• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill Station

Although I've occasionally stumbled on this thread in the past, I've never read it thoroughly. Having done so for forty minutes, I'm left perplexed. Several members have written about their train-spotting past, and mention the Kings, Castles, Halls ..... and Manors?? which frequented Snow Hill. I went to Snow Hill almost every Saturday between about 1958 and 1961 ...... and can remember NEVER having seen a Manor. Surely the mini-Collett was inappropriately small, light and "weak" to work trains through one of the most important stations in the country? They were designed and built to work the lightweight lines of mid-Wales, Devon and Cornwall, weren't they? I know they operated between Shrewsbury and Aberystwyth because my grandfather "drove" one at the head of the "Cambrian Coast Express" for many years. db84124

s-d boy,
Thank you ......... now I won't be in bed before 4.00am AGAIN!!! What wonderful sites!!
Doesn't 7824 look miserable? She hasn't seen soap and water - let alone polish or an oily rag - for months, and the sheer shame and blow to self-esteem for using such a "pretty" engine at the head of a goods train!! I can see why she's hanging her head!
The second of your suggested sites is even more interesting.
I had read too – somewhere – that Manors were to be seen “in the Birmingham area”. I think the key to the fact that I never saw one there - although a permanent fixture on the western (Wolverhampton) extremity of Platform 7 between ’58 and ’61 - could lie in the caption to the excellent photograph of 7825 at Snow Hill, where it states in the section Wanderings in 1964 – 1968, “many trains were operated ..... by former express locomotives which had found themselves displaced from other lines”.
Thanks once again, David

Hi David,
Glad I've presented you with such a 'problem' ;) although my internal clock is a bit haywire and having something keeping me so occupied 'til 4am is welcome.
I was in single figures when those photo's were taken and my only connection with the railway then being the annual summer holiday trip so I missed all this and I'm constantly in catch-up mode.
Looking back through the photo/film and written record I feel that "sheer shame" you mention applies to pretty much the whole railway scene of the period and not far removed from the make-do-and-mend of the WWII era - there were true heroics being performed every day to meet the horrors and privations of that time, under-investment and poor management reducing the system to similar straits just seeming to me to be pathetic in comparison.
I do feel there was a pride of purpose inherent with classic steam design - that term applicable even to the humbler workaday types - missing from it's successors and while it's certainly possible for me to admire the technical aspects of some modern motive power I don't think I'd ever feel quite that sense of shame applying to the modern stuff :cool:

Regards, Gerry.

Here are some memories of snow hill, from a 1972 evening Mail, but apparently referring to WW1 and immediately after

memories_snow_hill_early_1900s.jpg

Back in the 50's, I used to train spot by the cattle-sheds near Bordesley Station or from behind the arches in Lawden Road and along with Kings, Castles, Halls and Counties, there were numerous Manors and Granges coming out of Snow Hill. From what seemed a mile off, you could always spot King George V by the sun glistening off it's brass bell...They were sunnier days then.

Somewhere I have short piece of 8mm film I took at Snow Hill back in the late 50's, I will try and find it and upload to the site, there are some very early diesels and a old tank engine pulling a short goods down the centre road, then a short MDU pulls in, I too was a spotter at the station for many years as a teen, the hours spent there were so happy memories, the Kings, Castles, Manors and rail cars were a thrill to see, does anyone have a picture of the murals outside the station by the subways that were built.

Somewhere I have short piece of 8mm film I took at Snow Hill back in the late 50's, I will try and find it and upload to the site, there are some very early diesels and a old tank engine pulling a short goods down the centre road, then a short MDU pulls in, I too was a spotter at the station for many years as a teen, the hours spent there were so happy memories, the Kings, Castles, Manors and rail cars were a thrill to see, does anyone have a picture of the murals outside the station by the subways that were built.

Andrew; if you are meaning the President J.F.Kennedy mural there will certainly be several around. The www.birminghammail.net site from the Birmingham Post and Evening Mail newspaper website has a feature from May 2008. A newsreel feature regarding the workshop sculpture of the installation in 1968 can be seen here www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=2525

Andrew i think this would be the under pass at Lower Priory outside the Gaurmant Cinema we have a thread on this but i am not sure of the heading.The Mural was buried when they filled it in Dek

Hi,
...does anyone have a picture of the murals outside the station by the subways that were built.
There are a number of photo's of the Great Western mosaic at St. Chad's Circus posted on on the internet, this one has a number of nice clear individual shots dated May 1970 and this one a 'complete' image although it's quite damaged here - the Original size image offers very good detail as you scroll along it:cool:

Regards, Gerry.

Photo 1911

Attachments

• City Snow Hill Platform 1 1911.jpg
    City Snow Hill Platform 1 1911.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 37
A cracking photo of the booking hall (pre ww ! 1) Max

Attachments

• City Snow Hill Booking Hall Pre wwI.jpg
    City Snow Hill Booking Hall Pre wwI.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 24
Never had any interest in trains or trainspotting. But I do remember the machine, used tp cost 1d. What were they actually for ?

Upstairs from it iirc, there was a booth where you could make a 45rpm record for 4/-. think I still got one of me and me mate singing old man river somewhere.

Quote: Never had any interest in trains or trainspotting. But I do remember the machine, used tp cost 1d. What were they actually for ?

Fatfingers that would be for platform tickets we used to get one to do a bit of train spotting. Dek

Quote: Never had any interest in trains or trainspotting. But I do remember the machine, used tp cost 1d. What were they actually for ?

Fatfingers that would be for platform tickets we used to get one to do a bit of train spotting. Dek

No, I meant what was the stamped metal strip meant for...

