• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Mike

Its true what you say, I have seen pole ladders, as heavy as they are blow over in high winds and whilst they were being footed. If I used one I would always lash the top to something the first time up it.

Phil

....and now for a completely different view of Birmingham or should I say it's Birmingham folks but not as we know it. Here is an early 1900's view of our namesake in Alabama, USA. (I was tempted to post it as a 'Where is this?' but thought it would be a might too easy fer y'all )

Attachments

• Birmingham_Alabama_skyline_.jpg
    Birmingham_Alabama_skyline_.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
'Underneath the Arches' goes an old song but in July 1907 in Brum arches appeared in the streets to welcome a Royal visit. Here are four of them.

Attachments

• School of Art Arch Kings Visit 1909.jpg
    School of Art Arch Kings Visit 1909.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Bed Trades Arch Kigs Visit 1901.jpg
    Bed Trades Arch Kigs Visit 1901.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 12
  • Cycle Works Arch.jpg
    Cycle Works Arch.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Lamp Makers Arch Kings Visit 1909.jpg
    Lamp Makers Arch Kings Visit 1909.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 12
....and now for a completely different view of Birmingham or should I say it's Birmingham folks but not as we know it. Here is an early 1900's view of our namesake in Alabama, USA. (I was tempted to post it as a 'Where is this?' but thought it would be a might too easy fer y'all
icon7.gif
)

Mike,
Is this the same photo our own Birmingham City Council used on their leaflets recently to promote the Parks and Community Services?

Richie

Richie, sorry I can't answer that one as I didn't get to see the leaflets you mention. Maybe someone else could tell us.
Mike

Its very hard to find a photo to put on here now, its a weekends work to check to see if its been on before.

I don't think this one has, the canals off Broad Street before the renovation. They look a little different now.

Phil

Attachments

• City Gas St Basin Before Renovation.jpg
    City Gas St Basin Before Renovation.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 14
as Pmc said takes too long now what a great thread lol my apologies if this has been on before but just found a couple of old postcards pics so have put em on

Hope I'm not duplicating. Martineau Street 1939.

Ann

Attachments

• City Martineau St 1950.JPG
    City Martineau St 1950.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 19
Edmund Street Birmingham University abt. 1925.

Ann

Attachments

• birmingham_university__edmund_st___c_1925[1].jpg
    birmingham_university__edmund_st___c_1925[1].jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 8
Great Pictures Ann. Have not seen either before. The Martineau Street one must be looking down towards Dale End. I was around in 1939 but only a baby but remember the terminus for the 10 tram well. The opening on the left must have been the rest of Union Passage that went to Bull Street possibly. It would have been cut when Martineau St. was put in.
The picture of Edmund Street...well what can you say...irrevocably lost to silliness. They could still be around to delight us today but we have all been there before.

Rupert,

I would think that it is Martineau Street looking down to Dale End.
And the Edmund Street photo makes me sad. If only they could have left this area of Birmingham alone, by the Council House, Paradise Street etc., and Brum could have still looked like an historic city. But, as you say.....

Ann

One of Victoria Square (Then Council House Square) The Festival of 1888.

Attachments

• img304.jpg
    img304.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 12
The Bull Ring in 1939

Ann

Attachments

• City Bull Ring - 1939[1].jpg
    City Bull Ring - 1939[1].jpg
    140 KB · Views: 13
Thank you Rupert. Glad you enjoyed them.

Ann

And two more. Corporation Street and Bull Street Junction in 1930. And Bull Street looking from High Street abt. 1888.

Attachments

• City Corporation St site of Rackhams.jpg
    City Corporation St site of Rackhams.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 16
  • City Bull St c1890 .jpg
    City Bull St c1890 .jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 14
Wow! what jems. Two way traffic on Corporation Street and NO Rackhams. The one of Dale End is simply marvelous...what can you say...even a cartload of coal.

In the distance at the top of Bull Street you can just vaguely pick out what was before Lewis's possibly.

There is a lot going on in both those photos, Rupert. That's what I like about them.

Ann

The Old Square, with Upper Priory on the right, about 1890.
And The Old Square from Corporation Street about 1903.

Ann

Attachments

• City Old Square 1895.JPG
    City Old Square 1895.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 9
  • City Old Square 1903 (2).jpg
    City Old Square 1903 (2).jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 9
Who remembers the old Sodazone in Broad Street then?. This view dates back to the 1950's.

Attachments

• City Broad St soda fountain on left.JPG
    City Broad St soda fountain on left.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 15
a couple more the Grand Hotel and the Gpo building

Attachments

• City Colmore Row Grand Hotel.jpg
    City Colmore Row Grand Hotel.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 7
  • City Victoria Square General Post Office.jpg
    City Victoria Square General Post Office.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 7
Great photos, thanks for posting them. The one of Broad Street is
taken from a different angle to those I have seen before. We used to go and get our ration books renewed at the building on the left hand side with the pillars. Is the green area with the seats at the end called the Peace Garden?

I remember going there for the ration books too Jennyann. I loved the area around there in those days. I was told that with all those bright whiteish buildings Brum city was sometimes called 'Little Jerusalem' does anyone else remember that saying?

The 110 does go to Tamworth via Gravelly Hill, Erdington and Sutton Coldfield. Takes our mom about one and half hours to get to our house from Saltley.

Jemina

Days Crystal Palace Concert Hall was opened on the 18th of October 1862 on the former site of The White Swan public House Smallbrook St. Thats all the information I have.

Phil

Jemima and Mike Jee,

You will find as a helpful companion the following link:

www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/Birmingham/EmpirePalaceTheatreBirmingham.htm

That link will also provide you with a wealth of detail regarding theatres and music halls not only in Birmingham but throughout the country which were built in Victorian and Edwardian days, some of which exist in differing uses to the current day.

Incidentally, I'm assisting the owner of the site Matthew Lloyd, the great-grandson of the theatre impresario whose name is that of the title, in his modern research of theatres which became cinemas, mostly those in Central London. If anyone has any actual artefacts of Birmingham venues especially from the very early days, Mr.Lloyd via his website would be very keen to hear.

Richie.

Last edited:
Back