• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Locos

Trying to identify location on attached pic and then rough age. I want to see if I can find the copyright owner
Ta

Attachments

• train.jpg
    train.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 33
Trying to identify location on attached pic and then rough age. I want to see if I can find the copyright owner
Ta
It's Tyseley. The main line to Warwick, Banbury & Paddington veers off to the left behind the signal box, while the North Warwickshire line to Stratford & Cheltenham goes off to the right. The train is non-corridor stock, meaning it's probably a suburban working, maybe arriving from Lapworth before terminating at Snow Hill? Period probably late 1950s.

It's Tyseley. The main line to Warwick, Banbury & Paddington veers off to the left behind the signal box, while the North Warwickshire line to Stratford & Cheltenham goes off to the right. The train is non-corridor stock, meaning it's probably a suburban working, maybe arriving from Lapworth before terminating at Snow Hill? Period probably late 1950s.
pulled by a Prairie x 5 in my layout sheds
Brake coach in middle of rake !
Post January 1948 early emblem on loco

Last edited:
pulled by a Prairie x 5 in my layout sheds
Brake coach in middle of rake !
Post January 1948 early emblem on loco
I thought about the brake coach being in the middle, but it suits situations where the loco runs round the train at an outer terminal to run back the other way. It would seem pointless to have a brake / guards compartment next to the engine.

I thought about the brake coach being in the middle, but it suits situations where the loco runs round the train at an outer terminal to run back the other way. It would seem pointless to have a brake / guards compartment next to the engine.
yes i thought about that im running x6 suburban trains x4 into termiul stations most of my pictures of GWR/LMS Suburban rakes 3 plus cars have a brake both ends the guard has to apply the brakes when needed
Iv watched this been done as a kid rideing in a brake coach with my uncle Jack during the summer hols
he was a ex GWR driver but due to a injury he became a guard
thats when i caught the bug
got 2 GWR and BR/WR lamps on fire place.

Is Steam on the way back ?

Great video! Hydrogen has become a power source for many diesel conversions. Many of the locos used on the Austrian National Railways have already been converted and diesel engine manufacturers are building engines that are backward compatible. Not sure where the steam part plays in this because many conversions generate electricity to utilize existing technology, maintenance and servisabilty.

Not sure where the steam part plays in this because many conversions generate electricity to utilize existing technology, maintenance and serviceability.
Steam has an advantage over electricity in that it is compressible. Electricity needs batteries to store power, but steam at high pressures always wants to return to atmospheric pressure, hence it holds latent energy which can be transmitted to the machinery it is driving.

Steam has an advantage over electricity in that it is compressible. Electricity needs batteries to store power, but steam at high pressures always wants to return to atmospheric pressure, hence it holds latent energy which can be transmitted to the machinery it is driving.
Hydrogen/ electrics do not need larger batteries. The electricity is generated by hydrogen generators which travel with the vehicle. The hydrogen is highly compressed in tanks on the loco an$ is the power source.

Please explain to those of us who know little of such things, what fuels and raw materials are used in the manufacture of compressed Hydrogen? Are there any waste or unused products remaining?

This link is a little primmer, if you want more I will glad to oblige. The waste or by product is water vapor. The big breakthrough is currently known as green hydrogen. From the article batteries are not needed in the process. It is renewable energy & as I said earlier a number of locomotive operators have already converted to hydrogen. Water is H20 that is where the hydrogen comes from.
Toyota & Honda (and I am sure others) are developing hydrogen powered vehicles, the recharge tome is 90 to 100 seconds vs 11/2 to 2 hours for EV.

I'm a bit confused by this, and by what Richard says. I thought hydrogen was normally made by electrolysis or by some thermal process from fossil fuels. It can be stored either high pressure or by absorption on (usually very expensive) substrates. So not clear how it can be generated on the locomotive without either using electricity generated elsewhere (and presumably stored on the loco) or from fossil fuels. I don't claim to be very knowledgeable on the subject and am probably not up to date, so could someone explain how it is generated in this environment?

I'm a bit confused by this, and by what Richard says. I thought hydrogen was normally made by electrolysis or by some thermal process from fossil fuels. It can be stored either high pressure or by absorption on (usually very expensive) substrates. So not clear how it can be generated on the locomotive without either using electricity generated elsewhere (and presumably stored on the loco) or from fossil fuels. I don't claim to be very knowledgeable on the subject and am probably not up to date, so could someone explain how it is generated in this environment?
Green hydrogen uses solar & wind, grey hydrogen uses fossil fuels. Look at the like from Germany and the Cummins link, they should clear up you question Mike.

Green hydrogen uses solar & wind, grey hydrogen uses fossil fuels. Look at the like from Germany and the Cummins link, they should clear up you question Mike.
...and what would the (solar, wind or fossil) fuel requirement be to generate enough Hydrogen to run a fleet of, say, 20 locomotives in daily service?
is it economically cheaper than using that power directly via overhead wires to electric trains? If so, it would be a game changer.

...and what would the (solar, wind or fossil) fuel requirement be to generate enough Hydrogen to run a fleet of, say, 20 locomotives in daily service?
is it economically cheaper than using that power directly via overhead wires to electric trains? If so, it would be a game changer.
Lloyd, I don’t have those answers and if I did could not share. I will say this if you read the articles you will see enormous interest and participation. This approach eliminates tho cost and maintenance of electrification particularly in remote areas.
There is no “silver bullet” to the carbon zero goal but hydrogen is certainly a part of that with the ability to reuse existing diesel engines and maintenance technologies.

Not arguing about any of that Richard. I would agree. Itcwas the bit about the hydrogen generator being on the train that I could not , cannot, understand.

Back