• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill Station

It's quite a surprise for me to see this line running under M&S. I had always thought that the trains stopped at Moor St.
Moor Street station was opened for local trains on the Warwickshire lines to relieve the preasure on the tunnel to Snow Hill. Originally there was no connection between the stations at Snow Hill and Moor Street. The Snow Hill lines ran past Moor Street non stop. Finally when the tunnel reopened they put platforms on the Snow Hill lines, now platforms 1 and 2 of the present Moor Street station. The old Moor Street platforms were left to rot until Chiltern Railways came along and and restored the station to its Edwardian glory.

Moor Street station was opened for local trains on the Warwickshire lines to relieve the preasure on the tunnel to Snow Hill. Originally there was no connection between the stations at Snow Hill and Moor Street. The Snow Hill lines ran past Moor Street non stop. Finally when the tunnel reopened they put platforms on the Snow Hill lines, now platforms 1 and 2 of the present Moor Street station. The old Moor Street platforms were left to rot until Chiltern Railways came along and and restored the station to its Edwardian glory.
David, thank you for that explanation and pleased that the station had been restored!

It certainly was Ann, i walked it in the 80s just before it re-opened. There were knowledgable guides in the tunnel at the time. We were told that the tunnel roof was sandblasted, and they removed six inches of soot from it. If they had bottled it and sold it as souveniers they would have made a fortune. From the proceeds of this walk, the monies were donated to the Birmingham Christmas tree fund.

Everything about this station’s closure is utterly sad, even down to the filling in of holes created by the removal of the tracks that had carried so much traffic. Then to hand it over to car parking and say it“will be a car park by Christmas” is so void of regret. All part of the moving forward, new Birmingham philosophy I suppose. Viv.

B2ABDBF7-C2EC-4D97-A18B-F8B6B61D79C0.jpeg2E4E6CE3-DBEB-4403-896D-BF2AD5738D33.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive.

Everything about this station’s closure is utterly sad, even down to the filling in of holes created by the removal of the tracks that had carried so much traffic. Then to hand it over to car parking and say it“will be a car park by Christmas” is so void of regret. All part of the moving forward, new Birmingham philosophy I suppose. Viv.

View attachment 160943View attachment 160944
Source: British Newspaper Archive.
Viv, another great piece of national maybe global history gone forever!

On larger stations there was, at one time, a short interval where the train stopped - just in time for passengers to get a drink and refreshments. :grinning:

Those who regularly travelled will recall the methods employed to serve large quantities of teas in this brief time. For those who don't recall this, or never witnessed it, it comprised filling about two dozen cups of tea, already milked, in one fell swoop - a large teapot was used to ensure all cups were filled.

On larger stations there was, at one time, a short interval where the train stopped - just in time for passengers to get a drink and refreshments. :grinning:

Those who regularly travelled will recall the methods employed to serve large quantities of teas in this brief time. For those who don't recall this, or never witnessed it, it comprised filling about two dozen cups of tea, already milked, in one fell swoop - a large teapot was used to ensure all cups were filled.
I remember the large teapot and all the cups but never realized what they were for.

Here are another set of photos from the late 70's of the site of the then-demolished Snow Hill station. For once the sun is shining, so plenty of detail to see:-
1631180093432.png
1631180136093.png
As you can see, the roof pillars are still visible on the platforms:-
1631180260384.png
1631180311872.png
These were bay platforms 3 & 4 - I believe the last to be used:-
1631180431948.png

And this is the end of platform 2, next to Livery St:-
1631180513674.png

There was also a trolley service which serviced passengers on the train whilst it was at the platform. As a schoolboy a pal of mine and I befriended the young man, whose name I recall as Archie, who ran this service from the station buffet. I think he was a student and this was his "Saturday job".

stunning photos mark....thank goodness you took them all....yet another lost chance for birmingham to save another iconic building...nothing is safe now except for the town hall and the council house :rolleyes:

lyn

If you read up on the history of the station, apparently by the time of demolition the whole structure was slowly sliding down the hill - some of the bolts holding the roof up were down to less than half an inch in diameter allegedly due to years of vibration. So it may have fell down if if was not knocked down.
Having said that - age does not spell definite doom. I took these at Tyseley station last Sunday morning whilst waiting for my tip slot - plenty of rust, decay and weeds on view but the station is still open:-
1631186338625.png
1631186411321.png
1631186571814.png
1631186696655.png

as you say mark age does not always spell doom...nice photos of tyseley station and just look at what has been done to little moor st station...i am quite sure that snow hill station could have been saved and how wonderful that would have been...ok it may not have been practical given how many people use the trains now but surely some small part could have been retained...oh well as with many of our other historical buildings its too late now and we will never see the likes of them again...

lyn

I do not know the date of the photo in Post 636, but two of the cars, with centre carriage or two, ran between Cardiff and Moor Street in the early 1950's. One car, from memory, had a buffet. It did not last for long as passenger numbers were far greater than the capacity of the trains.

I do not know the date of the photo in Post 636, but two of the cars, with centre carriage or two, ran between Cardiff and Moor Street in the early 1950's. One car, from memory, had a buffet. It did not last for long as passenger numbers were far greater than the capacity of the trains.
Alan
You are spot on, the idea was superb, smooth running AEC engine two car diesel on a spectacular run to Cardiff, complete with buffet in the one car, problem it became too popular and the train and buffet could not cope with the number of passengers. In hindsight if only.............
Bob

The latest on Snow Hill:

At least place still exists in name albeit in a smaller form, whereas many prominent Birmingham industries and buildings have been swept away as redundant leaving little or no trace of them.
It contains a terminus for the metro ?? Are they planning not to reopen the bit that has temporarily closed (only joking, but do you think this piece was written before the extension to new st was open?)

Back