• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sweets We Used To Have

• Thread starter Thread starter jake
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there astoness
guess what i have found a supply of our sweet tobacco and the sugar mice ,i have stocked myself up with the sweet tobacco
and as arkrite says down here in worc , it is expensive where i used to pay a penny to old mr whetton on lichfield rd for the swet tobacco its cost,s me 99,p a packet
and its where arkrite said it was in the crown gate centre but i don,t mind
every time we pass the shop back to the car i will say to the old dutchess
i,m just nipping in the shop to get my baccky, chocate of course not those cancer cigs she damms smoke i keep my cubbard full of the coconut and when my grand kids come i have started them on it -its great the mice is for a 3 pack 1,99 p
so i do not buy many of them i go to kiddinminster shop but he does not stock the backie best wishes astonian ;;

hi astonian...i want some...lol....i shall make a note of where in worcs and go get some asap......what colour sugar mice did you get..years ago i remember we used to get them in pink...white...and yellow....

ps..i think mossy said you can buy the sweet tabacco in western but worcs is a bit nearer...

thanks for the tip off....

astoness

Hi all, does anybody remember 'gobstoppers', the one's that used to change colour the longer you sucked them. Thet've probably been banned now,because of the danger of kids choking on them. And do you remember the liquorice root you could buy, it was like a lump of wood. Does anybody remember the coupons you used to have to take to the sweet shop, I remember Spangles being 3d + 1 point, Mal.

hi mal...yes i remember the gob stoppers very well...didnt stop mine much though...lol...think i have already mentioned the liqourise roots...used to love them but recently i tried one again and it was awful....cant understand how i used to like them.....took me two days to get the taste out of my mouth.....

lyn

Hi all, sweets, I remember as a kid, early 40s a shop in longmoor st balsall heath (painted red) that always had home made toffee in the window. In round swirls, it could have been troach but I used to stand in front of the shop window and drool, if only I had some pocket money to buy some, but in those days, no chance. If I remember right the shop seemed always closed. Buy the time I could afford to buy some you could get sweets more easily. Does anyone else remember that shop.
Baz

Spangles...lovely. Something like Spanish wood, you could chew and chew this stuff and it just went stringy and horrible. Gob stoppers, well it's a wonder we didn't choke, they were massive things. A man who ran a shop in our street used to put water into a bottle with a fizzy pill thing and call it pop, at a penny a bottle (take the bottle back, of course) I drank gallons of the stuff.

Maggs

I'm afraid that site is a bit ignorant. It says that Frys Five Boys is sometimes called Fry's five centres, and that was something completely different
Mike

Well spotted Mike I'll send them an e-mail.

I don't know if they had a filling or were just Chocolate

Last edited:
Well perhaps that mistake is mean't to be, after all we can't have 'ism's, Does someone think it's sexist? You never know these days do you, we live in crazy times.

Maggs

Sorry Alf, missed out your query. Five Boys was the Frys equivalent of Dairy Milk. Five centres was a filled bar (shaped like Frys Chocolate creme) with different flavoured pieces in each segment
Mike

Yes. The advert I puton was from about 1905. The usual advert was showing 5 boys with different facial expressions -desperaton, pacification, expectation, acclamation and finally realization (that it's Frys) (see https://www.pimpthatsnack.com/snackabase/fiveboyschocolate/273). The bar was produced till the 1970s, though I think that it was not distributed very widely in later years as Cadbury's were rationalizing their brands and didn't want lots of minor brands "cluttering up the shelves" , so to speak.
mike

It was the Opie book I got the picture from Alf. Awkward to sca though as its a big format book
Mike

My partner could only get the 45g size this morning they have run out at the local shop.
At the price it works out at about £2.50

Original add but the background looked only vaguely like Bournville, and, as even uk Bournville is now made at the Poulain factory in France, I doubt if Indian Bournville is any different, despite what it says in the add.
mike

GetAttachment.aspx

GetAttachment.aspx

My husband is younger than me and we were talking of our childhoods and I told him that I loved Licquorice wood when I was a child, he had never heard of it.
I still love licquorice and he often brings in licquorice sweets for me.
Yesterday he came in with a stick of licquorice wood,he had visited a chemist and they had it on sale.Was it always such a terrible taste?LOL.

Alberta I don't know why I chewed it as I didn't like the taste either but all my friends used to chew it so maybe it was an in thing at the time. I couldn't face it now but Pete said he would give it a go if I could get some. He loves his allsorts still and I buy him a box now and again. I can't eat them either. Jean.

hi all
my favorite sweets of all time were fillerys mint toffee's, cannot get fillerys but also cannot get any type of mint toffee at all. wrote to bluebird, can you belive they only make mint toffee's for export, my old dad was right the inmates have taken over the asylem.
regards
paul stacey

one of my favorite sweets and still is the soft marshmelos covered in powder
they are all soft and sticky years agoyou would buy them loose
and i got them from mr whetton,s on the lichfield rd aston, bert bassetts
make and now they sell them in large packets in lage bags ,
there is two manufacturure but basstts are the best maker soft and gooey
covered in the powder and in colours the pink one are my favorites
i eat them by the bags full along with a strip of refreshers and polished of by
my favorite chocolate a bar of bournvil dark choclate forget he cadburys milk
the dark chocolate is the best
have a nice day guys and take care out there, be patient, and not a patient. and
drive 4o miles limit .
best wishes astonian ;;;;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back