• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Thanks for clearing that up Lloyd. Interesting photo and drawings. As you say the original didn't really show the windows (or is it just my old eyes?!).

In the 50s, The Theatre royal was demolished after more than 180 years.

Attachments

• City New St Theatre Royal Demolition 1956.JPG
    City New St Theatre Royal Demolition 1956.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 15
  • City New Street  Theatre Royal .jpg
    City New Street Theatre Royal .jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Summer Row, in the late 50s. Not long before the demolition men moved in.

Attachments

• Hockley Summer Row 1959.jpg
    Hockley Summer Row 1959.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 11
Colonial Road, Bordesley Green posted 23.8.1920

Attachments

• Bordesley Green Colonial Road 1900 s[1].jpg
    Bordesley Green Colonial Road 1900 s[1].jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 10
Hello Mike, although I have no recollection of some of the images, the vast majority of them do stir some long forgotten memories.

I have no memories of this one Ha Ha.

The only information with this one is that the man is a miller and he is outside his mill. It is said to be somewhere in Castle Bromwich.

Attachments

• Castle Bromwich Mill.jpg
    Castle Bromwich Mill.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 9
You may think this picture is off thread but it is the George Bragg Wine Cellar beneath The Theatre Royal,

Attachments

• City New St Pit Bar 2.jpg
    City New St Pit Bar 2.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 8
Stitcher:

That's a great photograph of the wine cellar and I certainly haven't seen it before.

Maurice

Another fascinating card, this time of Bristol Road Bournbrook, which helps to illustrate Delcame's range:

Attachments

• SellyOakBristolRdBournbrook[1].jpg
    SellyOakBristolRdBournbrook[1].jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 11
Maurice, glad you liked the wine cellar. Here is another on. These photos are dated 1901.

Attachments

• City Pit Bar New St   .jpg
    City Pit Bar New St .jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 10
An early morning start in 1893 on Mr. Henry Fowlers farm. Holifast, Erdington.

Attachments

• Holifast Farm 1893.jpg
    Holifast Farm 1893.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 13
Castle Bromwich Mill, with Mr West, The Mill and Buildings demolished in the 60s

Attachments

• Castle Bromwich Mill.JPG
    Castle Bromwich Mill.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Castle Bromwich Flour Mill 2.JPG
    Castle Bromwich Flour Mill 2.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Castle Bromwich Flour Mill 1894.JPG
    Castle Bromwich Flour Mill 1894.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 11
Thats amazing Dave, I have no idea where my photo came from but I when I show it you come up with that lot. Brilliant.

Castle Bromwich Mill, with Mr West, The Mill and Buildings demolished in the 60s

Dave, do you have any knowledge of this old mill's siting, by any chance?
The river must be the Tame and in the last of your pictures a high bank is visible in the background.
Just up the road from where I'm sitting is the site of the former Park Hall which was on the banks of the Tame and, viewed from the river, has just such a high bank.

Is it possible that the mill was part of the Hall's complex, or is the main part of the rather grand building actually Park Hall?

Ian

If you use the search button there is all the information and location under the highway.

Rupert, thanks for that. I'd just done so and realised that the Mill had no relevance to Park Hall. My home is maybe a quarter of a mile from the site of Park Hall and around a mile and a half from where I now know the Mill was sited, local history doesn't get much more local than that.

It has to be said that as mills go that one was on the posh side.

Just need to find out about Park Hall now. I frequently walk our dogs down there and the remains hold a certain fascination for me, and despite the close proximity of the M6 motorway it's a tranquil place to be.

Ian

St Phillips Churchyard has not always been a magnet for rowdy teenagers. This picture was taken in 1932.

Attachments

• City Colmore Row Birmingham Cathedral St Phillips.jpg
    City Colmore Row Birmingham Cathedral St Phillips.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 9
Was the site not were the old BIF USED TO BE?

Baron, yes, the BIF site would have been within view of the Mill, assuming that dates coincided.
Rupert's post reminded me of the seriously steep hill that the original route of Chester Road took as it passed Castle Bromwich (Bradford) Hall. It was almost vertigious in places.
I can, just, remember cycling/freewheeling down it on my way to Erdington.....and choosing an easier return route.
Google Earth confirms the severity of the slope as most of the old road is still visible from space..... unaccessible today, fortunately!

Ian

No Phil I don't think there will be anymore picnics at the airport. This isn't a post card, so I hope I am not off thread. But having mentioned the observation lounge, I thought you might like to see this one taken in the lounge bar at Elmdon in 1963.

Ann

Amazing for me to see this photo Ann!

Around 1965/6/7 I took more than one girlfriend to this very lounge - usually on first dates, to impress them! Never in my wildest dreams would I ever have thought of seeing this place again. I wouldn't even have remembered it without you posting the photo!

No wonder we all get hooked on BHF - what a treasure trove of things to find here.

John

Stich, nice pic of St Philips. As it was before the War I suppose that's why the railings are still in existance? Weren't they all removed for the War Effort?

Yes David, there was a policy of removing all metal railings for the war effort. I couldn't swear that those particular ones were used in that way but it seems very likely. I do have a picture somewhere showing some workmen removing metal railings. I will post it when I come across it.

Back