The Erdington one only did because there was a fundraising board in the photo.
I wondered if this was an advertising photo for John Harrison and Co showing what they could build.

Back