• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

stitcher,

It looks as though the "Nathan's clock" is in that picture. It still exists over a jeweller's shop.

David

Hello David, if you know an area well, when you look at a very old photo you can often see familiar things. I did not notice the clock because I was never a townie and when shopping with our mom we did not have time to look at things like that. Thanks for pointing it out.
stitcher

Personally I thnk life was much better years ago, the late 40's and early 50's was my favourite period. people seemed to be more friendly and always willing to help, life was lived at a slower pace, we seemed to be more content with our lot. I realise there was poverty, but we have always had poverty (and probably always will). We lived in Shirley, my father who was fortunate in never being out of work, was a carpenter in the building trade with Bryants, his hobby was furniture making and made most of the furniture in our house. Eric

Hello Eric, I could not agree more and I pointed out a couple of years ago that although we have more technology, people are not happier. Many people talk about their dreadful earlier lives with the back houses, teachers allowed to punish you for bad behaviour and many other things that are noe banned. As they talk about all this they keep referring to fond memories!!! I have no fond memories of anything I did not like or enjoy, my dad was a factory worker and we never went short of food or love. I thoroughly enjoyed my childhood and all my working life. I will continue to look at old photos with remorse because of the way communities and society has died.
St. Phillips (3)..jpg
Another nice one of St. Philips.

That last pic cannot be particularly old because it shows the PO Tower. I notice St Philips had a lot more trees than now and all the better for it. Eric

So what has happened to all the tree's then? I also notice a lot of the flag stones have been taken away and replaced by common slabs. I don't think that area around the Cathedral is a picturesque as it used to be, it's far too open now.

I agree with you maggs, when I visited the Cathedral some years ago I though how open and in places much uglier than when I was a boy.
paul

St. Paul's was once surrounded by lime tree walks and I think some of the first 'hard' pavements appeared around there too. I vote for returning it to how it was with its lime walks and interesting paving. Somehow I doubt that will never happen .... Viv.

Absolutely right Bernard, mixed up St Paul with St Phillip. Sorry all, I meant St. Phillips. Sounds like it was once the place to promonade, but sadly very little of that seems to have survived. Viv.

Viv, I think St Pauls is still surrounded by the tree's isn't it?

Glad you agree with me Paul about the Cathedral not being as pleasant an area as it used to be when we were young. Such a shame that modernity in that city has spoiled some of the special places we remember.

Hi Maggs. Yes at least there is still some greenery. But I think it would be nicer if there were still the avenues of lime trees that once surrounded the church. But that was long, long ago! Viv.

Viv, I was married at that church, so I will have to dig the photo's out and have a look at the tree's as they were. Hopefully it will show them.

Like Viv, I found that fascinating maggs, how marvelous to have that iconic church to marry in, and to have lived in the jewelry quarter, do you have any photos?
paul

This evening (Tuesday 29th) I watched a programme on BBC4 Britain on Film. First film clip was Telly Savalas talking about Birmingham

Like Viv, I found that fascinating maggs, how marvelous to have that iconic church to marry in, and to have lived in the jewelry quarter, do you have any photos?
paul

Hello Paul, I've just put a couple of pics on of my dad and myself on my wedding day at St. Pauls, Unfortunately, none of the pics show a lot of the church.

Back