• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Street furniture

If it's an unfamiliar photo Lyn I shall copy it to the Snow Hill Station thread. Viv.

The sign with the circle on it most likely says 'left turn only' as I know straight ahead was into Bull Street (No Entry) and I don't believe you could make a right turn into Colmore Row. I might be mistaken about the turn into Colmore Row however as I was too young to drive when lived up that way. The sign below that signified that it was a bus stop and no waiting was permitted other than by buses of course and two standard BCT Fare Stage signs red coloured) can be seen. The matching - there were always two, either side of the bus stop signs, can be seen just past the lamp standard. The compulsory bus stops would be certainly for 29 and 29A buses and others.

The sign with the circle on it most likely says 'left turn only' as I know straight ahead was into Bull Street (No Entry) and I don't believe you could make a right turn into Colmore Row. I might be mistaken about the turn into Colmore Row however as I was too young to drive when lived up that way. The sign below that signified that it was a bus stop and no waiting was permitted other than by buses of course and two standard BCT Fare Stage signs red coloured) can be seen. The matching - there were always two, either side of the bus stop signs, can be seen just past the lamp standard. The compulsory bus stops would be certainly for 29 and 29A buses and others.
The 7 & 5a used to stop here, I think that you are right those were the 29 stops, as the 5/7 stops seemed to be nearer the four crossway, Colmore Row, Steelhouse Lane, Bull Street and Snow Hill and the buses could turn right as the 5/7 went into Colmore Row (this is up to 1959, after which I had no need of them), but which way did the 29 go? Did they turn right as well or did they have a different route out towards their ultimate destination the far side of the City? I cannot for the life of me remember if 29 ran along Colmore Row.

Bob

Up to the time mentioned here the 29 (and its CITY which went only to High Street to return north) and the 29A turned left into Steelhouse Lane. It continued along Corporation Street, lower part of Bull Street, down the Bullring and off to suburbia. :)

If you could turn right then the sign must have announced something else no route ahead or some other directions. :eek:

I remember turning right on the bus going into Colmore Row. Where did the 5a go after Victoria Square? Did it go round the island and back again or down New Street? It stopped by a travel agents near Lyons and I always had to look at the model of the liner in the window - it had the side removed so that you could see all the little furniture. The 7 stopped in the middle of the (there is a picture on the forum of the little bit where people queued - not much room in the rush hour) it then continued to Portland Road where it terminated.

I remember turning right on the bus going into Colmore Row. Where did the 5a go after Victoria Square? Did it go round the island and back again or down New Street? It stopped by a travel agents near Lyons and I always had to look at the model of the liner in the window - it had the side removed so that you could see all the little furniture. The 7 stopped in the middle of the (there is a picture on the forum of the little bit where people queued - not much room in the rush hour) it then continued to Portland Road where it terminated.
Lady P
The 5a (later 5), went to the left hand side of Queen Victoria and the bus stop was outside a shipping office, it usually waited 3/4 minutes then went down New Street with a stop just below the Theatre Royal was there a cinema there as well? Then left into Corporation Street where there was another stop left again into Bull Street with the stop in front of Greys, then back into Snow Hill.
Radiorails thanks for reminding me what the 29 did.
Bob

Possibly the picture you are referring to
View attachment 110749

1955 from The Sphere, from a painting by Clive Upton.

Last edited:
Thanks OldMohawk. That's the one!

Bob, I think the picture house was where Piccadilly Arcade is now. The arcade goes from New Street to Stephenson Street and I use it every time I go into town. It has a decorated ceiling but I don't know if this was the original one. I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

Just had a lightbulb moment thanks to info above. Sometimes we would catch the 5a opposite C & A's! Amazing how other peoples' memories jog your own. Thanks chaps.

If you could turn right then the sign must have announced something else no route ahead or some other directions. :eek:
According to the article in Wikipedia on British Road signs, this open red circle was an order, if only we could see the view from the other side

Bob

I remember this Bundy clock outside the Gaumont cinema. The #33 is swinging past Lloyd House, then the Post & Mail building. But the buses used to stop (such as the #64- but not the #33) on the Lloyd Hse/Post &Mail side. So why was the Bundy right across on the other side of the road? I don't remember buses stopping on that side by the Gaumont (although I do remember this was a one- way system around here). Viv.

View attachment 115430
Was it left over from the trams?
Bob

A 1938 postcard of a modified pillar box on Temple Row. Was this modified for war preparation ? Viv.

image.jpeg

I walked along a local road one day and it was 'normal' but two days later a new piece of street furniture had appeared so I took a couple of pics.
20170901_105548901_iOS (Small).jpg_20170901_105625319_iOS (Small).jpg

Is it solar powered? No idea what it is, but if it's solar powered it must operate something. Viv.

I had a close look at the yellow label and it reads 'Danger explosive atmosphere' so it must be something to do with gas supply.

A very different box. Is this a grit/salt box on Paradise Street ? Don't think I've noticed these boxes on older photos. A very nice set of lamps on that little roundabout too. Viv.

image.jpeg

Street map machines. Remember those ? This one opposite Snow Hill station by the bus stop is from 1969. Not sure about this, but did you twiddle some knobs to move the map around, or am I imagining this ? Viv.

image.jpeg

Yes, on either side. I have a vague memory that there was a cursor so you could locate a street by a reference number

Ok, I think there were two set of knobs, one to spin the revolving map up and down in front of the cursor and other was a cylindrical map street index at the bottom

Last edited:
Thanks Mort. Thought I might have imagined it. Don't think I ever actually used one. Viv.

Back