• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

shame on me max....ive had this pic somewhere in my files for 2 years and havnt posted it....its one the the most famous pics of the lane and appears in many books....thanks for posting it and as charlie said can you enlarge it please...got to go soon..chaos and mayhem reigns with the rewiring....

max...resize the original to 40 x 40...try that...

lyn

Dont tell me about rewiring Lyn, i have just had my 5th visit to put right the wiring on a brand new boiler that aint worked since the day it was put in 6 weeks ago...... I will see what i can do about pic. I dont have the programme to resize to 40x40 ( whatever that is LOL ) Max

perfect max....ive often thought when i look at this pic that there surely must be rellies of some of our summer lane members. or maybe even members themselves..hopefully one day names will be put to the faces..its a bostin pic...

lyn

perfect max....ive often thought when i look at this pic that there surely must be rellies of some of our summer lane members. or maybe even members themselves..hopefully one day names will be put to the faces..its a bostin pic...

lyn

No date to it though, any ideas ? Max

My apologies if this picture has been posted before, Bentley and Playfair were Gun manufacturers that were originally at 56 summer Lane,and moved around 1860 to the premises shown at 315-316 Summer Lane. Max

Every time I see one of these yard photo's I find it heart breaking. At the start of WW2 I would have been one of those faces in one of those pictures and my mom and dad would have been there and as for dates...how about into the early sixties. Fine living for the workers who drove the engine that powered the Empire and I always look for faces but maybe don't want to find any.

summer lane birmingham general hospital...c 1890
Photo replaced

summer lane general hospital...c 1890.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Big Gee
Sorry if I have enquired about this before but I noticed your ref to the Salutation in Alma St. My Gt Grandfather James Curley ran this pub from the 30's through to late 40's. My dad remembers bare knuckle fighting in the back yard and James also bread Staff dogs.... sounds like a modern day chav lol!!! Dad also recalls his cousin loosing an eye when his brother mis threw a dart!

hi lulu...i have a pic of the salutation if you would like me to post it for you.....

lyn

I have been to just off Rocky Lane at Aston this morning from Stourport and instead of going the Motorway, I went the old fashioned way. Down Hagley Road and turning left at the Ivy Bush and then down to Hockley. I went along The Flat, down Ford Street and at the bottom where the bus depot was, is now The New Bingley Hall. Does anyone know exactly what it is used for? From there round the roundabout at Hockley Brook taking 3rd turning, went past the The White Pub on the corner of Unett Street and then eventually turning left along Alma Street, turned right then crossing over Newtown Row to eventually arrive at Aston Cross and then straight over. What a memory that brought back with all those old street names. The last time I went to Aston I went on the Motorway and got completely lost. I really enjoyed my trip this morning - apart from the roadworks on Monument Road!

I have been to just off Rocky Lane at Aston this morning from Stourport and instead of going the Motorway, I went the old fashioned way. Down Hagley Road and turning left at the Ivy Bush and then down to Hockley. I went along The Flat, down Ford Street and at the bottom where the bus depot was, is now The New Bingley Hall. Does anyone know exactly what it is used for? From there round the roundabout at Hockley Brook taking 3rd turning, went past the The White Pub on the corner of Unett Street and then eventually turning left along Alma Street, turned right then crossing over Newtown Row to eventually arrive at Aston Cross and then straight over. What a memory that brought back with all those old street names. The last time I went to Aston I went on the Motorway and got completely lost. I really enjoyed my trip this morning - apart from the roadworks on Monument Road!

Here it is found on Google
https://www.thenewbingleyhall.co.uk/

Alf thanks, but I cant see what they have done in the past and whats happening in the future on their website. It was only curiosity really, it seems a funny place to be situated. It was just the shock really as I remember the bus depot and playing on the buses as kids and hopefully finding bean bags that some kids had left when they had been taken to play at some playing fields.

Hi Carolynn

The old Hockley Bus Depot has had a new front put on it & renamed the New Bingley hall - used maily for the very large Indian weddings.

It seems to be a growing business - I seem to recall a warehouse used the same behind the markets at the back of the bull ring

Brian

Brian thanks for the info. Key Hill was a good area as well in its hey day 50/60s. I used to walk up it to get to Swallow Raincoats.

Glad you enjoyed the ride around! They have only just finished painting the White House.
Back in '66 when there were only 2 houses left standing between the Lucas (Great King St) factory and the White House (The houses were in Little king St) that was our view - From the White House loooking back at our house - it looked just the pics you see of Hiroshima - rubble and lots of it!
I often try and go down differant streets for a change - but so many of them are now truncated or blocked off with new developments.
Thank god I still have my '60's A-Z as well as my modern one.!
Brian

Charlie he is the x president and he was here to raise money for his hopeful return to his country. Dek

I dont wish to appear as a moaner but this thread is Summer Lane!! Max

Lyn, I would be very grateful if you could post your pic for me. Do any of my family names mean anything to you?

My great Grandfather ran the Salutation in Alma St during the 30's & 40's he was James Curley, his wife was Gertrude. She moved to Cooksey Road Small Heath after his death and ran a shop there. My Grand dad (their son) was John Curley known as Tom, he was on the stage as a standup comedian in the 40's 50's and 60's, he died 1967.
Other names are Haddon of Thomas Haddon & Stokes and Reynolds. My Great great gran Mary Reynolds lived in Butler St Small Heath till her death in 1950's.
Curleys were notorious especially with their bare knuckle boxing which took place in the back of The Sally in Alma St!

hi lulu..sorry those names dont ring any bells..would love to see any family pics that you may have of alma st though...

lyn

wonderful pics lulu..i love the wedding one...im sure that if you wanted some of of clever members would be able to take the creases of of the first pic for you...thanks for sharing them with us

lyn

I dont want to go off this thread, so forgive me. I have just received Tud Rudge's book Around Hockley, and well, I go to the foot of our stairs, if there aint a picture in it of the New Bingley Hall. Hope you are all enjoying the sunshine.

How would I make contact with the clever members who may be able to smooth out the photo Lyn? And by the way, many thanks.
Lulu

Back