Sorry mate i miss under stood i dont know about that machine but i can remember a machine that you put money into and it would punch out your name onto a metal strip similar to a dyno machine today. Dek

The site of Snow Hill station was originally Oppenheims Glass Works but it was demolished to make way for the new Great Western Railway station then called Livery Street Station that opened in 1852. In 1858 it was renamed Snow Hill Station and by 1863 The Great Western Hotel had been added as the new frontage (photo 1). Snow Hill had a new station to go with its new name and a huge new arched roof of steel and glass spanned its two platforms which were linked by a wooden bridge in 1871 (photo 2).

Snow Hill was never intended to be Birmingham’s major GWR station but political infighting between the railway companies prevented the GWR from reaching its intended terminus at Curzon St. Trains arriving at Snow Hill from the south did so by use of the Snow Hill Tunnel. This tunnel was previously a cutting but this cutting was later roofed over and the Great Western Arcade was built on top (photo 3).

Between the years of 1906 & 1912 Snow Hill underwent a massive rebuild a very grand building that was intended to compete with New Street station was built to replace the old one. It had a massive glass arched roof booking hall ( photo 4) and oak lined waiting rooms with restaurants and bars ( photo 5) . There were eight through platforms and 4 bay platforms and a further fish platform and goods areas at the bottom end of the station.

The report by Dr Richard Beeching in 1963 “The Reshaping of British Railways” recommended that Snow Hill Station be closed so in 1967 all long distance traffic through Snow Hill was transferred to New Street and local traffic terminated at Moor Street with the tunnel closing at that time also. Despite public outcry the Great Western Hotel was demolished in 1969 and the station itself in 1977.

Phil

]
19e9e53b.jpg
929863e2.jpg

]
a7efd7ed.jpg
176a6892.jpg

]
4d91d886.jpg

Phil
I am not sure if i have put this one on before, but it shows two pictures I took during demolition of the station from almost exactly the same position as yours of the booking hall
mike
0demolitionofsnowhillstation.jpg

2demolitionofsnowhillstation.jpg

Mike

I don't remember you posting those before, though I think there are others of the demolition of the station scattered around the site. It really was a crime when they demolished the station, but they used the excuse that it was in too dangerous a condition to save. The only things that they did save were the booking hall sign that was refurbished by the forums own John Knight and the main gates both of which I now believe are installed at the refurbished Moor St Station.

Phil

I was going to do a separate thread on this building, but I decided that as the Hotel and the railway station were intertwined with each other throughout their history that I would include it here.

The Great Western Hotel Was built on the front of Snow Hill Station and opened in 1863, it was designed by J.A.Chatwin. Though the hotel was described as elegant, comfortable and cheap (photo 1) it didn’t prove to be a popular hotel. So a decision was made early in the 20th century to incorporate the hotel into the station. In 1905 the Hotel was closed whilst the new station was constructed and the hotel remodelled.

The new Hotel was to be used partially for administration and the rest as a hotel. A new entrance was built through the hotel (photo 2) to the station from Colmore Row into the booking hall of the station. The hotel closed and was demolished some two years prior to the station itself.

Phil

]
5040f0b4.jpg
8e401d72.jpg

My modern shots of Snow Hill on Flickr

Where the hotel was - now 1 and 9 Colmore Row

One Colmore Row by ell brown, on Flickr

The square in front of the current entrance - the canopies was removed several years ago

9 Colmore Row - Birmingham Snow Hill Station by ell brown, on Flickr

Down Livery Street - the modern car park now called Snow Hill Car Park (formerly Livery Street Car Park)

Snow Hill Car Park - Livery Street - One Snowhill by ell brown, on Flickr

Below the car park is the only section of the old station left, this old wall with bricked up entrance on Livery Street

The last remaining part of the old Great Western Railway Snow Hill Station by ell brown, on Flickr

On the other side of Great Charles Street Queensway, back onto Livery Street - the new second entrance (recently opened)

Birmingham Snow Hill - second entrance by ell brown, on Flickr

Outside the modern Platform's 1, 2 and 3 with the new second entrance

Birmingham Snow Hill - second entrance by ell brown, on Flickr

A few more old surviving details

More shots of the old bricked up entrance on Livery Street

The last remaining part of the old Great Western Railway Snow Hill Station - old entrance on Livery Street by ell brown, on Flickr

Above is coat of arms of the GWR

The last remaining part of the old Great Western Railway Snow Hill Station - GWR coat of arms by ell brown, on Flickr

Under the bridges near the Queensway tunnel

Tunnel under Snow Hill Station, Birmingham by ell brown, on Flickr

This plaque used to nearby the above location, but haven't seen when I last went down here

Birmingham's last public hanging - Local History Plate No. 2 by ell brown, on Flickr

I'm struggling here to see how the modern development of Snow Hill has been a benefit? Can anyone explain how this has been an improvement? Viv.

Mostly it is modern offices where the hotel once stood.

Was what they designed in the '80s.

Useful for trains from Worcester, Kidderminster, Stratford upon Avon, Leamingon Spa and London Marylebone.
And the Midland Metro to Wolverhampton via West Bromwich.

It has lost all those other national routes. Sure it used to go to Oxford and London Paddington.

Don't Chiltern Railways still use Snow Hill?

This is an interesting thread - stuff I never knew about Snow Hill Station. "Meet Me Under The Clock!"

Big Gee

This photo of the Snow Hill entrance is a favourite of mine. I went through that entrance on my way to start 2 years National Service, also used to hang about there with a crowd on the way home from the ice rink.
Snow_Hill_Entrance.jpg

Whichever way you look at it, the new station is no substitute for the earlier Snow Hill. The old station just oozed character, even in the derelict state in post 13. Sad, but wonderful pictures Astonite and oldMohawk of the old place. Viv.

Back