• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Barnabas Church Erdington

My maternal Grandfather and Grandmother are buried on the High St side of the church just inside the builders' boards and I was concerned looking at the plans that theirs could be one of those affected by the re-building. Looking at post #60 by Jennyann where an appendix names the graves which will be affected makes me think my Grandparents' wont be one of them. However, to be on the safe side I've contacted the St Barnabus website to ask for their confirmation. I should be going through Erdington later this week so I'll try to get some photos done.

My maternal Grandfather and Grandmother are buried on the High St side of the church just inside the builders' boards and I was concerned looking at the plans that theirs could be one of those affected by the re-building. Looking at post #60 by Jennyann where an appendix names the graves which will be affected makes me think my Grandparents' wont be one of them. However, to be on the safe side I've contacted the St Barnabus website to ask for their confirmation. I should be going through Erdington later this week so I'll try to get some photos done.

Hello David.
I don't know where they have moved the coffins from the graves to but it's being done properly with screens around, out of sight.

Looks like they just removed head stones from some graves and removed coffins from others.
ch2.jpg

ch1.jpg

hi froth
was it just the frontage of the church they removed the graves or have they gone down behind the rear end of the cem
which the fire effefected or have they taken out other graves that was broken down before hand or also going by the old dated graves with no sibbling familys to attend the graves that are in disrepair because may be they have past the hundred years old marker
best wishes astonian

hi froth
was it just the frontage of the church they removed the graves or have they gone down behind the rear end of the cem
which the fire effefected or have they taken out other graves that was broken down before hand or also going by the old dated graves with no sibbling familys to attend the graves that are in disrepair because may be they have past the hundred years old marker
best wishes astonian

The photos I took are a the entrance of the church. Most of the graves at the side ( High street ) are mostly behind the builder boards so I can't see. I assume they will have to be removed because that is where the new glass atrium will be.

Thanks for posting the photos of the hoardings, etc. It is quite astounding when you look at photo to the right of the High Street entrance and see just one or two graves, two very old ones and one newer one. I expect there are more behind the hoardings on that side. There used to be many graves from the wall to the church path. Looks as though there are many graves gone from the Lynch Gate up to the Church as well. Where have all those graves gone to?

I took the opportunity to take pictures just before the official vandalism took place.. I will post them when I get a chance. Just a thought, if instead of posting pics we just post the link to a pic will that link have to be deleted eventually like some of the pictures have to be?

Ian

I am pretty sure the link does not absorb bandwith or storage in the same was as photos uploaded to the site do.

I went to St Barnabus yesterday and found that the whole of the area is now fenced off. I still managed to get to see that my Grandmother and Grandad's grave is OK and won't be affected by the building work. I was worried at first because the big fir tree the grave is next to wasn't visible and it looked like the extension had covered it. However all thy have done is cut the tree dowm, phew!
I was able to take these 2 pics of the inside.

Hi David: Thanks for posting the two photos that you were able to take on your visit. Whilst it is very sad to view these, it is good to see that St. Barnabas is being rebuilt. Fortunately, a lot of the stone structure is still sound so there will be quite a lot to recognize when the project is completed. Glad to hear that you were able to locate your grandparents grave.

Hi jennyann, yes I was pleased. Also I had a long chat with the Reverand Freda Evans who was extremely helpful. She's since emailed me to say that they hope to invite families to visit the graves on Sat 16th April.

Just had another contact from Reverend Evans and I quote:

"Meanwhile, if you hear of anyone expressing interest about our work in the churchyard, please reassure them that it does not involve the removal of any graves - I hear this has been mentioned somewhere but I haven't the time to look - only the gravemarkers, albeit that is a sensitive issue in itself.

I will suggest to the Registrar that as a consequence of our experience, in future, notices relating to any changes should be placed on a website as well as in the press."

Just had another contact from Reverend Evans and I quote:

"Meanwhile, if you hear of anyone expressing interest about our work in the churchyard, please reassure them that it does not involve the removal of any graves - I hear this has been mentioned somewhere but I haven't the time to look - only the gravemarkers, albeit that is a sensitive issue in itself.

I will suggest to the Registrar that as a consequence of our experience, in future, notices relating to any changes should be placed on a website as well as in the press."

I wonder why they have to put screens around a grave just to remove gravemarkers?

hi david and thanks for the updates and pics of st barnabas...what a sad sight to see it virtually destroyed:(

lyn

I wonder why they have to put screens around a grave just to remove gravemarkers?

Hi Froth, by gravemarkers do you mean the headstones? If so it could be because untill they move them they would have no idea of what effect it was going to have on the grave - the earth could really sink down etc. especially as they already have trouble with subsidence in parts of the cemetery. Workers falling into graves while removing stones may be great for a comedy sketch but not so good if it really happened watched by the public.

Hi jennyann, yes I was pleased. Also I had a long chat with the Reverand Freda Evans who was extremely helpful. She's since emailed me to say that they hope to invite families to visit the graves on Sat 16th April.

Hi David, do you know if this invite will be for graves in a particular part of the churchyard or for all graves around the Church? I am waiting to visit one that is behind the hoarding at the moment - but it is on the side not affected by the building work - other than the builders are using the area as storage for their materials so it is not accessible. I spoke to Rev'd Evans last year when I phoned to check if my ancestors grave would be affected - I too found her most helpful.

Hi Froth, by gravemarkers do you mean the headstones? If so it could be because untill they move them they would have no idea of what effect it was going to have on the grave - the earth could really sink down etc. especially as they already have trouble with subsidence in parts of the cemetery. Workers falling into graves while removing stones may be great for a comedy sketch but not so good if it really happened watched by the public.

Point taken Pollypops, but not only screens but also a small JCB. I know you're going to say "Gravestones are heavy". My suspicious mind I suppose.

If/are they are extending the Church out towards the High St, would some of the Graves be covered over ?

Hi pollypops, Freda said that they will invite all relatives who have a grave with ancestors buried. I imagine it will be confirmed on their website and possibly in the local papers. If I'm the first to see it I'll post.

Dave M, see post #60 for a link to the planning details which show the graves affected. On the High St side (which is where "my" grave is), only if there are any right next to the wall would they be affected. I was assured by the builders that any (on the High St side) which are outside their white plastic covering will not be affected other than to re-position headstones etc which may be wonky.

Thanks David, hopefully I will get an invite as they have all my contact details but please could you let me know if you hear/see anything just incase I don't.

I have just had a look around the graves from the Church down to the entrance in Moor End Lane and have noticed that a great many of the memorials have a white paint mark and a little white sticker attached.... anyone know what that is supposed to indicate?

In the local paper, St Barnabas, locals will have a chance to see into the empty building on February 19th 1000 and 1400

Back