• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

View attachment 78419 My dad used to take me there in the school hols. I believe they used to have a bandstand because I vaguely remember sitting on a grass listening to music. Can anyone confirm this for me? Paul, do you remember being wheeled around in your pram then?

There certainly was a bandstand Maggs.
Thank you Trevor, and what a lovely bandstand it was.

My dad told me about this clock, I was always fascinated by the idea of it, but to see an actual photo is wonderful, unfortunately he died 4 years ago, but at last I have seen what was described to me, thank you.
Christine Q

This brings back memories to me of bilberry pie made from the Lickeys berries by my mum after our Sunday outings. We used to go on the team, and dad would send my older sister and brother and me on the tram before them, so they could spend a little time on their wn, young families wouldn't do that now!

Thanks for the return if good memories,

Christine Q

1995.jpg-----Cannon Hill Park. (2).jpg-----Cannon Hill Park..jpg-----Early 1900s.jpg
Cannon Hill is still a nice park today but I think it was more tranquil a few years ago.

I like this New Street view Stitcher. I feel like I could almost be jostling long the pavement with these people. Viv.

Hello Viv, I always think that even with the crowds in those days it all seemed more controlled and comfortable. I know therte was a lot of hustle and bustle but everyone knew where they were going and were so polite to each other.

New Street 1923. Re: See Birmingham by Post Card

Went to Spitalfields Market yesterday and bought 3 postcards of Birmingham. Found that 2 of them have already been on the Forum but could not find this one. The message on the post card was written on 5th June 1923, View looks along New Street towards the Town Hall. Greaves shop seems to be on the corner of New Street and Corporation Street and sold luggage. Hope this is of interest. Dave
P1010857 (2).jpg

I wonder if this 'Greaves' shop was the same as the one in Old Square in the 1960's - Perry Greaves? Sold Jewellery mainly, but did leatherware a little if I remember rightly. Lovely postcard, not seen this one before.

Nice to see two-way traffic in that part of New Street, Dave.

Stitcher, I wouldn't agree that they always knew where they were going (although most probably did), but they were always polite. I could live in those days again, if but for a short time!

Maurice

Two postcards of New Street bought at a family history fair at Woking, Surrey this morning. The first one does not have a legible date but is probably early 1910s. The second one is dated 1937. Dave
P1020082.JPGP1020084.JPG

Regarding the first postcard, combridge is only listed at 5-6 New St from 1904 , not being there in 1903. They are still there in 1921, but would seem to be soon after they were first there. Two doors away (no 8)up high above the coat of arms/warrant sign there is a board that seems to read Bells (?) house. Cannot associate this with anyone listed there, which seems Pattison & co , confectioners

Regarding the first postcard, combridge is only listed at 5-6 New St from 1904 , not being there in 1903. They are still there in 1921, but would seem to be soon after they were first there. Two doors away (no 8)up high above the coat of arms/warrant sign there is a board that seems to read Bells (?) house. Cannot associate this with anyone listed there, which seems Pattison & co , confectioners
Thanks Mike. I can only read "Art Pottery Emporium" on the shop 2 doors away from Nos 5-6. On the windows high above Combridge booksellers, I can make out on the original postcard "SWA HOTE STOC". Would it have been the Swan Hotel stockroom? I cannot read the sign high above the coat of arms of No 8, even on the original. Dave

Swan hotel stockroom would certainly fit, and it is unlikely something like this would be listed in Kellys, so it is no surprise Its not there. I'm pretty sure of the other sign says "House", but, after fiddling a bit more, do not now think first word is "Bells". See below

new_st_c_1910_combridge_part_signA.jpg

Mike

The sign says Derby House and I would agree that it's no 7 Pattison & Co, here's a better photo though not much better.

Attachments

• City New St (8).JPG
    City New St (8).JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 66
Thanks Phil. At first I thought it was the same photo, as the two coaches are the saem in identical positions, but hte individual walkers are different, so th etwo must have been taken very closely together. Surprised at that as didn't think duplicates were common with wet plates and all the trouble and cost of developing.

Mike

Here is a colour version of the postcard, the shop certainly looks like a confectioner (cake maker) on this one.

Attachments

• City New St PC.jpg
    City New St PC.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 62
This postcard of the Birmingham Coat of Arms and Corporation Street is dated September 25th 1903. I don't know whether it was unusual at that time to have the message on the front of the card. The message reads: "My dear Florrie, this is a picture of our B'ham Arches so I thought you would like it for your album. Hope you are not very disappointed that Dolly is not coming home till Monday. Fond love from Auntie Amy". I hadn't heard about the Birmingham Arches in Corporation Street. Dave.

P1020117.jpg

This postcard is of Queen's Park, Harborne. It looks more like a painting than an actual photograph. There is no written message or stamp on the back of the card. The card was issued by Raphael Tuck & Sons, "Oilette" Postcard 7084, Birmingham Parks. Also printed on the back is "Queen's Park, Harborne. This is a residential suburb in the county of Staffordshire but included within the city of Birmingham. Twenty acres are here laid out in a pretty park where a fountain plays, seats are erected, and well-filled flower beds are provided for the pleasure of residents. The famous artist, David Cox, is buried in Harborne churchyard". Dave
P1020125 (2).JPG

Two postcards of a tram in Corporation Street. Neither postcard is dated but the one with the steam tram will be the older card. In the "A Happy Yuletide" postcard there is a shop on the right-hand side, Whateley's Ltd, that sells artificial teeth. Dave.
P1020127.jpgP1020129.jpg

This postcard is of Queen's Park, Harborne. It looks more like a painting than an actual photograph. There is no written message or stamp on the back of the card. The card was issued by Raphael Tuck & Sons, "Oilette" Postcard 7084, Birmingham Parks. Also printed on the back is "Queen's Park, Harborne. This is a residential suburb in the county of Staffordshire but included within the city of Birmingham. Twenty acres are here laid out in a pretty park where a fountain plays, seats are erected, and well-filled flower beds are provided for the pleasure of residents. The famous artist, David Cox, is buried in Harborne churchyard". Dave
View attachment 95007
farmerdave I have copied this onto the Harborne thread. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29580&page=36&highlight=Harborne

Back