• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill (the Road)

I am having a little difficulty orientating myself with this photo. This is mainly because I don't remember a Midland Bank in that area. I remember Lloyds Bank and the Post Office. Is that Priory Queensway going off to the right? I don't actually recognise the buildings. I know that the Kennedy memorial, or part of it, was moved to Digbeth but I think the railway mosaic was just destroyed.
Edit Sorry I was confusing St Chads Circus with Colmore Circus.

From “Birmingham Buildings; the architectural story of a Midland City by Little, Bryan D. G.”

BCEACECE-07D5-4D13-82BD-DEBF721B1139.jpeg

wonderful photo pedro...hard to believe how things look now...this is the white horse cellars pub today...the snow hill photos are also great....lyn

lyn, thank you for that! Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! Such a beautiful city taken away!

The pictures I have posted above are from a book, Birmingham before the Electric tram. It has some great pictures of trams, but also some of the tram routes.

thats a cracking photo pete...cant say as i have seen it before..interesting that the radio/tv shop used to be the welcome hotel

lyn

I'm new to this forum. It's really interesting. I'm looking for any information about the Barrel Pub at 50 Snow Hill. My gggg grandfather, Benjamin Bridgwater, bought the pub after 1829 from John Gayly. When Benjamin died, his wife, Mary, took over. Later on their son, John Yates Bridgwater, my ggg grandfather took over. John got married to Helen Greenwood who was living 2 doors away. Her mother was a Grocer and Tea dealer at 48 Snow Hill in 1851. I have no idea how long my ancestors had the pub (or the grocery) nor when the pub closed for good. I know that John was still a publican in 1871 but would love to find any other info.

Last edited:
The directories give some information, though, as date on them is publication date, year referred to can be the year before. Details of the Barrel from them are below:

1829 Thomas Castle

1833 John Gayley

1839- 1841 Benjamin Bridgewater

1845-1862 Mrs Mary Bridgewater

1867-1884 John Yates Bridgewater

1888-1890 Mrs Eleanor Fanny Green

1892 Henry Watkins

1895-1899 William Butler

1900-1903 Arthur Wade Edge

But name seems to have changed to the Crown, and in 1904:

1904-1905 Charles White

1908 – 1915 George William Ansell

1921 – 1924 Sidney Samuel Fumpston.

1932-1933 Mrs Dorothy Maud Fumpston

1936-1950 Frederick Thomas Stansbie

1955 Harold William Rogers

1956 Richard William Fisher

No landlords are listed in directories after 1956, but pub Is listed till the 1961 edition, disappearing from the 1962 edition.

In 1833 Benjamin Bridgewater is listed as a victualler at 44 Birchall St
And in 1829 a Benjamin Bridgewater is listed as a gun & gunlock manufacturer at 57 Coleshill St.

Below is a map from 1880s showing the position of the Barrel inn on the corner of Bath St.

map 1880s showing Barrel Inn.jpg

Thank you so much Mikejee! Very much appreciated!!
So the pub was actually in the family for 45 years.
I read somewhere years ago that the Barrel was a stop for wagons, vans or carts carrying people to Darlaston on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and to Walsall, on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays so it must have been a busy place. I would imagine that the grocery shop a couple of doors away would have ben busy too. It seems like my two gggg grandmothers, Mary Bridgwater and Hannah Greenwood were both hardworking busy women!

Back