• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill (the Road)

Yes Mike I learnt about it here my skills honed on muddy country Roads in Brum as a youth

hi folks...here is a new one..nice shot of the salution pub and a few of the shops along constitution hill..

as all images past sept were lost due to the new upgrade i am reposting these two pics...

lyn

oops..will try again...bare with me...trying to work out whats happening here

ok folks..i give up for now..i am following the same precedure but it wont go...will try again later..

lyn

Info from someone please regarding the street "Snow Hill". Does anyone recall a music shop down there in the 1960s?
Have come across an item in Wolverhampton which could prove interesting if correct. I think the number of the premises is No. 87 so is there a page of Kelly's which will provide the details? I'm presuming its the Salutation end of the road so photographs of occupancies around the number 87 will come in useful.

Richie.

Don't have a photo Richie (I'm sure someone else will though) but I remember a music shop in Snow Hill. It was there until quite recently (and maybe still...Yardleys?) and was almost at the junction with Great Charles Street.

reposting this pic that we lost in the upgrade...you can see the pointed roof of the salutation pub on the right...this pub was demolished many years ago...if it does not work i will try down sizing it

lyn

Info from someone please regarding the street "Snow Hill". Does anyone recall a music shop down there in the 1960s?
Have come across an item in Wolverhampton which could prove interesting if correct. I think the number of the premises is No. 87 so is there a page of Kelly's which will provide the details? I'm presuming its the Salutation end of the road so photographs of occupancies around the number 87 will come in useful.

Richie.

Hi Richie
The music shop I remember at 89 Old Snow Hill was Yardleys and in about 1983 Musical exchanges, Dave Quilly owned it.
Louisa

I can't seem to open up your photos on this thread Lyn? Are you still on 405 lines or something?

A post of the relevant page of Kelly's (I would expect around 1960-63) would be ideal.

hi richie...some of the photos i previously posted we can no longer view due to the upgrade the forum underwent...obviously i have all these saved in my files and i keep on trying to repost them but they just wont work....sorry i dont know what 405 lines means...

lyn

i remember there was a faggots and peas shop situated around the bottom of snow hill, and a bit further up was a pub where if you turned left at the traffic lights it would bring you to
st chads cathedral.

hi richie...some of the photos i previously posted we can no longer view due to the upgrade the forum underwent...obviously i have all these saved in my files and i keep on trying to repost them but they just wont work....sorry i dont know what 405 lines means...

lyn

Which explains why when I open the photo attachment window nothing happens to many of them. Had I spotted the Snow Hill article a few days earlier, i could have checked the Kelly's in Birmingham when I cam over on Monday.

(405 lines was the frequency we television viewers had in black and white before it was speeded up to 625 lines when BBC-2 came along!)

This picture went missing from a previous post.Reloading just in case anyone missed it 1st time around.
Moss.

thanks ray..i am going to try and re post this one...it wouldnt work the other week...nope its not working...

lyn

I know this thread is a little long in the tooth now (like me) but just for information, I used to go to Yardley's music shop for Accordian lessons , I started when I was around 10 or so in about 1952 and went to a music school above the shop run by George Clay who later opened a music shop in Broad street, My teacher was a lovely girl some 9 or 10 years older than me her name was Pamela Deakin and she went on to become ranked about 8th in the world and also did radio work on the BBC workers playtime and such, I remember as a young boy I was besotted ... smile, .... sadly I read recently that she died about 3 or 4 years ago, she had her own music school locally somewhere in the brum area, maybe Warley? does anyone remember these things and this lovely lady?. or did anyone here take lessons with her?

Frank.

Any idea what is going on at The Snow Hill, 86 Old Snow Hill ?

November 2009

The Snow Hill - Old Snow Hill, Birmingham by ell brown, on Flickr

December 2010 under scaffolding

The Snow Hill - Old Snow Hill, Birmingham - under scaffolding by ell brown, on Flickr

No 86, a cubic Neo-Georgian former Y.M.C.A. by Harry Weedon & Partners, 1952-3, incorporating part of the structure of a music hall of 1885-6 by W.J. Ballard.
From Pevsner Architectural Guides: Birmingham by Andy Foster.

Yeah it was. Just wondering why it is in scaffolding. Are they renovating it?

Was a homeless hostel.

A friend of mine did some work in there a few years ago and he said then that it was a terrible place full of drunks and what-nots wandering about. It did go up-market a little in recent years but it is now getting a couple of million £ re-furbishment.

No problem.

I walked past it in Old Snow Hill / St Chad's Circus Queensway. Can't say I've noticed it before.

Must be a way in the '50s to let people know that a pub used to be on the site, before the Queensway's / Inner Ring Road was built.

Back