• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill Station

Platform 7 in 1963 as a carpark!

Attachments

• SnowHillPlatform7asCarPark.jpg
    SnowHillPlatform7asCarPark.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:
Even in the 1960s it does show how how grand Snow Hill Station used to be. Still clean and well cared for. Find me an item form nowadays that would fit the bill without an unneccessary huge price tag!

A handbill from 1910 advertising the GWR's new route from Paddington t Birmingham.

Thanks David for this handbill. In 1910 (One hundred years ago!) GWR were runing Snow Hill to London in 2 hours. Today Chiltern Railways are taking over 2 hours to London but admittedly with more stops and possibly a longer route. They are planning to speed up the service to 100 minutes beating Virgin's prePendolino times and almost matching BR's NewStreet to Euston timings

Decline of the station in the 60s and 70s.

Second, demolition of the Great Western Hotel nearly complete in 1970
Third, Platform 4 in 1968

Great_Western_Hotel_Demolition_1970.jpg

Snow_Hill_Platform_4_1968.jpg

Last edited:
This is probably the best place to put the series of photographs I took around Snow Hill before it was demolished. Possibly some of you can give a more exact date from the Queensway roadworks or scaffolding around the frontage. I'd be pleased for any suggestions

.PS I have now reposted the photos in the next few posts. they may not be in exactly the same order, so if any comments appear out of place, that is the reason.

4__Livery_St__Down_from_Snow_Hill_station.jpg

3__Side_Snow_hill_Station.jpg

2__Queensway_under_snow_hill_tracks.jpg

1__Queensway_away_from_snow_hill_tracks_towards_town_hall.jpg

0__Livery_St__By_station.jpg

. Possibly some of you can give a more exact date from the Queensway roadworks or scaffolding around the frontage. I'd be pleased for any suggestions

Hi Mike-great pics!
On my trainspotting trips to Snow Hill I can remember the Gt Charles Street bridge widening,which involved the temporary dismantling of the canopies on the platforms over the bridge.
I've found a photo in the book "Britain's Rail Super Centres:Birmingham" (P.Collins/Ian Allan Publishing) showing the bridge widening in progress.The photo is dated 8 June 1963,so I guess the bridge widening work was carried out during 1963 and 1964.

Thanks Laurie, but the bridge widening must have been carried out before the highway was widened/built, as I didn't come to Brum till late september 1967, and wouldn't have been taking photographs till 1968 (I don't think i had a camera with me till april 68).
anyway here's a few more

15__Lower_front_Snow_hill_Station.jpg

14__Lower_front_Snow_hill_Station.jpg

13__Lower__front_Snow_Hill_station.jpg

12__Upper_front_Snow_Hill_station.jpg

11__Upper_front_Snow_Hill_station.jpg

10__Front_Snow_hill_Station.jpg

Fantastic sets of photos Mike!Keep 'em coming!
You're right that the railway bridge widening was carried out before the roadworks got underway.
One of the concernsthat the railway authorities had at the time,was the possible damage to signalling cables during the work.
Attached is a pic I obtained a while back,taken of the Snow Hill side during the demolition of the station.
I've lost the name of the photographer I'm afraid,so apologies to him.

Last four of the film
Number 30 i'm pretty sure appeared 40 years later as the site where "the ones in black" captured people in the episode of Survivors shown 2 weeks ago

30__Under_rail_bridge_on_queensway~0.jpg

At a slightly later date the station was demolished. here are a few from then that I took.

4_demolition_of_snow_hill_station.jpg

3_demolition_of_snow_hill_station.jpg

2_demolition_of_snow_hill_station~0.jpg

1_demolition_of_snow_hill_station.jpg

0_demolition_of_snow_hill_station~0.jpg

Last edited:
Fabulous pictures Mike, thankyou. I have discovered some 'operational' photos from during the 1950's not duplicated on here on one of the photo-images websites (not Getty,though) and will put up the links when i can decipher my handwriting from 3 weeks ago!

I remember-from thirty years ago now-doing the night security on what was left of the station (i.e the NCP car park bit). I really wished I had taken my camera with me then. i naturally assumed the remaining superb architecture would when redeveloped be saved and integrated into whatever was to follow. How wrong I was!!

Here's the aforementioned link. Rather than write out hugely long number, best go to the www.scienceandsociety.co.uk homepage and type in Birmingham Snow Hill into the search box centre. There are even more I've seen elsewhere but it may take a few days to track them down

Richie.

Last edited:
Absolutely wonderful pictures in this thread,thank you to all who have contributed.
Back in 1961/62,i and a pal or two would,when we had the money,walk across the bomb peck,from Great Russel Street,and get a halfpenny childs to Snow Hill,the bus stopped bang outside that wonderful,and somewhat(to us),mysterious place,had many a happy afternoon in the school holidays wandering around,taking in the sights/sounds,and smells,thanks once again all.

Mike

What can I say about these latest photos that I haven't said before. They are no less than what I have become accustomed to expect from you perfection.

How lucky are we that a non native of Birmingham would spend his free time tripping around Birmingham recording the demise of some of our historic buildings along with some of the slum area streets that we will never see the like of again.

Mike I have only one more thing to say, when are we going to see a book.

Phil

In the 50s I used to go with my nan from Snow Hill Station to visit relatives in Hampshire. I used to love riding on the old steam trains, partly because I used to get car sick but could travel on the train ok. Later in the 60s when my nan went to live in Brighton, I would take my young boys to meet her off the train when she came to visit. I can still imagine the smell of the trains and hear the loud hissing and the smoke as the brakes were put on. I loved the noise the train made going along the tracks. The new trains don't match up in any way.

I went to Minehead today and saw this G W R king engine there at the West Somerset Railway, in its working days it would have been through Snow Hill a lot of times.

Here are a couple showing the Great Western Hotel. The first was around 1912-1914 and the second from 1968.

Great_Western_Hotel_1912-1914_281250_x_79929.jpg

Have a close look at the man in dark glasses in the light suit carrying a bag. Straight out of the Krays.

Great_Western_Hotel_1960s_281250_x_86029.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple showing the Great Western Hotel. The first was around 1912-1914 and the second from 1968.
Hi Dave, when you look at old frontage and compare
it with now, it wasnt a very good swap was? Nice to see the old photos, I bet the camera used was a bit
larger than the ones we have nowadays, bye Bernard

Hi Bernard, there's an "Attached Thumbnail" message but nothing to click on?
Here's one I think has been on before. 1915 looking down Snow Hill. Strange to think that my Grandad had just got shot in Flanders and was home to recuperate (and get married!)

Attachments

• Snow_Hill_Station_on_left_281250_x_76929.jpg
    Snow_Hill_Station_on_left_281250_x_76929.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
Snow HIll brings back memories to me, in 1951/52 after a 48 or 72 hour pass my Wife (then my girl friend) would see me off on Platform 7 about midnight on my return to RAF Bletchley. Happy days - and nights !!! Eric

THE ONLY PLACE IN BRUM YOU COULD GET A LATE DRINK ON A SUNDAY WAS TO BUY A 1d PLATFORM TICKET AND USE THE BUFFET . OR YOU COULD WAIT TILL THE COFFEE BAR VAN OPENED AT THE ENTRANCE ,HAD MANY A LATE NIGHT WITH SOME VERY GOOD PAL 'S AFTER A NIGHT'S SKATING AT THE OLD RINK, DRINKING COFFEE OUT SIDE THE MAIN ENTRANCE.

Back