• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Locos

Not arguing about any of that Richard. I would agree. Itcwas the bit about the hydrogen generator being on the train that I could not , cannot, understand.
Mike, there are numerous configurations using hydrogen as a power source. Most of the links etc that I have posted have the generator as a separate unit, as can be shown with the hydrogen being recharged. I think that most applications will have a hydrogen storage unit powering some form of engine generating electricity to power the vehicle. This would be much the same way as diesel electrics work. If I misspoke about the generator, my apologies. I have heard of such applications but are usually stationary applications, not always but mostly.
This whole thing is still settling out. There are so many different themes and variations depending upon the application and work location.
Hope that helps…

Here s my Jinty
I got 2
One Xmas I ran 1 and kept this one boxed
I just serviced the loco being running a hour time to put it back in its box
As my layout is GWR
PS i add pic later got Gremlins at mo

Last edited:

What type of locomotive is a 'Jinty' and what were they used for ?​

1723394931235.jpeg
The term 'Jinty' refers to a specific type of steam locomotive that was commonly used in the United Kingdom. Officially known as the Fowler 3F Class, the Jinty locomotives were a class of small, tank engines that were designed for shunting and local freight duties. They were primarily used on industrial and suburban railway lines.

The Jinty locomotives were built by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) between 1924 and 1931. They were given the nickname 'Jinty' due to their resemblance to a cartoon character called 'Ginny Jinty' that appeared in a popular comic strip at the time.
These locomotives had a 0-6-0 wheel arrangement, which means they had six driving wheels and no leading or trailing wheels. They were equipped with a small water tank and coal bunker, allowing them to operate without the need for a separate tender.

The Jinty locomotives were known for their versatility and reliability. They were well-suited for shunting duties, which involved moving wagons and carriages around in railway yards. They were also used for short-distance freight hauling, such as delivering goods to local industries and businesses.
Due to their compact size and good acceleration, Jinty locomotives were often used on suburban passenger services as well. They were capable of pulling a few carriages and were particularly useful on routes with frequent stops and short distances between stations.
The Jinty locomotives were a common sight on many railway lines in the UK during the mid-20th century. However, with the decline of steam traction and the advent of diesel and electric locomotives, the Jinty class gradually became obsolete. Over 400 Jinty locomotives were produced and at least 9 have been preserved and can still be seen in collections or in operation on heritage railways today.

Back