• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Victoria Square

Thanks for that, Ell. I had to look up the definition of reconstituted stone, and after wading through all the baloney, it amounts to a form of posh concrete! But it looks quite good and is obviously cheaper than quarried stone. It seems that is now the way it is going to go if you're prepared to pay that little bit extra.

Maurice

Colmore Row is a bit like a Parisian boulevard now. Especially with the restored Grand Hotel and 55 Colmore Row.

Most of the buses turn down Newhall Street past the 103 Colmore Row site.

Queen's Square. Labelling error or was it really once named 'Queen's Square' ? Viv.

image.jpeg

Many or these postcard firms did not have bases in the towns they portrayed. Maybe in this case they were getting mixed up with queen's square, wolverhamptoin

Hi All,
Or perhaps they had forgotten the name of the Queen. Now what was it?
Old Boy
Many or these postcard firms did not have bases in the towns they portrayed. Maybe in this case they were getting mixed up with queen's square, wolverhamptoin

This is the same view but many years earlier (from Birmingham Mail but no date given). Looks like the railings of Christ Church are still there to the right. And I don't think the Art Gallery had been built at this time (no clock tower in view). Also horse and carts in use. Was this taken in/pre 1880s? Viv.

image.jpeg

Birmingham Weekender was in Victoria Square from the 22nd to 24th September 2017. Quite busy when I went past the council house last week.

Now we all know what happened in the 1966 sporting world, but does anyone remember this huge floral football in the Square ? Viv.

image.jpeg

It was the Moseley Folk Festival at the Birmingham Weekender event. They are usually in Moseley Park.

Much quieter in Victoria Square today.

Just St John Ambulance in the square.

Last edited:
New background for Queen Victoria in Victoria Square. One Chamberlain Square (which has stopped construction since Carillion collapsed as week ago).

The building is quite new. Saw a sign inside saying Lloyds. So assume offices above are for Lloyds Bank.

This is the building at 125 Colmore Row. The NatWest Tower at 103 Colmore Row is now demolished.

This is the third Lloyds Bank building to be on the corner of Colmore Row and Eden Place in my lifetime, The previous one was built in about 1964 replacing the earlier one at 125 Colmore Row. While this current building was being rebuilt the Colmore Row branch was moved across the road and this corner position was to be the new branch with regional offices above but I understand that Starbucks came in with an offer that Lloyds could not refuse. Westminster Bank was further along Colmore Row.

Back