• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

While in the Scott Arms area, down Newton Road

old n 15th March 2009

Sorry wrong thread will try again

Attachments

• newton rd.JPG
    newton rd.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Phil, I have a either a picture or the story somewhere about Assindas Tripe House, Digbeth. When the tripe was ready she apparantly rang a hand bell to let all the locals know.

Stitcher

I have to be honest, if I heard the bell I would be heading in the opposite direction. I cannot stand anything like that, Chitterlings, Hodge, Brawn, Pigs Trotters, even faggots turn my stomach.

Even though I ate most of them when young a choice of eating them or going hungry. I wouldn't go near them now.

Phil

Stitcher

I have to be honest, if I heard the bell I would be heading in the opposite direction. I cannot stand anything like that, Chitterlings, Hodge, Brawn, Pigs Trotters, even faggots turn my stomach.

Even though I ate most of them when young a choice of eating them or going hungry. I wouldn't go near them now.

Phil

Phil, I'd be going in the same direction, but at a gallop! Faggots I can tolerate but any form of offal, trotters etc would have me heaving. Even liver, kidneys, heart and the like. I'd rather walk to the chip shop. Or run, even!

Ian

Ernie

You are lucky you can afford Cod, what do you do take a second mortgage out on the house?

Phil

Strange, when I was a kid I hated any sort of offal and root vegetables. Now I love them all but admit I am looked on as peculiar by many people.
I am on a life long hunt for the perfect fish and chips. Found some that came close but still looking.( Must be eaten with bread and marg. and a pot of tea.)

Must say something about the thread......There are no Tripehouses where I live.

Last edited:
Mike see 44# Corporation Street spent many a time standing at the 05 Bus Stop Perry Common after Saturday shopping with Mom happy Days

Know what you mean Alf, Saturday was the day to be in town shopping and riding crowded buses home. Always felt more special than a weekday visit.
Mike

A dreaded postcard artist has been at work on this colour tinted view of New Street sent in 1937. Spot the mistake!

David, Stitcher and Ray,It was indeed the red on the buses instead of blue. How did they get it so wrong - because many postcard publishers were down souf and as London buses are red so everyone elses must be the same they thought. Shows though what the buses might have looked like if the Corporation had sold out to the Midland Red!
Mike

Phil:

With you 105% on that yukkie stuff! I don't eat any meat other than chicken or turkey these days and can't even stand the smell of lamb cooking, which amazes our Greek friends. Too far south for cod, of course, but the local sole is a good substitute.

Regards,

Maurice

A busy day outside New Street Station in 1895. Plenty of buses about though, enough to cope with the crowd. I would have thought that a fare of 1d to Balsall Heath from New Street was quite expensive.

Phil

Attachments

• City New Street Station  1895 .jpg
    City New Street Station 1895 .jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 15
Looking at that picture makes me wonder if the noon stage had arrived yet from Denver. Gary Cooper or James Stewart are n't in the shot either.

It must have been a pretty leisurely journey in those days. The much longer distance train ride probably took less time than the ride from the station. Although it is probably viewed as quaint now; the advent of the steam tram must have been viewed as a great innovation then..

Rupert

I wouldn't have fancied all those cobbled roads on those wooden wheels. By the time I reached Balsall Heath I would have been like a quivering jelly.

Phil

The junction of Moor St and Dale End in this photo was taken in 886. Moor Street was once known as Mole St.

Phil

Attachments

• City Moor St- Dale End 1886 once known as Mole St. .jpg
    City Moor St- Dale End 1886 once known as Mole St. .jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 12
Somewhere to stay on the Hagley Road in the 1950's. This post card was available from Reception to guests at the Norfolk Hotel.

Attachments

• The Norfolk Hotel.jpg
    The Norfolk Hotel.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 11
Interesting to see that photo of the Norfolk Hotel Mike. I used to live in Norfolk Road in 1958/59 - about the time this photo was taken. Always used to catch the bus into town just along the road from the Norfolk, so it was good to see it again.

Judy

I think that the Dale End/Moore St. location has been on here before but not that photo maybe. That must be Dale End beyond the lamp post and you can make out the buildings on the 1890 survey map. I stayed at the Norfolk a couple of times and remember it well although that was more than a few years ago. I must have a photo of the Norfolk somewhere circa 1976. It looks like it is called the Apollo now. Think THe Norfolk was a better name. It was a quiet decent business hotel back then. Nope, I am looking down at the wrong corner. It's still called the Norfolk.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...id=10098&ox=2459&oy=1073&zm=1&czm=1&x=345&y=9

Above is the 1890 survey of Dale End & Moore St area for easy ref. Moore St. is the one with the dashed line on it and the pointy bit where it intersects with Dale End would be where the old shop is I think. So stand in the road in the morning and look west. The picture is what you would have seen.

