• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Hi stich;
those what they called cable cars was trams and some of them tracks was still dopwn on the rd for many years later
and the old blue and cream trolley buses was useing the over head cable to run up and down to brum into city
right up until 1957 8 as i recall them before they abolished the over head cables and removed the odd one or two tracks
that was remaining as i recall;and so the new busses of today can run freely with no obstruction
and in those days we used to have steel made curbs which was great compared wih todays brick ones as if a heavvy lorry goes over the corner of it it crushes but them steels with held the pressure best wishes to you and your good ladt stich ; alan astonian;;;

Alan - I don't remember any trolley buses running along Soho Road into town when I grew up in Handsworth and I lived there until 1956.

Judy

Hi jayell but there was it was the west brom buses only
they disbanded them off the rd around 58 it came down the soho rd to the city ; to be quite honest i think it was the wolverhamton bus that came down to birmingham city in those days dark blue and cream in colour alan ;

Alan - I lived in Handsworth just off Soho Hill from 1941 to 1956 and never saw any trolley buses along the Soho Hill/Soho Road. There were trams that ran from Villa Road at the Soho Road end and they went down to Lozells.

Look at this article by our late Peter Walker https://www.handsworthhistory.co.uk/peterwalker.html and this is a paragraph from his article:

During the 1920s the design of the double deck motor bus made great strides, and the new AEC Regent brought out in 1929 proved a winner. But the Soho Road trams continued to run until after the agreement with West Bromwich expired at the end of 1938, owing to a delay in obtaining new replacement buses. The last trams ran on Soho Road on 1 April 1939, replaced next day by buses run jointly by Birmingham and West Bromwich Corporations.

Judy

I don't often disagree with Alan (Astonian) but I am afraid your memory is at fault here, my friend. Birmingham was not a major operator of trolley buses having only the Nechells and Coventry Road routes

I used the buses from Snow Hill to Handsworth Technical School between 1956 and 1958. We avoided the West Brom buses as they were scruffy compared with the Birmingham buses.

I had not noticed the railings David, with those still in place you could well be correct.

Stich thats a good one of "The West End" nice one!! Memories,,,,,Memories specialy Saturday Lunch time and Tuesday nights, Great times mate!!

Bob Summers

Hello Bob, it is really amazing when something we did almost habitually years ago is bought back to mind with a picture. We thought nothing of it when we were doing these things but I find some of the memories rather moving in a strange way.

I went to cannon hill park from a very early age Stitcher my dad would wheel me in my pram, and later we would walk around the lake and visit the birds, and the river rae.
paul

My dad used to take me there in the school hols. I believe they used to have a bandstand because I vaguely remember sitting on a grass listening to music. Can anyone confirm this for me? Paul, do you remember being wheeled around in your pram then?

I have this image in my minds eye maggs, with my dad in a white shirt with his sleeves roll high on his arms and I can hear high screeching (peacocks), I think and see the boating lake with craft, but all a little obscure. Given that mom and dad always said when very young he would wheel me around the park most days in summer. We lived a short distance away off the Pershore Road, in Raglan Rd, Edgbaston. Paul

A very nice image too Paul. You certainly didn't live far from the park, which must have been an obvious place to walk a baby.

Bandstand in Cannon Hill Park.jpg My dad used to take me there in the school hols. I believe they used to have a bandstand because I vaguely remember sitting on a grass listening to music. Can anyone confirm this for me? Paul, do you remember being wheeled around in your pram then?

There certainly was a bandstand Maggs.

There was a band stand in cannon hill park Stitcher, I believe it was on the hill over looking the lake, I do have this vaigue memory of dad in his white shirt above me and being in motion and hearing certain noises.???
paul

Colmore Row..jpg
I suppose St. Phillips is the reason why I think Colmore Row is such a nice road.

This elevated view gives this postcard an interesting aspect to the Bull Ring. It appears to be taken from St Martin's tower

just before WW1. I've looked in the Kelly's that Ancestry makes available to me but I have not been able to

find anything on the Central Hotel (no 16?) or Royal Coronation Waxworks.

I like the splendid motor car halfway down the hill and the tram turning out of Moor Street.

Does anyone know what the large tower on the skyline would be? And where would the crane be working?

Attachments

• BullRingPostCard_opt.jpg
    BullRingPostCard_opt.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 96
Thanks for the link, Mike, there's some interesting info there, I'll take a good look. The Evening Mail view seems to have been taken only a few feet

from my postcard view. There's so much history buried away on this site and it is such a shame that many of the links to photos are now broken.

Ed.

I think it is a little hard on the lads, although I agree with a lot that has been said, but this team did beat Sweden, the first time ever, they did play their hearts out in all the games, but there skill levels from a technical view are well below World class.
paul

Back