• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill Station

Well it was dated this month, but I suppose it could have been written beforehand. There is so much with the tramway system, either planed or replaced, it is hard to guess.

Here are a few more photos of the site of Snow Hill Station - firstly from the end of platforms 10 & 12:-
1631523097131.png

Next looking into bay platforms 9 & 10 - Bull St in the background:-
1631523152169.png

Somewhere by platform 11 I think - around where the metro stop would be today?
1631523257432.png

This is the one of the tunnels at the south end of the station - possibly this one which may have been the fish siding or Engine Spur?
1631523924008.png
1631523525249.png

Great photos Mark, but also sad. I know one of the tunnel entrances was where they bought the used bank notes down in the night. Im certain its the one on the right. The left one housed the horse stables, and blacksmiths shop at one time.

Here are a couple of earlier photos glued together to show the whole of the south end tunnels:-
1631622964406.png
Not sure, but I think the bank tunnels were on the right - the middle tunnels went through to Moor St, and the left tunnel is the one in the previous photograph in post #843.
From the Warwickshire Railways website, this track plan shows the same location:-
1631622663645.png
Can someone with more knowledge than me confirm this please?

Attachments

• 1631622447754.png
    1631622447754.png
    2 MB · Views: 11
The Bank tunnel is the arched one on the right, i believe there was a platform in there. I hadnt realised there was a fourth portal (extreme right ) the square one, can anyone enlighten me on this one ?

On Snow Hill itself, there were a row of shops and industrial units under the station before the parcels area - these were awaiting demolition in these photographs:-
1631788387405.png
1631789101193.png
1631788449060.png
1631788473014.png
1631788541049.png
1631788567096.png
Good job no-one walked underneath this one on a windy day!!!

Attachments

• 1631788419355.png
    1631788419355.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
On one of the walls inside is the remains of a station timetable - even with reprocessing I cannot make out any detail other than the large hour numbers, but judging from the number of trains I am guessing this is from mid-60's - before main line closure in 1967:-
1633423916662.png
Can anyone put an accurate date on this please?

Other posters were also still visible:-
1633424080449.png

Great photos again Mark, out of curiosity, would the entrances in Great Charles Street have led to these cellars and parcels areas ? I know there are locked doors there now, i wonder who has the key, and what exists behind these locked doors ??

There was an entrance with a small ticket office in Gt. Charles Street under the viaduct which connected with the second of the two passenger subways. I think that entrance was only open during rush hours.

There was an entrance with a small ticket office in Gt. Charles Street under the viaduct which connected with the second of the two passenger subways. I think that entrance was only open during rush hours.
David. I think you are correct! I vaguely remember trying to get out there after a day train spotting. If I remember it was after 7 and I was planning on walking home to save the bus fare. Always went in the main entrance because that is where the bus stopped.

David. I think you are correct! I vaguely remember trying to get out there after a day train spotting. If I remember it was after 7 and I was planning on walking home to save the bus fare. Always went in the main entrance because that is where the bus stopped.
Thank you for your reply. Sometimes when I think of things from my past I sometimes wonder if I imagined it. It gets frustrating when I do remember something and people say it is impossible. One of my favourite memories is of seeing the Cambrian Coast Express at Snow Hill double headed with two 'Kings'. Whenever I mention that, I get told that it would never happen, but if Wolverhampton needed to move an engine to OOC what would they do with it?

Thank you for your reply. Sometimes when I think of things from my past I sometimes wonder if I imagined it. It gets frustrating when I do remember something and people say it is impossible. One of my favourite memories is of seeing the Cambrian Coast Express at Snow Hill double headed with two 'Kings'. Whenever I mention that, I get told that it would never happen, but if Wolverhampton needed to move an engine to OOC what would they do with it?
David, I don’t remember two Kings but many times the CCE ran double headers, always Namers as we called them!

berwyn station,

a more modern CCE double header 2 37s:(But a great sound and when they go over the barmouth bridge it shakes
Cambrian-Coast-RW-Jones-1.jpg

Back