• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stitchers stitchings

• Thread starter Thread starter Stitcher
  • Start date Start date
Well Stitcher, I thought the one I am doing was hard work, but that would beat me, no problem. You must have loads of patience!

Lindyloo & Shortie, thank you for your comments but I am sure we are all pretty good at different things. I think Cookie's paintings are fabulous for instance but I am useless with a paint brush or a pencil. A friend who died last year used to make working steam engines from basic pieces of metal in his garage and small two stroke model aero engines that could fly. I love my garden, I love driving to, and looking at historical buildings and I enjoy cooking dinner once a week because my angel wife Sheila cooks the other six days.
Trevor.

Maybe a bit off thread, but as this is River Street thread, was anybody out there camping with the 45th Bham troop at Lynmouth when the River Lyn flash flooded 60 years ago today , and who had to be evacuated home with me and the rest of the troop , on a chara, to the Scout hall opp St Margarets Church in Ward End ?

Hi Ingleton, you may wish to delete your post from here and repost, as this is, as far as I know, not the River Street thread and your query might get missed here..(or maybe Admin might move it for you).

Stitcher, I'm sure we are all good at different things ....but Credit where Credit's due...your work is awesome and deserves to be recognised as such. :adoration:

Stitcher, A lovely picture even before it is finished - thank you for sharing your work with us. Anthea

Hello Anthea, you may have read on previous posts that I made my wifes clothes for years along with shirts, jeans and on one occasion, a suit for myself. I stopped that sort of sewing when we finished going out in the evening/night and that was when I started Xstitch as a hobby. I tried several forums around that time as well but those that I tried were not for me so I did not settle on any of them, but then BHF emerged and If I had found it sooner I would have sewn a small collection of black and white/greyscale pics of old brum because I have the software to transform a photo into a pattern. I have tried to get our GG grand children inyerested but all to no avail.

Hello Stitcher, Yes, I have read about the clothes that you used to make and would like to see any photos that you have of them if that is possible. It would have been nice for all of us on the Forum if you had sewn those black and white/greyscale pictures of old brum - perhaps there is still time for you to do maybe just one ???

Best Wishes, Anthea.

Absolutely beautiful Trevor, I love anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, and this just hits the right spot with me. As an former cross stitcher myself, I know all the effort and time that has gone into this picture. Well done my friend. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Hello Maggs, I started it almost fifteen months ago and it will take another six/eight weeks to reach the halfway mark. I am sure the second half will take less time because there a several areas with only one colour in them whereas in the part I have completed there are numerous areas where a large number of adjoining stitches are different colours, this of course means a lot of time is spent cutting a piece of thread, threading the needle, sewing a single stitch, finishing the thread under a few stitches at the back then cutting the waste thread off before doing the same thing again and again.

Anthea, depending on my progress on the one I am doing, I may try sewing one, if and when I find a suitable picture I will post it on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know exactly what you Mean Trevor, as I've done some of that 'one stitch here and another there' myself. It's slow when the needle keeps having to be re threaded too. Also weaving in has to be done with great care, and I am sure you have made a super job of it.

Hello,
I love your needlework it is so lovely. I have over the years done some embroidery, cross stitch, tapestry etc but of late do not seem to be able to concentrate on it, have several started but not finished. I know it is something that you can always go back to. I admire your patience and work so much it really is so nice to see.

Shady.

Shady, thank you for your nice comments, I have also tried embroidery but I could not get a thimble large enough to be comfortable and without one the eye of the needle pierced my finger a few times so I did not do much of it., You may have read I did dressmaking and tailoring and a long time ago I had a great idea with "corking". A friend drilled the hole in a cotton reel to a larger size and I used six small nails instead of four, this of course made the finished corking thicker than that done with four nails. Using both types gave the finisheda large rug I made an embossed effect if you can understand what I mean. I did not enjoy doing it so I only did the one,

Last edited by a moderator:
Stitcher, This was worth waiting for. All the time and effort you have put in to produce a most lovely piece of work.

Anthea

Absolutely superb Stitcher as said above well worth the wait.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

What a fantastic work of art . I am in absolute awe of your skill and patience. Congratulations on a wonderful antique of the future. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Back