• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Barnabas Church Erdington

thanks for the update dave...such a sad sight indeed..the wonderful stained glass windows can never be replaced:(

lyn

Been a bit under the weather this last week but I did notice a fairly lengthy e-mail from Reverend Freida at St. Barnabas. It's about the stained glass windows. I will read it through and let you know what the Vicar
has said.

Thanks for the pics Frothy. Things are moving along now. I had almost forgotten about the e-mail that I received from the Reverend Freda Evans. I ended up e-mailing her all the photos I had of the original stained glass windows in the church and she has put them on a file stick so that they have a record of them. That's good to know.

Just to let you know, there's an "open day" for people who have relatives buried there. As it's been impossible to get to the graves due to building work, Rev Freda Evans is letting us have a look at them. It's 10 - 12 this morning.

What a shame I didn't see this earlier this morning - I would not be able to get there in time now. If anyone takes photos I would love to see them :)

I can see them ok Pol might be your end...thats as much as I know... lol

The photo's are lovely I can't belive all those grave stones I do wish they were left alone!

Thanks Ray - I can see them now :):)
They are lovely photos - thank you for posting them again. It is such a beautiful Church. I feel very sad that most of it has been destroyed by fire. I would have loved to have visited it when it looked like this, especially as there were plaques to the Ryland family inside. At the moment I am unsure exactly where my Ryland grave is but I am hoping that it may be on your photo.
:)

Great photos Ray. No problem seeing them for me. Such great memories as I spent so many hours in there over the years. I always sat in the front right hand pew at the end during the morning services and later on for the evening services went upstairs in the balcony. Several alterations were done over the years. The balcony was dismantled and some offices were built at the back of the church. A new altar was built at the transept steps to bring it closer to the congregation. The high altar was left in place. I have some coloured photos I took in 1985. The graveyard has been ruined over the years which is very sad.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have the Monumental Inscriptions of St. Barnabas I can tell you where the Ryland Grave is. Please let me know if you wish to find out. I also sat in the front row on the right hand side. Mrs,. Tonks Sunday School teacher sat on the lefthend side. This was in the 1950/60's. We also sat in the balcony from tme to time. I was a bellringer.

Fentham

Just a quick look at the MI listings appear to show a number of Ryland Graves at St Barnabas plus one at St Peter & St Pauls in Aston (Aston Parish Church)

Hi frothblower & pollypots

can you see them any better.
Ray

Yes I can Ray thank you.
My 3 sisters were married at St Barnabas. I will try and srounge their wedding photos:)

hah.gif
Pollypots
rofl2.gif

Last edited:
Only took 2 general pics on Saturday as I was doing a bit of work on my Grandparent's grave. As it's within the builders' area I can't get there that often so I decided to replace the sorry looking artificial flowers with something a bit more quirky!
The inside pic of the Church shows the girders which will make it a ground floor plus mezzanine.

Back