Continuing.............. the section of Lichfield St from Old Square to Newton St. Just prior to demolition and renaming as Corporation St.

Phil

Attachments

• City Lichfield St (Corporation St) 1880 (9).JPG
    City Lichfield St (Corporation St) 1880 (9).JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 13
continuing...............

I am posting this wonderful photo, not because of the Post Office building or the old bus as fine as they are, but because of that fantastic pole ladder. It must be a lot longer than we can see because somebody must be working off it as some people below are looking up.

How ever did they manage to get that through town, well at least it wasn't so busy in those days.

Having had some dealings with pole ladders, all I can say is I wouldn't have liked to have to put it up there.

Phil

Attachments

• City Easy Row os the General Post Office 1904  .jpg
    City Easy Row os the General Post Office 1904 .jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 15
The junction of Moor St and Dale End in this photo was taken in 886. Moor Street was once known as Mole St.

Phil
I went to the Old Birmingham school of Music in 1973 before it was knocked down .. was this building on That site before it was built ?
Jean

The Post Office building in the picture was the one between Hill Street and Pinfold Street. The pic also shows New Street going off on the left.
So much for the place. Now the date: between 1904 and 1907 - that type of bus (Milnes-Daimler) was delivered in two batches in 1904 and 1905. but they were all withdrawn in 1907. In October that year even the later buses were withdrawn, and replaced by horse buses again, the best bof the motor vehicles moving to East Kent, where Mr Wyndham Shire operated a local service until the company decided in 1911 to let petrol buses into Brum again. For over 10 years, they were all Tilling Stevens buses.
Peter

continuing...............

I am posting this wonderful photo, not because of the Post Office building or the old bus as fine as they are, but because of that fantastic pole ladder. It must be a lot longer than we can see because somebody must be working off it as some people below are looking up.

How ever did they manage to get that through town, well at least it wasn't so busy in those days.

Having had some dealings with pole ladders, all I can say is I wouldn't have liked to have to put it up there.

Phil

Phil,
My Grandpa was a signwriter down in Bath where I came from. Before and between the wars he did a lot of signwork direct on to buildings as was the fashion then. He had to use pole ladders, the longest of which, he said, was 50ft. With a mate he pushed this with shorter ladders around on a two wheeled handcart. This was because unlike today they didn't use scaffolding towers etc. It would attract quite a crowd when the ladder was being stood up to a building and blokes watching would lend a hand with the ladder. He told me of times when despite having his mate standing on the bottom rung, the wind could move the ladder and there were times when he wrapped his legs round the ladder and slid down it as it started to go over. What would todays Health & Safety make of that? (He said he never told Gran this happened as it would have frightened her and she might have wanted him to pack up signwriting). He always said it was good exercise because as the sign progressed he had to keep coming down the ladder to see how it looked, as being so close to the lettering as he was doing it he couldn't see it properly otherwise! After the Second War large signwritten walls gradually gave way to smaller wooden boards and neon so in later years he worked for the Bath Co-op signwriting their milk floats and bakery vans and that way finished with high ladder work altogether.

Hi Mike,
Being a signwriter all my life I too have many memories of those ladders.
I used to slide down them also - until I saw a man on a building site do it and then let out such a scream, he had a huge wooden splinter go straight up into the inside of his leg.
That cured me forever.
Regards John.

Phil

Slightly off subject but not too much I hope.
Mole Street shows on one of Peter Walker's superb maps. This one is from 1553. I checked with him first before posting a copy of the relevant bit.

Attachments

• 1553 .jpg
    1553 .jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 7
At the risk of continuing off topic, and adding to the mutual self-admiration society as well, I wouldlike to add that I have always been amazed at the skill of the signwriter. I remember in 1948 or 49, when I was doing O-level and A-level art at school, the No 5 bus would take me past the Yew Tree pub on Brookvale Road opposite the river, just as a signwriter waa painting an Ansells advert on the gable wall of the adjoining property, overlooking the little forecourt (it would be a car park or smoking area now of course).
The special thing about it was that he added a pole ladder and a signwriter still doing the painting. He showed the ladder almost straight on, but the shadow cast as it would be when the ladder was resting against the wall at an angle. It was hard to tell when the real signwriter had finished. A couple nof years later I was going on the same bus to the School of Architecture, and I remember a chap was doing some large lettering - I'd say about three foot high - for which he had to get up and down all the time to make sure he got his verticals and horizontals right. I was amazed how he always did.
Above all, I very rarely saw a badly-formed letter. They were all at least elegant if not beautiful. You could never call such superb artwork 'graffiti'.
Peter

Back